Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 50720 of 52974, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Law212 wrote on 2023-10-23, 13:23:

I picked up this Creative Nomad Jukebox . It came complete in the box. I love that it had Creative rechargeable batteries in it. I put new batteries in it though.

2023-10-27 12.02.11.jpg
Filename
2023-10-27 12.02.11.jpg
File size
1.33 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I have several Creative products that are not sound cards.
All of them feel a little bit cheap.
For eample the creative Prodikeys... A cheap feeling computer keyboard combined with a cheap feeling musical keyboard makes it look fancy but not fun to use.

2023-10-16 17.28.49.jpg
Filename
2023-10-16 17.28.49.jpg
File size
1.61 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 50721 of 52974, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote on 2023-10-26, 13:03:

Bought a very compact Baby AT case.. It needed some repairs and cleaning, almost completely done though. These are what came out of it:

It looks like 386SX was a very popular platform for business use where I live, I have come across more 386SX systems than 286 or even Pentium class in the last few years. Odd.

Also, I need help with identifying the motherboard. There is an S logo on the back, and it's not SOYO's logo.

Yeah the late SX machines were a kind of "all you need" system for basic DOS office tasks, Wordperfect, Lotus 123 until your sheets got big and so on. I saw a lot in use into the windows 98 era.

Been discovering the landscape of the US computer market in 1992 through my researches into an AST Advantage 386SX/25 and it's possible multimedia edition. It seemed at the time, that there was a pent up supply of 386SX systems, maybe caused by a sales hold due to the AMD/Intel lawsuits, and in early 1992, the floodgates opened. 386SX for everyone, no please, take one home with you, the kids need one? The dog? Now as they struggled to clear this glut, what did Compaq do? Launch a price war on clones and competitors, using their excess capital and shaving their margins to a mere 2% to try to drive everyone else out of business... and were Compaq doing this to clear out 386SX? Hell no, they were discounting what was until now the high end workstation, the 486! So 486 prices are dropping like a stone through late 92 into 93 as this price war rages, and 386SX are getting fobbed off on discounters. So it seems pretty likely at this point that a huge amount of 386SX got dumped in non-US markets to score ready cash for the 486 fight with Compaq.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 50722 of 52974, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Radeon X1950XTX w/box.

Attachments

Reply 50723 of 52974, by Law212

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-10-27, 04:09:
Law212 wrote on 2023-10-26, 13:43:
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-10-25, 03:48:

Creative Nomad is an MP3 player right? Or does it use its own encoder?

MP3 player.

I just like anything by Creative. I have no need for this , but its neat . I will load it up with music. It has 6 gigs of space

Part way explains why you didnt like ATRAC3 encoding.

I was an early adopter of MiniDisc and remember it was far superior to MP3 of the same time period.

I dont remember ever seeing Mini discs being sold or even advertised. THe only time I saw a mini disk and player was when my friend was sent one by his uncle in hong kong.

Reply 50724 of 52974, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Law212 wrote on 2023-10-27, 12:44:

MP3 player.

I just like anything by Creative. I have no need for this , but its neat . I will load it up with music. It has 6 gigs of space

I was an early adopter of MiniDisc and remember it was far superior to MP3 of the same time period.

I dont remember ever seeing Mini discs being sold or even advertised. THe only time I saw a mini disk and player was when my friend was sent one by his uncle in hong kong.

I was the other buyer of a Mini-disc player (Sony) back in the day. Ahh... that was money well spent. I think I used it while traveling and, on the train, to work for a few months.

Reply 50725 of 52974, by sneeker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Mini discs where semi popular here in the uk in the mid 90's as they was smaller then a cd player but better then a walkman (in theory) so quite a few people had them at college for their bus journeys to and from college. I stuck with a walkman until I got an mp3 player in the early 00's

Reply 50727 of 52974, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A friend of mine almost talked into buying a minidisk player for my component stereo in the late 90's but I passed. There are at the local BestBuy back then, I was more interested in the Technics 100+ CD disk changer (which I eventually purchased on ebay cheap because of a bad rubber belt). I used to frequent a used CD music shop to get my media in the 90's and there was never one for minidisks.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 50728 of 52974, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-10-27, 12:00:

It looks like 386SX was a very popular platform for business use where I live, I have come across more 386SX systems than 286 or even Pentium class in the last few years. Odd.

