VOGONS

Attn ykhwong: DOSBox 0.72 CVS crash when running Darklands

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hey guys, long time no see. I haven't played with DOSBox for a while and I got the itch again, so I pulled out my MT-32 and SC-88 (packed away since I moved a few months ago) and hooked them back up, and picked up ykhwong's DOSBox 0.72 (10/19/2007) CVS build for win32 (I'm running WinXP Pro).

Anyways, I installed Darklands v483.07 from a CD that came in a discount pack of games around 10+ years ago (also included Dune 2 and some other no-name titles). I then installed the Roland patch and followed the README.TXT instructions to make Roland+Sound Blaster work. I then ran INSTALL and chose Sound Blaster Pro (also tried Sound Blaster) with the appropriate settings.

I then ran the game and DOSBox crashed. I tried with all core types, and with high and low cycle counts.

I then reversed the Roland+Sound Blaster configuration via the instructions in README.TXT so that it would just use Sound Blaster. The game still crashed.

It runs fine in Adlib or MT-32-only mode, so there seems to be something wrong with the digital sound for Darklands or something.

I then reinstalled without the Roland patch to eliminate that as a factor, and it still crashed.

I've run a bunch of other games without issues.

update: Tried running with sbtype=sb1 in dosbox.conf and it didn't crash. Hmm... Tried the other sbtype's and it seems sbpro2 with the SB Pro (later) setting or sb16 with either of the SB Pro settings are the only ones that cause the crash - at least without the Roland patch and dual-board mode active (I'll have to go back and try those again).

Last edited by HunterZ on 2007-11-13, 00:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 18, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah sorry that was a n00b thing to do. Okay:

- Installed DOSBox 0.72 release. Runs fine with MT-32 + SB Pro (later) settings with sbtype=sb16.

- Tried using my dosbox.conf from the ykhwong 10/19/2007 CVS build with the 0.72 release version and it worked as well (wanted to eliminate .conf differences as a factor).

- Tried using AEP CVS Compile 2007-11-11 build with my ykhwong dosbox.conf and it worked fine as well.

This narrows it down to either a bug that existed on 10/19/2007 but not at the time of 0.72 release and not on 11/11/2007, or an issue specific to ykhwong's build. I'm leaning towards the latter as being more likely.

I guess I'll stick with the AEP build for now. I really like the menu bar in ykhwong's build though (was hoping that was official when I saw it, but I guess it's a patch someone wrote).

Last edited by HunterZ on 2007-11-12, 01:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 18, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah Virtual Pool crashes Dosbox on the latest ykhwong's build. I used to use his builds a lot but since I'm testing games for the database, I stopped using it because I came accross too many games that got broken so I stick to the "true" Dosbox now. Dosbox 0.72 is at such a good level that with a good frontend, you're not really going to need much more.

Reply 11 of 18, by OSH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can't understand one thing.
When I'm launching official DOSBOX release 0.72 and I type "mem" I've got message: 634 KB conventional memory.
But when I'm launching DOSBOX CVS Release from ykhwong from 28.10.2007 and I type "mem" I'v got message 633 KB. And for example DESCENT can't launch correctly... where is 1 byte of conventional memory???

Reply 12 of 18, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
OSH wrote:

I can't understand one thing.
When I'm launching official DOSBOX release 0.72 and I type "mem" I've got message: 634 KB conventional memory.
But when I'm launching DOSBOX CVS Release from ykhwong from 28.10.2007 and I type "mem" I'v got message 633 KB. And for example DESCENT can't launch correctly... where is 1 byte of conventional memory???

KB 😉 not byte 😜. And who knows? Yhk has added and changed so much in his builds. It's not like it's going to affect many games - it's quite the opposite. Having too much conventional screws some games up.

About Descent - saying "can't launch correctly" doesn't tell us anything.

Reply 14 of 18, by OSH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

"can't launch correctly" means, that DESCENT crash after start, or I see a message, the memory is "granulated". And I'm sure, that ist due memory lack. After start I have 633 KB conventional memory, after running DESCENT I see 599 KB conventional memory, and this is 1 kilobyte less than is required for DESCENT.
But in official DOSBOX release I've got 634 KB conventional memory, and after start of DESCENT 600 KB. This is required memory quantity.

Reply 17 of 18, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
OSH wrote:

Oh really??? When this is REALLY wrong forum, why speak others in this forum that Darklands crash on DOSBOX CVS Version from ykhwong??? Should I make a new topic called "Attn ykhwong: DOSBox 0.72 CVS crash when running DESCENT"? 😳

So - because someone else steals a car, it is okay for you to steal a car too?

Go to http://ykhwong.x-y.net/page.htm, select BOARD and read the sticky thread called "PLEASE READ THIS". On 2nd thought, maybe I should just quote it here:

ykhwong wrote:
DOSBox CVS builds with special features are NOT supported by the DOSBox team and developers. There will be little support for th […]
Show full quote

DOSBox CVS builds with special features are NOT supported by the DOSBox team and developers.
There will be little support for that here because it is an experimental build which incorporates experimental patches.

Some experimental features in the builds may affect the performance or compatibility.

Do NOT post daum cafe build-specific problems or bugs to VOGONS forum.

Thank you.

So please decide which build of DOSBox you want to use with your game: The official DOSBox 0.72 build, or ykhwong's build?

And when you have made your decision, post your question in the right forum.

Thank you - The Management.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions