VOGONS


First post, by Kubik

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Folks,

what kind of DRAM card goes to Toshiba T1910 / T1950 (and other Toshiba 486) laptops? Some sources say it's a proprietary card, while some others suggest it's a regular PCMCIA / JEIDA DRAM card. Also, if it is the later, which one? There are, according to Wiki, various versions, different number of pins, and even the ones with same number of pins (V1 and V2) are said to be incompatible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JEIDA_memory_card

I have fixed T1910 and T1950 (leaky caps) and they work fine, but they share one 4MB DRAM card which isn't great.
I can see some PCMCIA DRAM cards here and there, but it's not clear which ones are compatible.

Thanks a lot!

Reply 1 of 9, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's standard JEIDA as far as I can tell, I think the requirement for the Toshibas is 3.3v but I don't know if there are standards for the voltages and it's tough to find detailed info on JEIDA cards now.
I've used the memory card from a T1950CT in my Panasonic CF-41 which uses a half-length JEIDA card - so it stuck out the side of the laptop but it did work just fine.

Best to look for the Toshiba part codes, I've seen the RAM cards come up cheap pretty often but I've got all the ones I need.
PC-PA2012U 4MB memory card (3.3V)
PC-PA2013U 8MB memory card (3.3V)
PC-PA2014U 16MB memory card (3.3V)

Just search for (PA2012,PA2013,PA2014). There's someone in the UK selling batches of 5x of the 4mb cards right now.

Reply 2 of 9, by atar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
Thermalwrong wrote on 2024-05-21, 02:09:

Just search for (PA2012,PA2013,PA2014). There's someone in the UK selling batches of 5x of the 4mb cards right now.

I know that it's been 1.5 years since that, but did you mean ebay or something else?
Now there is a 32MB PA2015U card on Australian ebay, but it's way past my budget.
I wonder what's inside of a PA2012-2014U? Is it FPM or EDO? I wonder if it's cheaper to make a DIY card for this.

Reply 3 of 9, by atar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

It turned out at least Toshiba T1950CT (likely all the others T19xx too) can use 32MB cards! Now I have 36MB in my Laptop 😀

Reply 4 of 9, by przemek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
atar wrote on 2026-03-13, 09:02:

It turned out at least Toshiba T1950CT (likely all the others T19xx too) can use 32MB cards! Now I have 36MB in my Laptop 😀

Where have you found the 32mb card? Have you hunted for it? Or do you know maybe the other type of card that works too? I have T4900ct with just 8MB card and want to find the 32mb card.

Reply 5 of 9, by atar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
przemek wrote on 2026-09-11, 08:19:

Where have you found the 32mb card? Have you hunted for it? Or do you know maybe the other type of card that works too? I have T4900ct with just 8MB card and want to find the 32mb card.

On the american ebay there were plenty of them, also very cheap. There were two kinds, and from the description it was not clear which were EDO and which were FPM. Ordered both, and it turned out the FPM one was 1 dollar more expensive. So the seller probably knew they were more rare, but for some reason omitted the details. Also the logistics was weird, to get it shipped to Europe I would have payed something like $100. So I asked an american friend to buy and send them to me instead. That's why I can't easily find the seller now. If you don't find them I'll try to look it up.

Reply 6 of 9, by przemek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
atar wrote on 2026-09-25, 09:58:
przemek wrote on 2026-09-11, 08:19:

Where have you found the 32mb card? Have you hunted for it? Or do you know maybe the other type of card that works too? I have T4900ct with just 8MB card and want to find the 32mb card.

On the american ebay there were plenty of them, also very cheap. There were two kinds, and from the description it was not clear which were EDO and which were FPM. Ordered both, and it turned out the FPM one was 1 dollar more expensive. So the seller probably knew they were more rare, but for some reason omitted the details. Also the logistics was weird, to get it shipped to Europe I would have payed something like $100. So I asked an american friend to buy and send them to me instead. That's why I can't easily find the seller now. If you don't find them I'll try to look it up.

This is great news. I saw also 32mb cards on ebay us. I would use some 3rd party shipping service, for me the shipping was about 80EUR, also ridicules. If you could tell me which card to order would be great. These cards costs there about 5 dollars, so very cheap. Thanks in advance!

Reply 7 of 9, by atar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
przemek wrote on 2026-09-26, 19:03:

This is great news. I saw also 32mb cards on ebay us. I would use some 3rd party shipping service, for me the shipping was about 80EUR, also ridicules. If you could tell me which card to order would be great. These cards costs there about 5 dollars, so very cheap. Thanks in advance!

Yeah, looks like you found them. From the 2 variants take the one which costs ~$1 more. Or wait 9 days, till I get home and look it up.

Reply 8 of 9, by przemek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
atar wrote on 2026-09-26, 20:10:
przemek wrote on 2026-09-26, 19:03:

This is great news. I saw also 32mb cards on ebay us. I would use some 3rd party shipping service, for me the shipping was about 80EUR, also ridicules. If you could tell me which card to order would be great. These cards costs there about 5 dollars, so very cheap. Thanks in advance!

Yeah, looks like you found them. From the 2 variants take the one which costs ~$1 more. Or wait 9 days, till I get home and look it up.

I will wait and take your checked cards. I am very happy, my t4400c and t4900ct are waiting for it 😀 so please check your cards when you come back and tell me. Thx.

Reply 9 of 9, by Martin85

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

uh I read about great news. Just tomorrow i will get back to repair my t4700ct. I have a 8 MB card inside. Will take a look on ebay for the 32MB ones. Thanks guys!