VOGONS

Reply 25440 of 27593, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ensign Nemo wrote on 2023-09-29, 22:58:

Did you record it and compare the waveforms as well? I'd be curious if you could eyeball differences that you couldn't hear.

At the moment i have not set up my recording stuff. But i keep it in mind to record both.

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 25441 of 27593, by kant explain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I spared a floppy disk from being bent up anymore then it was. The data on the disk isn't salvageaable. That is whatever could be gotten off of it already has. So said a floppu disk " expert". Not all of it was salvaged. But I couldn't bear to see ot abused any further (Nanna likes to sleep in that box).

Attachments

Reply 25442 of 27593, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kant explain wrote on 2023-09-29, 23:18:

I spared a floppy disk from being bent up anymore then it was. The data on the disk isn't salvageaable. That is whatever could be gotten off of it already has. So said a floppu disk " expert". Not all of it was salvaged. But I couldn't bear to see ot abused any further (Nanna likes to sleep in that box).

I still laugh every time I see these referred to as "micro" disks. Does anyone else remember when people used to call 3.5" disks "hard disks", because they were made of hard plastic?

Reply 25443 of 27593, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

We call them diskettes. But a lot of people called them floppies, but of course they are not floppy at all. I never used these terms:
Normal/Regular: 8"
Mini: 5.25"
Micro: 3.5"

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 25445 of 27593, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think its a thing of the country you live in to call them Floppys or Disks.
Here in germany they are also called "Disketten" most of the time.

Did you know that mobile phones are called "Handy" in germany?
I think its coming from a wrong translation/ misunderstanding.
When i look at super early tv shows where mobile phones are presented, american shows referred to mobile phones as "handy things"...
And our german media must have thought... "These things are indeed pretty handy... Lets call them like that because "Mobiltelefon (Mobile phone)" is quite long."

But thats just a theory.

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 25446 of 27593, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

An experience I'm sure many of you can relate to; I used one of my old computers to burn a disk image. I used ImgBurn, and I stupidly chose to try and burn the disk image directly from the USB stick on a USB 1 machine. There came a point in the process where it was clear that this either wasn't going to work, or it would take days, so I canceled it. But after having canceled, the process of canceling was taking forever, so I hit the reset button. After the restart, I copied the ISO to the hard drive, and started up ImgBurn again. But it said the DVDRW wasn't ready? I tried another blank CD, but it was not detected. I tried a disk with something on it, it wouldn't read that either. I made sure the drive was still in DMA mode (it was). I uninstalled and reinstalled ImgBurn, no change. I uninstalled the IDE channel, and when it reinstalled, no change. I checked, and there was a newer firmware available for the drive, so I updated it - no change. I pulled the drive, disassembled it, reassembled it, put it back in the machine, and it now works perfectly, and completed the burn with no issues.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 25447 of 27593, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Saw this video from MikeTech: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk9M_aKPrME
Then noticed that he has SIS471 motherboard there with bios from August of 1996! The latest bios for that chipset currently known is from December of 1995.
So as he mentioned he has uploaded the bios, i went to retroweb, but didn't find it. So i checked the discord thread for submissions and found the bios there.

Took it, fixed the L2 WB cache bug and revealed all the hidden settings. Applied that bios to my QDI V4S471/G board and it's working perfectly!

And now it got accepted in the thread, both the original and mine with a fix: https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/m-tech … s-r407-vesa-486

To my knowledge, it is the latest dated bios for SIS471 that is available in the whole internet. 😉

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 25448 of 27593, by gmaverick2k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Repo Man11 wrote on 2023-09-30, 12:43:

An experience I'm sure many of you can relate to; I used one of my old computers to burn a disk image. I used ImgBurn, and I stupidly chose to try and burn the disk image directly from the USB stick on a USB 1 machine. There came a point in the process where it was clear that this either wasn't going to work, or it would take days, so I canceled it. But after having canceled, the process of canceling was taking forever, so I hit the reset button. After the restart, I copied the ISO to the hard drive, and started up ImgBurn again. But it said the DVDRW wasn't ready? I tried another blank CD, but it was not detected. I tried a disk with something on it, it wouldn't read that either. I made sure the drive was still in DMA mode (it was). I uninstalled and reinstalled ImgBurn, no change. I uninstalled the IDE channel, and when it reinstalled, no change. I checked, and there was a newer firmware available for the drive, so I updated it - no change. I pulled the drive, disassembled it, reassembled it, put it back in the machine, and it now works perfectly, and completed the burn with no issues.

my floppy disk drive was gimping out on my 440bx as i had opened, cleaned and greased it for the first time. tried a couple other floppy drives no cigar. wanted to install win98 image on new sandisk extreme pro 128gb sd cad, hence gotek purchase. easiest fix, involved removing coin battery to reset bios

"What's all this racket going on up here, son? You watchin' yer girl cartoons again?"

Reply 25449 of 27593, by gmaverick2k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

converting my age of wonders cd's to bin/cues via md5 via alcohol 120 and poweriso. trying to fit a a shi*tonne of bin/cues on my win 98 build hence 128gb sd card which will have tracks and in game music. set cd/dvd drive to second drive and daemon as first to get in ame music in age of empires 2 using bin/cue.
tried media preservation frontend today, doesnt work using my z440 dvdrw 😒 went to alcohol/poweriso route. been using chatchitto poweriso v4.7 for over a decade 😁
https://github.com/SabreTools/MPF/releases

"What's all this racket going on up here, son? You watchin' yer girl cartoons again?"

