Bought this (Modern) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 1940 of 2072, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought the following items from a used computer dealer referred by a friend:

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER WindForce OC 4G (GV-N165SWF2OC-4GD) for NT$1500 (US$47.89)
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 WindForce 2X OC 4G (GV-N960WF2OC-4GD) for NT$1000 (US$31.93)
Antec NeoECO II 450 power supply (80+ Bronze) for NT$300 (US$9.58)

All were in very good conditions and tested in front of my eyes; this was probably the best deal I've got from a professional dealer, even cheaper than most non-professional auction sellers.

Reply 1941 of 2072, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I must have a keyboard fetish or something, can't help myself picking up keyboards every few weeks when I see something I like in a thrift store. This time it was a Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2, a $150ish board at release, so hope it'll be worth it's $10CDN used price. This one has the green switches... dunno what the hell that means at the moment, but I like the tension/feel so far. I didn't realize there was a matching wrist rest though, didn't notice one, but I would have looked harder while I was there.

dormcat wrote on 2023-07-28, 18:58:
Bought the following items from a used computer dealer referred by a friend: […]
Show full quote

Bought the following items from a used computer dealer referred by a friend:

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER WindForce OC 4G (GV-N165SWF2OC-4GD) for NT$1500 (US$47.89)
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 WindForce 2X OC 4G (GV-N960WF2OC-4GD) for NT$1000 (US$31.93)
Antec NeoECO II 450 power supply (80+ Bronze) for NT$300 (US$9.58)

All were in very good conditions and tested in front of my eyes; this was probably the best deal I've got from a professional dealer, even cheaper than most non-professional auction sellers.

Yah that's some decent pricing, hope they do well for you.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 1943 of 2072, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-07-30, 18:50:

Why GTX 960? This is kinda mid tending to bit of low end.

Sure, there are better GPU out there, new or used, but not at this price range. Most used GTX 960 fall in the price range of NT$1500-3000 on auction sites and I have no way to see or test any of them before purchasing.

For the record, a brand new GT 710 (MSI 1GD3H LP) costs NT$1490 and is still available today from different online and brick'n'mortar stores. 😅 I really wonder who would buy those.

Reply 1944 of 2072, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe people with servers/workstations. The onboard graphics capability of my Supermicro lga 2066 build is terrible. Video is pretty choppy (from an mpeg not a dvd). Literally any card is an improvement. Even the quite antoquated msi nx8400gs-td256e. 256mb of ddr2 iinm. I don't kmow about 4k or anything like that. Any recent celeron or pissy AMD A4, A6, ... Would do better. The onboard Rage XL or equivalent doesn't even have 3d capability afaik.

I bought 3 of those cards for about. 50$ some time ago. They were even unloading them on Delaware Craigslist. Clearly you could do far better
But you're not playing any modern games on it or even a GT 710. My EVGA gtx 750 ti oc can't even play Anthem. Or at least according to the man you need at least a gtx 760! Talk about a bum wrap.

Reply 1945 of 2072, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Found these to be useful for my HDD archival work. Just slip your drive in and it has a flip hatch for connecting the cables. Close it when not in use/storage. Also is vented for heat dissipation.

3.5" drives >> https://www.amazon.com/Silicone-Storage-Exter … f/dp/B0B582C4FB
2.5" drives >> https://www.amazon.com/SAN-ZANG-MASTER-Anti-S … f/dp/B0B581S2SJ

Reply 1946 of 2072, by vutt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Made my move finally after stumbling upon nicely discounted TRENDnet TEG-S350. Result attached.
Now I can utilise my NAS WD RED Plus HDD speed more.

Attachments

• Iperf3.jpg
    Filename
    Iperf3.jpg
    File size
    60.18 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 1to25GB.jpg
    Filename
    1to25GB.jpg
    File size
    84.95 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1947 of 2072, by vutt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently bought 75% keyboard for my main modern desktop. And fell in love with that.

So naturally I wanted to treat my retro rigs with same treat. Stumbled upon Perixx brand. Strangely enough they are still making brand new ps/2 devices.
Bought both ps/2 mouse and mini keyboard from them.

ps2key.jpg
Filename
ps2key.jpg
File size
328.86 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Sidenote: I did not pay attention while ordering. Ended up with German version. Fortunately Germans have been ruling in Estonia since Teutonic Order times so we have inherited a lot from Germany. Only one main stream character is missing. Although how the hell Germans ended up with "qwertz" layout compared to rest of the world? Y and Z keys are switched.

Reply 1948 of 2072, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vutt wrote on 2023-09-10, 19:44:

Sidenote: I did not pay attention while ordering. Ended up with German version. Fortunately Germans have been ruling in Estonia since Teutonic Order times so we have inherited a lot from Germany. Only one main stream character is missing. Although how the hell Germans ended up with "qwertz" layout compared to rest of the world? Y and Z keys are switched.

