VOGONS

Reply 25760 of 27580, by midicollector

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Installed windows 98SE on my new 333mhz pentium 2, the install process was a bit weird because at the initial text mode blue screen where it says something like setup is preparing to install (after formatting) it just hung there, eventually I pressed control alt delete, rebooted from the install cd and then everything proceeded like normal. I suspect an issue reading from the cd. I haven’t seen windows 98’s install process in a long time, was very nostalgic.

Reply 25761 of 27580, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yah I think it verifies the disk which takes a heck of a long time on a slow to modest machine with a big drive, so appears hung, though I think I have had actual hangs at that point also.

Edit: though come to think of it, not in a while. I have an original 98 CD that shows only a few faint scuffs, but been dumping it to HDD and installing from there always seems so much faster and more reliable, even with a fast CD drive... or maybe particularly with a fast CD drive because it lets it spin all the way down before wanting a quick read off it, which takes 2 or 3 secs to hit speed then lets it spin down again... like a slow motion ambulance siren weeeeeeeeeeewoooooooo ... ... ... weeeeeeeeeeeewooooooo ... ... ...

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 25762 of 27580, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kingcake wrote on 2023-10-31, 03:26:
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-10-31, 03:21:

I bought an HP ProDesk 600 G1 with an i5-4590T. Im going to try and get Windows XP installed onto it and see if SDI can find some XP drivers for it...
First step on the road to a 4th gen Core ix XP machine.

Do you use SDI or SDI Origin? Recently learned of Origin after using the original SDI for a while. Might give Origin a try.

Im using SDI_R2111 by SamLab.ws

BitWrangler wrote on 2023-10-31, 12:47:
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-10-31, 03:21:

I bought an HP ProDesk 600 G1 with an i5-4590T. Im going to try and get Windows XP installed onto it and see if SDI can find some XP drivers for it...
First step on the road to a 4th gen Core ix XP machine.

I guess you wanna plan to find a higher clock i3 or something for it for XP, since that 4590T is low speed for power reduction. I came across one of those CPUs when I was out and about, and grabbed it thinking "4590 is more biggerer than 4570" then I got it home and had a good look and was all "Well shit." So yeah, didn't replace the full spec 4570 and sits on the shelf. Might look for a haswell ITX board for it though.

Im only using it as a test to see if I can find drivers for the Haswell series chipsets.

If I can get it to work I will move onto stage two.

I did quite a bit of research into the differences between the 4590T and 4570T. I know the 4570T has a higher clock speed but when Im finished testing it will live a very different and sedentary life.
I could have gotten the 4570T cheaper than the 4590T but I know I got the best of the pair for my use case.

Reply 25763 of 27580, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have been fiddeling around with Free MC Boot on Plastation2 again. After many years of not using Playstation2.
I got OPL running and have a 250GB harddrive in my Fat Ps2 with official Sony network adaptor.
And I have a component cable as well as an HDMI dongle, because it depends on what tv I will be using each time.

I am using a diffrent installation process than everyone else uses, as I have a set of Swapmagic that can load ELF files
automatically from a USB drive. Hence I just have the FMCB installer on a USB thumbstick in the correct place.
Then I install it on MC2 and not MC1 as nearly everyone else have. I have other ELF files on MC2 as well.

Before everyone else talk about 16TB disks, SATA converter boards and ExFat, then no I am not going that wild
as I only have very few original games for Ps2. And those are the ones I am using my setup for.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 25764 of 27580, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought some more cheap untested possibly FPM memory since I was converting 16MB EDO sticks to run as FPM, but if you look around then SIMMs can often be had fairly cheaply. One seller was selling them as for a RAID card which was 2x 16MB parity FPM 60ns sticks, the other was memory for a sequencer where they thought it was 1MB sticks but those are 16MB 60ns FPM as well 😀

To test them I first of all stumbled across my Asus PVI-486SP3 that has been sitting in a box for years, it was bought as spares / repairs and for good reason, it has huge gashes across the back destroying many traces. I'd just got my microscope when I was repairing this and although the repairs were messier than I do now, it did work a little better but I could never get L2 cache working which is why it was put back into storage. Not stored very well either, I'm pretty sure some of the scratches on the board were fresh from how I'd stored it 🙁

IMG_2195 (Custom).JPG
Filename
IMG_2195 (Custom).JPG
File size
1.05 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I took off all my original repair wires and used thin resistor legs to rebuild traces over the breaks, tidier and easier to do than my original enamel wire fixes.
The added plus of this is that now it's easy to see where every trace connects to since it's using the original traces, my original enamel wire fixes were messy and I couldn't tell what connected to what ~4 years later.

