VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kickaha

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

New happy member : didn't know that such a so great forum existed !

Well, i installed successfully Mechwarrior 2 for DOS under Windows 98 se ( 128 MB ram, Pentium 233, Sound Blaster AWE32( latest official driver ), latest DirectX 8.1; latest Windows Update; official 3DFx driver 1.07).

All run fine except for i can't change resolution other than 320*200 ( i run Mechwarrior 2 under Windows 98se ); I read txt files from the game and i suppose it's a VESA problem but i'm not sure. it seems that :

1) my video card ( 3DFx 2000 cpi 16 mb RAM ) isn't VESA compatible ?

2) i need an external prog to install VESA support..but will it stay TSR under Windows 98se ?

Has someone ever met the problem described above ? is there another way to run Mechwarrior 2 under Windows 98se in resolution 640*480 or 1024*768 ? i read quickly other forums here but now i've a big headache and i am completely lost. 😉

thanks for help and light please.

Kickaha

ps : i hope i described with enough details my problem : sorry my english is not very good.

Reply 2 of 19, by Kickaha

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Snover,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry, it's a 3DFx Voodoo 3 2000 PCI bus ( 16 mB ram ).

Well, using Scitech Display Doctor drivers v6.53 for windows, i can run MW2 in 1027*768 mode : it's heaven on comp's screen !

I don't understand why my card can't run it in that mode with officials 3DFx drivers.

Can i run MW2 using GliDOS or OpenGlide ? and how ?

thanks again for helping a newbie... 😉)

Kickaha

Reply 3 of 19, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Kickaha ...it's a 3DFx Voodoo 3 2000 PCI bus ( 16 mB ram ).

3dfx said it was VESA 2.0, so it's odd that it needed SDD.

Can i run MW2 using GliDOS or OpenGlide ?

Your best bet is to track down the Titanium version and used Direct3D.
http://www.geocities.com/k_lupinsky/index.htm

Reply 4 of 19, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GliDOS/OpenGLide will not work at all well on your system. It requires a lot of system resources and processing power and 3Dfx cards don't have certain OpenGL extensions that must be emulated by the OS making it run even SLOWER. Besides, your card has Glide support, so why not use it?

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 5 of 19, by Kickaha

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Snover, NSG,

Really thxs for ur reply : so i'll try to find Titanium trilogy. If i understand well, Titanium trilogy works best with a Voodoo 3 card ? is it Glide optimized ?

Now i'm trying SDD 7 build 340; 'll let u know how it worked.

Btw, thxs again for the link : incredibly useful !

Kickaha ( Abandonware lover )

Reply 6 of 19, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As far as I know no Windows Ver of Mech1/2 works in NT4/2K/XP....Feel free to correct me If I'm wrong. I hope I am....

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 19, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by DosFreak As far as I know no Windows Ver of Mech1/2 works in NT4/2K/XP....Feel free to correct me If I'm wrong. I hope I am....

Well, actually, he's using Win98SE. But it turns out that the Windows version has problems with just about every version of Windows out there. Not good.
https://activision.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/activ … &p_sort_by=dflt
Hrrmm...Where to go from here....?

Reply 8 of 19, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Perhaps 9x is blocking access to VESA modes for Mechwarrior? I never had any VESA access problems when I last used Windows 98 for gaming all the way back in 1998 but I guess it is possible.

Have you tried the game in pure DOS?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 9 of 19, by Kickaha

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

First thxs for ur answers; i made it work in 1024*768 with the Scitech Display Doctor driver v7.0 ( a beta build 340 ) : it's like in a dream ! i just have to switch to SDD driver, reboot and run MW2. A very little problem : in that mode, when i move my mouse ( a basic Microsoft "trekker" on port PS/2 ) on the screen ( in simulation ) , i see cursor "jumping" a little, it happens on all mouse's moves.

Kickaha

Reply 10 of 19, by Carrera

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just my 2 cents...
I have found most "older" DOS Glide games do not run well on anything above a Voodoo 2.
Since most of them never were programmed above 640X480 it ususally isn't a problem.

Reply 11 of 19, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Usually it's just a matter of finding the right Voodoo settings to get older DOS Voodoo games to run on a Voodoo3/4/5 in DOS.

Also, make sure you have the right version of Glide2x.ovl.

Pick a game, you may find settings on the internet to get it to run on your newer voodoo card.

Reply 14 of 19, by Kickaha

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Carrera,

Thxs for ur reply; do u know if Titanium Edition support Glide too ? i mean, will it work in Glide under Windows 98se when i'll run it ( i'm about to get it at last from a man on Ebay ) with my Voodoo 3 2000 ? is it automatic ?

Btw, i can't find Mechwarrior 3 's addon :Pirate's Moon ( or MW3 GOld ( it's in it ) : can u help me about finding it plz ?

thxs again for all

Kickaha

Reply 15 of 19, by Carrera

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had a Vodooo 3500 (the samne as a 3000) and after the 1.05 drivers all backwards compatibility was ruined. You have to use much older drivers for the card for that. That's why I went back toi a Voodoo2 SLI configuration. The Titanium edition does have both Glide and D3D support.
You can get MW3 Gold at http://www.infogrames.com .