I actually think that French keyboards are also somewhat different from the qwerty layout.

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 1949 of 2072, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
H3nrik V! wrote on 2023-09-10, 20:41:

I actually think that French keyboards are also somewhat different from the qwerty layout.

A wise man once said; "I've got four-twenty-ten-nine problems and counting in French is one of them."

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1950 of 2072, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote on 2023-09-10, 22:07:
H3nrik V! wrote on 2023-09-10, 20:41:

A wise man once said; "I've got four-twenty-ten-nine problems and counting in French is one of them."

🤣 I'm Danish, and we're not THAT much better in counting ... It's nine-and-halfway-to-five-times-twenty ... at least the last part translates to just "half-fives"

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 1952 of 2072, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2023-09-11, 05:19:

Wat? Lol

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Danis … %20*etogtredive.

The Wiki explains pretty well - all though I might be biased being a native Danish speaker 🤣

Reply 1953 of 2072, by Demetrio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yesterday I got an used NVidia RTX A4000 16GB for 450€, from a local seller.

I need it for professional use.

Today I had a sleepless night so I decided to install it at 6 AM 😁

It seems working fine (tested with Quake 2 RTX).

Attachments

Reply 1954 of 2072, by TheChexWarrior

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I bought, litsen carefuly, from a supermarket!! Yohanannuf in Israel, near Rehovot this CTRONIQ.

4gb ram, Celleron CPU, simple Intel HD Graphics, Windows 10 Home.

Insted of 1200 NS, 499 NS.
And all the neo-retro stuff works almost perfect!!

Attachments

Reply 1955 of 2072, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got a Logitech G403 HERO gaming mouse, and a couple of their G240 mousepads.

I like this mouse quite a bit and it feels great in my hand. Currently using it at 2500 DPI which feels the most natural to me, at least for now. The Logitech G HUB software is kinda crappy though. It doesn't have an offline installer, so you need an internet connection to set it up initially, which sucks if you have a mostly offline Win7 retro rig like I do.

Also, I barely managed to sync my profile to on-board device memory. It did work in the end, but the process was very unintuitive, at least for me. Anyway, the on-board profile now works even if I plug the mouse into one of my Win9x retro rigs, which is very nice.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 1956 of 2072, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheChexWarrior wrote on 2023-09-22, 12:54:
I bought, litsen carefuly, from a supermarket!! Yohanannuf in Israel, near Rehovot this CTRONIQ. […]
Show full quote

I bought, litsen carefuly, from a supermarket!! Yohanannuf in Israel, near Rehovot this CTRONIQ.

4gb ram, Celleron CPU, simple Intel HD Graphics, Windows 10 Home.

Insted of 1200 NS, 499 NS.
And all the neo-retro stuff works almost perfect!!

When netbooks era was in vogue, this was available at drug stores and supermarkets. The two that is typically usually not carried any computers.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 1957 of 2072, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Received i7 65W processor and installed into HP Elitedesk G3 mini and test drove that computer, with a installation of windows 10 22H2, currently updating. Done.

Whoa, much better with usb 3 speed. from usb 3 enclosure with samsung PM 256GB SSD on usb 3 port, to internal micron M600 1TB SSD SATA is about 400MB per second. New record for me.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 1958 of 2072, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In preparation for the Final Fantasy VII remake's second part coming out next year, and the probably impending rush to get them for christmas, I finally bought a PS5. Naturally, I immediately played Ace Combat 5 on it. Probably too much to ask of modern hardware, you know. Running an almost 20 year old game via a preorder bonus port.

IMG_2424.jpg
Filename
IMG_2424.jpg
File size
741.68 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 1959 of 2072, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My office decided to get rid of a lot of some older inventory and auctioned it off to the staff. Got a bunch of desktops for a few euros each. Most were previously given to people during covid to work from home and the outsides took quite a beating in those couple years.

Disassembled a few and they are all more or less the same - small h110 LGA1151 motherboards, 16G 2133 DDR4 memory, 120-240G SSD, i5 6400-6500.

One use case for these I had was to upgrade my current home office/light gaming PC, which is running a sandybridge xeon (essentially i7 2600).

You'd think that with 2 manufacturing and 4 whole CPU generations, the newer CPU would be noticeably better, even when its a tier-down from an i7, but no. Looking through benchmarks I saw that the sandybridge i7 gets slightly less average frames, but higher 1% lows vs i5 6500. Whats even worse is that I cant even get a meaningful upgrade for this platform later down the line since Intel decided to cuck early 1151 adopters by not releasing 6+core CPUs for these early gen chipsets.

Really goes to show what happens when a large company does not have any competition and gets too comfortable. Thank god for Ryzen.

Guess I'm sticking with sandybridge for now.

Attachments

• 20231010.jpg
    Filename
    20231010.jpg
    File size
    1.8 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6