After fixing all the wires and cleaning up all the accidentally joined traces from solder blobs the board posts and L2 now works, but the floppy / serial / parallel ports don't. Tried swapping over the Super IO chip that must've come from a scrap board?? But it's not any better and I don't know what to do to fix it.

IMG_2185 (Custom).JPG
Filename
IMG_2185 (Custom).JPG
File size
884.53 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I got lucky though and one of my spare CF cards with an OS installed actually boots on this board with this weird "2a4iba09" BIOS which has better LBA support than the previous BIOS versions. I battled trying to get this thing stable and have so far discovered that this board hates Cyrix chips but loves the AMD 5x86. Can't use both banks of L2 cache either, that'll usually be very unstable so I've only got 128KB of L2 cache right now.
Since it can boot an OS I can live without the floppy / serial ports for now - those don't even work if I install an ISA card set up for floppy / serial / parallel only. Probably a bashed trace I've missed somewhere ergh.

Now the board is kind of working I put on a heatsink and started testing with Dosbench eventually getting Quake and Doom both stable:

IMG_2186 (Custom).JPG
Filename
IMG_2186 (Custom).JPG
File size
992.51 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Found some interesting results where I'm not sure if it's the limits of my RAM that I'm hitting but got the best performance adding in a wait state, benchmarking like this is kinda fun and now I can see what difference many of thse settings make:
2a4iba09
Diamond stealth3d 2000 or Stealth 64 DRAM
amd 5x86 @ 160mhz, 16MB RAM 2-1-1-1 0ws speed-slower slow-refresh on, CPU Burst Write off, Cache 2-1-2, L1 16KB Write-Back, L2 128KB Write-Back 8-tag-bits, vbios shadow off - 12.7 fps
amd 5x86 @ 160mhz, 16MB RAM 2-1-1-1 0ws speed-slower slow-refresh on, CPU Burst Write on, Cache 2-1-2, L1 16KB Write-Back, L2 128KB Write-Back 8-tag-bits, vbios shadow off - 12.8 fps
amd 5x86 @ 160mhz, 16MB RAM 2-1-1-1 0ws speed slower slow-refresh on, CPU Burst Write on, Cache 2-1-2, L1 16KB Write-Back, L2 128KB Write-Back 8-tag-bits, vbios shadow off - 12.9 fps
amd 5x86 @ 160mhz, 16MB RAM 2-1-1-1 0ws speed-slower slow-refresh on, CPU Burst Write on, Cache 2-1-2, L1 16KB Write-Back, L2 128KB Write-Back 7-tag-bits, vbios shadow off - 14.9 fps
amd 5x86 @ 160mhz, 16MB RAM 2-1-1-1 0ws speed-slower slow-refresh on, CPU Burst Write on, Cache 2-1-2, L1 16KB Write-Back, L2 128KB Write-Thru 8-tag-bits, vbios shadow off - 15.2 fps
amd 5x86 @ 160mhz, 16MB RAM 2-1-1-1 0ws speed-slower slow-refresh on, CPU Burst Write on, Cache 2-1-2, L1 16KB Write-Back, L2 128KB Write-Thru 7-tag-bits, vbios shadow off - 15.2 fps
amd 5x86 @ 160mhz, 16MB RAM 2-1-1-1 1ws speed-faster slow-refresh on, CPU Burst Write off, Cache 2-1-2, L1 16KB Write-Back, L2 128KB Write-Thru 8-tag-bits, vbios shadow off - 15.4 fps
amd 5x86 @ 160mhz, 16MB RAM 3-1-1-1 1ws speed-fastest slow-refresh on, CPU Burst Write off, Cache 2-1-2, L1 16KB Write-Back, L2 128KB Write-Thru 8-tag-bits, vbios shadow off - 15.6fps
amd 5x86 @ 160mhz, 16MB RAM 2-1-1-2 1ws speed-fastest slow-refresh off, CPU Burst Write off, Cache 2-1-2, L1 16KB Write-Back, L2 128KB Write-Thru 8-tag-bits, vbios shadow off - 16.0fps
amd 5x86 @ 160mhz, 16MB RAM 2-1-1-2 1ws speed-fastest slow-refresh on, CPU Burst Write off, Cache 2-1-2, L1 16KB Write-Back, L2 128KB Write-Thru 8-tag-bits, vbios shadow off - 16.1fps
amd 5x86 @ 160mhz, 16MB RAM 2-1-1-2 1ws speed-fastest slow-refresh on, CPU Burst Write off, Cache 2-1-2, L1 16KB Write-Back, L2 128KB Write-Thru 8-tag-bits, vbios shadow on - 16.1fps
amd 5x86 @ 160mhz, 16MB RAM 2-1-1-2 1ws speed-fastest slow-refresh on, CPU Burst Write on, Cache 2-1-2, L1 16KB Write-Back, L2 128KB Write-Thru 8-tag-bits, vbios shadow on - 16.2fps and 1658/45fps in doom

Reply 25765 of 27580, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tried to use Windows Update for Windows XP. It seems to have stopped working.

