VOGONS

Long Beep on startup

Topic actions

First post, by 8bitfink

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have this issue every now and then I power on and I get constant long beeps and no display. The board is a iWill i440LX Pentium-II, the ram is seated and ok. I tested with another GFX card and same.
I have unplugged everything apart from the Master HDD and removed other cards. I have removed and replaced the CMOS battery I am clueless at this stage.

Anyone have any ideas?

Reply 1 of 4, by 8bitfink

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I ended up taking one RAM Module out and seems to work. Though I bet it does it again, it is just random I will see anyway.

Reply 2 of 4, by Truffon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
If you didn't do it already, try to clean the ram slots and ram themselves with deoxit, IPA and a brush or something equivalent.

I have boards that tends to be problematic with ram as time goes on, and cleaning helps. (Corrosion I guess?)

Reply 3 of 4, by 8bitfink

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well it did it again this morning, posted then went to go into windows and beeped and display went off. Turned it off and beeps again, I will give that a go @truffon.

Reply 4 of 4, by 8bitfink

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks Truffon cleaned modules with ISO and slots, also dusted out with my Datavac . Started up twice now and works fine. Been a while since I have done that cheers!