It seemed at the time, that there was a pent up supply of 386SX systems, maybe caused by a sales hold due to the AMD/Intel lawsuits, and in early 1992, the floodgates opened. 386SX for everyone, no please, take one home with you, the kids need one? The dog? Now as they struggled to clear this glut, what did Compaq do? Launch a price war on clones and competitors, using their excess capital and shaving their margins to a mere 2% to try to drive everyone else out of business... and were Compaq doing this to clear out 386SX? Hell no, they were discounting what was until now the high end workstation, the 486! So 486 prices are dropping like a stone through late 92 into 93 as this price war rages, and 386SX are getting fobbed off on discounters. So it seems pretty likely at this point that a huge amount of 386SX got dumped in non-US markets to score ready cash for the 486 fight with Compaq.

http://www.righto.com/2023/10/intel-386-die-versions.html :

According to the 386 oral history, the cost of the original 386 die decreased to the point where the chip's package cost about as much as the die. By reducing the number of pins, the 386 SX could be put in a one-dollar plastic package and sold for a considerably reduced price. The SX allowed Intel to segment the market, moving low-end customers from the 286 to the 386 SX, while preserving the higher sales price of the original 386

No discounting was taking place at Intel, they were making a killing selling ~$2 BOM product.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 50729 of 52974, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

MP3 player.

The only Mini discs or players I have ever seen are what a friend in Norway buys off eBay UK and gets shipped to me for forwarding. Never seen them before (never even knew what they were back in the day).

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 50730 of 52974, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-10-28, 05:08:
http://www.righto.com/2023/10/intel-386-die-versions.html : […]
Show full quote
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-10-27, 12:00:

It seemed at the time, that there was a pent up supply of 386SX systems, maybe caused by a sales hold due to the AMD/Intel lawsuits, and in early 1992, the floodgates opened. 386SX for everyone, no please, take one home with you, the kids need one? The dog? Now as they struggled to clear this glut, what did Compaq do? Launch a price war on clones and competitors, using their excess capital and shaving their margins to a mere 2% to try to drive everyone else out of business... and were Compaq doing this to clear out 386SX? Hell no, they were discounting what was until now the high end workstation, the 486! So 486 prices are dropping like a stone through late 92 into 93 as this price war rages, and 386SX are getting fobbed off on discounters. So it seems pretty likely at this point that a huge amount of 386SX got dumped in non-US markets to score ready cash for the 486 fight with Compaq.

http://www.righto.com/2023/10/intel-386-die-versions.html :

According to the 386 oral history, the cost of the original 386 die decreased to the point where the chip's package cost about as much as the die. By reducing the number of pins, the 386 SX could be put in a one-dollar plastic package and sold for a considerably reduced price. The SX allowed Intel to segment the market, moving low-end customers from the 286 to the 386 SX, while preserving the higher sales price of the original 386

No discounting was taking place at Intel, they were making a killing selling ~$2 BOM product.

I fins the $2 BOM claim hard to believe but stranger things have happened so I don't know..

The 386sx was widely popular here around 1992-1994 though going by the computers I found and restored in the last year alone.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 50732 of 52974, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I thought the context was clear that I was talking of whole system unit costs rather than CPUs, but yeah the 386SX CPU had gotten cheap enough by early 90s that they were "free with the motherboard" practically, thus why there were so many soldered onto motherboards. It was at the tail end of this period that I made my first system components purchase, one of those 6 slot, smallest footprint 386SX boards with a soldered AMD 386SX/40 ... I paid $100 for that and two 1MB SIMM and I think the split was 40/60 $40 for the motherboard and 30 each SIMM.

edit: btw the closest to my memory of that board is the ECS 8517 if you were curious.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 50733 of 52974, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
debs3759 wrote on 2023-10-28, 05:19:

The only Mini discs or players I have ever seen are what a friend in Norway buys off eBay UK and gets shipped to me for forwarding. Never seen them before (never even knew what they were back in the day).

For my generation (born 1978) the MiniDisc was kind of popular as a portable device with "mix tape" kind of self recorded music. Imo the reason why it never really was a hit was that people thought it was meant to compete with the cd, where the compression made the sound quality sub-par. But as as an alternative to cassette tapes, it was brilliant especially as a replacement for Walkman or portable CD players.
However, MP3 all of the sudden was possible to do in portable devices, and the rest is history ...

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 50734 of 52974, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got a STB velocity 3D

20231026_153959.jpg
Filename
20231026_153959.jpg
File size
1.92 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
20231027_220521.jpg
Filename
20231027_220521.jpg
File size
1.31 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 50735 of 52974, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got these two mobos, and a Dell Studio 1737 (not pictured) that needs a few repairs. (missing power button and snapped right hinge plastic)

Left is a ASRock Z77 Pro3 that needs a lot of pin fixing, right is a classy P4-SDR combo of a Chaintech 9BJA0 that needs a northbridge heatsink as well as a few new caps.

Attachments

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 50736 of 52974, by Lutsoad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Bought this untested beauty for $15, turned out okay with nice and bright picture and no burn-in. My first monitor was also an amber monochrome and I'm happy I finally get to experience it again!

Attachments

Reply 50738 of 52974, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This morning's thrift haul, only 11 days elapsed since ...

BitWrangler wrote on 2023-10-18, 23:32:

Not all that retro, but definitely retro useful, I hope. Could not resist this thrift pickup of a Micro Solutions, Backpack CD-R... Now I've got a couple of USB externals and a cheapie generic parallel port case, but since this was a brand name in parallel port drives, I thought it would be great for compatibility with about everything that's hard to add an ODD to. I still like using CDs and reading old coverdisk and shareware CDs on period hardware. The manuals and cables were really mummified in multiple plastic bags, and all taped up, I could tell it had the PCMCIA card, and the parallel cable, I missed that it didn't have original CD or power adapter, I'll check back tomorrow in case those are there but separated to the CD and adapter racks, but I can probably make something work and find the drivers. This is supposed to work in DOS 95, 98, 2000, XP. Not sure about burning capability in DOS but wasn't expecting it. 3 way interfaces, USB, parallel AND PCMCIA (A parallel convertor card???)

Edit: good ole minus zero prolly has my ass covered... https://www.minuszerodegrees.net/backpack_cdr … kpack_cdrom.htm
EditII: possibly the model reviewed here.. https://www.cnet.com/reviews/micro-solutions- … 10x-40x-review/

... but look what turned up today, a Backpack Bantam, the older, more slimline backpack.

oxt2rybn11s01.jpg

It came in a box, with most of what it should have I think, 720k DD, 1.44HD floppies and a 5.25! Didn't look all that close yet, think it's a 360k might be a 1.2. It has the 5V PSU and the parallel cable. I guess I didn't need this one per se, but it sure as heck matches my older laptops better stylistically, in particular my "Chandler's Laptop" (RIP M. Perry) Compaq Contura 433 (but mine is mono). Also pictured is a bag of what I took for PSU cables when it was mummified in 2 extra bags over the top, but turned out to be PCIE power splitters, which are also useful, though probably I only have need for one or two in future. I always grab cheap power cables, rewire them for custom stuff.

So wondering if this is gonna be one of those "come along in threes" things now. I am already giving myself a talking to, "Listen buster, you don't need a THIRD backpack, unless it's maybe one of those that have a battery and can also be used as a walkman CD player, those ones are cool, but DEFINITELY do not buy any more now."

(Edit: whoops, brainfarts again, it was actually Ross's computer, just remember Chandler using it, the 4/25cx I think and mine the plain jane 4/25. It's my zlite that's a 433 ... maybe)

Attachments

• bpbantam.jpg
    Filename
    bpbantam.jpg
    File size
    667.44 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Micro Solutions Backpack Bantam
    File license
    CC-BY-4.0

Reply 50739 of 52974, by midicollector

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought these today:

- Creative Labs SBS20 speakers: I got lucky on this one, the price was cheap and they're in great condition. Goes along with the rest of my creative collection. I try to buy the creative branded stuff when possible just for fun, so this is the perfect fit. I also used to have these speakers at one time, but I've had a lot of speakers over the years so that's not really saying much. Still, I'm kinda excited about this purchase specifically, these are the perfect speakers for me.

- ASUS P5A Motherboard: I recently bought an ASUS P2L97 with a Pentium 2 333mhz and 128mb of ram, which I love and just recently got running for the first time. There's only one small problem that's been in the back of my mind this whole time: technically I owned a K6-2 333mhz... So I loved the P2L97 so much, I basically bought the AMD version: the P5A. I'm actually probably just going to end up shoving it in a closet because I'm enjoying the Pentium 2 333mhz so much, but I wanted to have the AMD anyway, just to have it.

- AMD K6-2 333mhz processor

- New in box Logitech First Mouse Plus: I previously bought a used one of these and liked it so much I decided to buy this new in-box version.

Have you guys noticed the massive lots of mixed processors or memory or mother boards being sold for scrap on Ebay? I saw a couple where processors were being listed by the pound, bags of them, AMD, Intel, all going to be melted down for the miniscule amount of gold they contain. I saw a lot of motherboards by the pound, still had processors and ram and everything, being sold for the same purpose. Kinda sad and upsetting, but nothing I can do about it. I don't really need bags full of pounds of processors sitting around my place....... or do I?....

Anyway, aside from bent pins, they looked in good working order, and you can get giant bags of them for under $100. I mention it because I'm kinda vaguely hoping maybe some collectors will scoop some of them up to save them from getting melted.