And yes I know it doesnt work out of the box any more.

I updated the Root certificates, installed Agent 2.0, made some changes to allow it to work but still nothing. It was working a few weeks ago but today nothing.

Reply 25766 of 27580, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Last night i cleaned and tested a 386SX board i bought in a lot a few weeks ago.

Compaq ProLinea 3/25zs RoadRunner (and yes, there is a roadrunner drawn on the PCB)

https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/compaq … 1-001-roadrunne

The battery had leaked.
I removed it and scrubbed the board in a white vinegar bath for around 30min
(No real visible damages. Just slight oxidation)
Rinsed and dryed it with hot air.
At first power up two caps exploded
I'm quite sure they were not essential for the board since they were connected and located directly near the power supply connector... So I removed all 4 SMD caps.

No more fire and smoke, the board powers up but i have beeps and nothing displayed.

1 long two short. This generally means display problem. But I tried both integrated and Isa VGA cards without any success. The "disable onboard graphics" jumper seems to have no effect.

Any ideas ?

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 25767 of 27580, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-11-01, 19:10:

I updated the Root certificates, installed Agent 2.0, made some changes to allow it to work but still nothing. It was working a few weeks ago but today nothing.

Using Windows Update on 2000, XP, Vista in 2022

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 25768 of 27580, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Repo Man11 wrote on 2023-11-01, 19:41:

Sorry I made a mistake in my first post, I meant update agent 3.0.

That video is exactly what I did...
It doesnt work any more.

Reply 25769 of 27580, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-11-01, 19:54:
Sorry I made a mistake in my first post, I meant update agent 3.0. […]
Show full quote

It doesnt work any more.

Were you using Legacy Update? Legacy Update on XP was working for me a week ago...

Reply 25770 of 27580, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VivienM wrote on 2023-11-01, 20:39:
ElectroSoldier wrote on 2023-11-01, 19:54:
Sorry I made a mistake in my first post, I meant update agent 3.0. […]
Show full quote

It doesnt work any more.

Were you using Legacy Update? Legacy Update on XP was working for me a week ago...

I cant get it to work at all today. It was working for me just a couple of weeks ago using the exact method I tried to use today...

Im hoping its the wifi dongle Im using, but it does have access to the internet.
Otherwise it wont work on a Haswell based system because like I said it worked on an Ivybridge based one just a few weeks ago 🙁

Reply 25771 of 27580, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
acl wrote on 2023-11-01, 19:15:
Last night i cleaned and tested a 386SX board i bought in a lot a few weeks ago. […]
Show full quote

Last night i cleaned and tested a 386SX board i bought in a lot a few weeks ago.

Compaq ProLinea 3/25zs RoadRunner (and yes, there is a roadrunner drawn on the PCB)

The battery had leaked.
I'm quite sure they were not essential for the board since they were connected and located directly near the power supply connector... So I removed all 4 SMD caps.

No more fire and smoke, the board powers up but i have beeps and nothing displayed.

1 long two short. This generally means display problem. But I tried both integrated and Isa VGA cards without any success. The "disable onboard graphics" jumper seems to have no effect.

Any ideas ?

Double check it doesn't have a mono/color jumper set to mono or something.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 25772 of 27580, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-11-01, 21:54:
Last night i cleaned and tested a 386SX board i bought in a lot a few weeks ago. […]
Show full quote

The battery had leaked.

Any ideas ?

Thanks !
I'll check that tomorrow

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 25773 of 27580, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
acl wrote on 2023-11-01, 22:01:
BitWrangler wrote on 2023-11-01, 21:54:
Show full quote

The battery had leaked.

Any ideas ?