Reply 25450 of 27593, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GigAHerZ wrote on 2023-09-30, 14:36:
Saw this video from MikeTech: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk9M_aKPrME Then noticed that he has SIS471 motherboard there with […]
Show full quote

Then noticed that he has SIS471 motherboard there with bios from August of 1996! The latest bios for that chipset currently known is from December of 1995.
So as he mentioned he has uploaded the bios, i went to retroweb, but didn't find it. So i checked the discord thread for submissions and found the bios there.

Took it, fixed the L2 WB cache bug and revealed all the hidden settings. Applied that bios to my QDI V4S471/G board and it's working perfectly!

And now it got accepted in the thread, both the original and mine with a fix: https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/m-tech … s-r407-vesa-486

To my knowledge, it is the latest dated bios for SIS471 that is available in the whole internet. 😉

Huh, I thought that looked like a very late VLB motherboard. That's awesome and thank you for uploading the modified version too 😀
Would it be compatible with lots of the SiS471 motherboards or specific to certain keyboard controllers? Do you know if it supports LBA?

Reply 25451 of 27593, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Thermalwrong wrote on 2023-09-30, 16:12:
GigAHerZ wrote on 2023-09-30, 14:36:
Saw this video from MikeTech: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk9M_aKPrME Then noticed that he has SIS471 motherboard there with […]
Show full quote

Huh, I thought that looked like a very late VLB motherboard. That's awesome and thank you for uploading the modified version too 😀
Would it be compatible with lots of the SiS471 motherboards or specific to certain keyboard controllers? Do you know if it supports LBA?

Large hard drives work.
All SIS471 B, G, E variants are interchangeable. There is SIS471 A (or without a letter) that is "different" and requires different BIOS. (Example: ASUS VL/I-486SV2GX4)
Purely from experience, not based on any specific document or spec.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 25452 of 27593, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DerBaum wrote on 2023-09-30, 09:53:

Did you know that mobile phones are called "Handy" in germany?

In Sweden we used to call cellphones 'nalle' (teddybear). Probably derived from 'yuppienalle'. It was meant to mock the strange people who thought themselves so important not to be able to leave home without their phone in the 80s and early 90s. 😀

Reply 25453 of 27593, by kant explain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Car phones? Did Sweden have widespread use of portable, albeit humongous handheld cell phones in the 80s?? Nokia is Swedish right? I doubt I've ever seen a large stand alone cell phone, until I had my first in late 1999.

Yes, to many people they seem to do double duty as therapy dogs.

Reply 25454 of 27593, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nokia is Finnish. Ericsson was the Swedish brand, partnered with Sony in the early 2000s then stopped making phones.

I was just a kid so idk about exact years, but cellphones were mostly for taxi drivers and salesmen in the 80s or so, but in the late 80s early 90s a small minority who were special and were subject to mockery.

Reply 25455 of 27593, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kant explain wrote on 2023-09-30, 17:40:

Car phones? Did Sweden have widespread use of portable, albeit humongous handheld cell phones in the 80s?? Nokia is Swedish right? I doubt I've ever seen a large stand alone cell phone, until I had my first in late 1999.

Yes, to many people they seem to do double duty as therapy dogs.

My uncle worked at the "Deutsche Post" wich was rebreanded to Telekom later.
Our whole family always had mobile phones for cheaper prices 😁 .

The first car phone i remember was a Siemens C1.
JxlQECC_fuipTegK.107.jpg

The handset was mounted in the front near the driver. The big box was mounted in the rear of the car.
For proper reception you needed a antenna drilled in the roof 😁

My "first phone" was a Ericsson GH198. I got it from my uncle when it was used, without a simcard, just to play with it.
It had a flip antenna wich was pretty cool... for a 12 year old kid 😁
ericsson-gh198.jpg

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 25456 of 27593, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finished painting the OG Xbox I got from the flea market a few weeks back.

file.php?mode=view&id=174945
file.php?mode=view&id=174944
file.php?mode=view&id=174943

Also rebuilt the HDD from complete scratch. No more UnleashX, now it's running XBMC.

Attachments

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 25457 of 27593, by kant explain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This was my first:

s-l1600(18).jpg
Filename
s-l1600(18).jpg
File size
337.12 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I want to say the call quality was better then (don't quote me on that). The first person I called was my father and he said it sounded like I was in the room yakking.

Reply 25458 of 27593, by kant explain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I like the blue underbelly. The white seems questionable. But it looks nice.

I have 2 xbox consoles (and a 360). I know they gatting a linux/windows upgrade. As far as externals, well I really want to go translucent. They were selling those some time ago. I won't pay 60 bucks per though.

Reply 25459 of 27593, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PcBytes wrote on 2023-09-30, 19:32:
Finished painting the OG Xbox I got from the flea market a few weeks back. […]
Show full quote

Finished painting the OG Xbox I got from the flea market a few weeks back.

file.php?mode=view&id=174945
file.php?mode=view&id=174944
file.php?mode=view&id=174943

Also rebuilt the HDD from complete scratch. No more UnleashX, now it's running XBMC.

Are you sure there isn't any enterprise networking hardware in that box? Looks like Cisco router with that blue greenish color. This is supposed to be a compliment.

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856