Thanks !
I'll check that tomorrow

From the board pics, nothing actually looks likely for that, also it's only the 386sx boards that are more like rejigged 286 boards that are more likely to have it and this looks a couple of years later. However, another idea is that one of the video RAMs is close enough to the edge of the board to get damaged/cracked solder real easy so maybe that is disturbing things. Also if you're using it with a modern monitor, you might not be giving it the "load" it needs to see on the VGA port to confirm monitor is plugged in, some boards will fuss about that, others don't.

Reply 25774 of 27580, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This evening I re-cased my VIA build. I wanted a case that was shallow depth and not too tall but could fit an ATX board and PSU. I also wanted a 5.25" Bay to install a CD-ROM Drive. Finding a case was proving difficult. Eventually I stumbled across a case that had all the features I needed and was only £21! I took the punt and it arrived today.

Its an IONZ KZ11 and is made of top-grade tinfoil! Christ I breathed on the case and a crease formed in the rear side panel hahaha! I proceeded to install my build and I'm actually really happy with how it tuned out. I've housed a 140mm Themalright Fan in the front and a 120mm corsair fan on the side to cool the Voodoo 3 and Matrox M3D. Cable management wasn't too bad, although I had to remove the CD-ROM to fit the PSU when I couldn't ram it in and its a very tight space but everything fit. Actually I had to omit the SB32 as the drive cage in the bottom wont allow it to fit. I will drill the rivets and remove the cage at some point.

VheU0Iuh.jpg
DmkofiWh.jpg
9OTEvpCh.jpg

Reply 25775 of 27580, by ubiq

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Bancho wrote on 2023-11-01, 23:09:
This evening I re-cased my VIA build. I wanted a case that was shallow depth and not too tall but could fit an ATX board and PSU […]
Show full quote

This evening I re-cased my VIA build. I wanted a case that was shallow depth and not too tall but could fit an ATX board and PSU. I also wanted a 5.25" Bay to install a CD-ROM Drive. Finding a case was proving difficult. Eventually I stumbled across a case that had all the features I needed and was only £21! I took the punt and it arrived today.

Its an IONZ KZ11 and is made of top-grade tinfoil! Christ I breathed on the case and a crease formed in the rear side panel hahaha! I proceeded to install my build and I'm actually really happy with how it tuned out. I've housed a 140mm Themalright Fan in the front and a 120mm corsair fan on the side to cool the Voodoo 3 and Matrox M3D. Cable management wasn't too bad, although I had to remove the CD-ROM to fit the PSU when I couldn't ram it in and its a very tight space but everything fit. Actually I had to omit the SB32 as the drive cage in the bottom wont allow it to fit. I will drill the rivets and remove the cage at some point.

VheU0Iuh.jpg
DmkofiWh.jpg
9OTEvpCh.jpg

Ahh, that very specific pain of doing the work to try and find the perfect case for your needs, finally making a decision, and when it arrives it turns out to be nowhere near as sturdy or well made as it looked in the pictures. Even going with "name brand" case makers, I've had them not meet my expectations, even when I try to keep those expectations reasonable.

Reply 25776 of 27580, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I like the Zalman T6 for retro-ish ATX builds. Compact mid tower with an external 5.25 bay. Can hold 2 3.5" or 2 2.5" drives. Power supply on the top but has good cable management space behind mobo tray. They go for $50 shipped on the Bezos store.

I spy a Power Man (Inwin) power supply. I love those things. I buy them used on eBay and have yet to even get one with a noisy fan.

Reply 25777 of 27580, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Bancho wrote on 2023-11-01, 23:09:
This evening I re-cased my VIA build. I wanted a case that was shallow depth and not too tall but could fit an ATX board and PSU […]
Show full quote

VheU0Iuh.jpg
DmkofiWh.jpg
9OTEvpCh.jpg

Yah that's a bit tight, if you're not married to that particular CDROM you can probably find one a bit shorter. There's some that are more like 4:3 rather than 16:10 or whatevs... just being silly with the screen aspect ratio thing, but hope you know what I mean.

Reply 25778 of 27580, by ElectroSoldier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Managed to get Windows XP installed onto a Haswell core i5-4590T system and then managed to get all the updates for it too.
Its now running Windows 10 Pro but it was retro for a while anyway. It will form the digital audio part of my HiFi system with a 10.4" touch LCD.

Reply 25779 of 27580, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Been testing a bunch of motherboards and various hardware configurations.

Motherboard Testing.jpg
Filename
Motherboard Testing.jpg
File size
1.02 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Specifically testing my Pentium II 300 build having obtained a new (and hopefully working properly) Riva 128 video card.

Pentium II-300 ATX setup.jpg
Filename
Pentium II-300 ATX setup.jpg
File size
1.08 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards