VOGONS

First post, by spartaneye

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone,
I've been reading the forum for a little while now and I'm stuck in a build I'm in the middle of. Originally I found a Compaq Deskpro 2000 on a sidewalk that ran fine for a while, and I upgraded it with a Diamond Stealth 2000 PCI video card and a SoundBlaster 16 (2910) ISA sound card. Everything was running pretty good, except for some hardward issues with the soundblaster, until I came home from work one day to find the screen black. I rebooted and it only would give me a series of PC speaker beeps and halt... it never displayed anything, or seemingly went into any part of the boot process. I figured (perhaps hastily, and incorrectly) that it may be that the motherboard has fried, or that leaving it too close to a subwoofer had somehow corrupted something, so I decided I just wanted to build an old machine from the ground up as a fun project. I purchased the following pieces:

enlight tower case
Biostar MB-8500TAC-A motherboard with Intel Pentium I 75mHz processor
2 sticks of 32MB EDO RAM
Mitsumi 3.5" floppy drive
generic 10/100 Ethernet PCI card
Samsung PSCD201410A PSU

and I transferred over:

SoundBlaster 16 ISA (CT-2910)
Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 Pro
old harddrive (20GB)
old CD-ROM

Today the PSU came in and I threw it together over lunch. Unfortunately, its not displaying anything, the keyboard flashes its lights, the fans turn on, the harddrive doesn't seem to spin up... any ideas of where to start trouble shooting? Any help would be appreciated, thanks guys!
- Doug

Reply 1 of 13, by aleksej

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

First unplug hdd, fdd, nic. Keep pugged in:
cpu 😀
one RAM stick
videocard
keyboard.
check for correct settings of fsb/ratio/cpu voltage jumpers
then reset cmos
then try to run it, with plugging video and ram stick in various slots

Reply 4 of 13, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
spartaneye wrote:

Unfortunately, its not displaying anything, the keyboard flashes its lights, the fans turn on, the harddrive doesn't seem to spin up...

The keyboard LED flashing is a good sign, it means the mainboard is not completely dead.
The symptoms you described often occur when the IDE cable is not plugged in correctly at either the mainboard or the harddisk.

c.imp wrote:

one RAM stick

Better make that two sticks, it won't work with one in this case. 😉
EDO RAM (72-pin SIMM) is 32 bit wide, but Pentiums have a 64 bit memory bus, so you have to install SIMMs in pairs.

Reply 6 of 13, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What is the PC speaker doing? The beeps from it should tell you what is going on.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 7 of 13, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aleksej wrote:

5u3, for 30pin SIMMS - yes. Pairs is required. Newer 72pin SIMMS works as one stick in most cases.

Sorry, but I have to disagree... 😈
Installing only one 72pin module on a Pentium board would only fill half of the memory bank.

I've made up a table:

Number of modules needed to fill a memory bank:

| 30pin SIMM | 72pin SIMM | 168pin DIMM
| (8 bit) | (32 bit) | (64 bit)
--------------------+------------+------------+------------
286, 386SX (16 bit) | 2 | N/A | N/A
386DX, 486 (32 bit) | 4 | 1 | N/A
Pentium+ (64 bit) | N/A | 2 | 1

See also: Wikipedia

Reply 9 of 13, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can think of those SIMM-based memory setups as "dual channel". 😀 The useful Everest utility actually refers to it as such. Each SIMM is 32-bit and you need 2 to fill up the 64-bit bank. You only need 1 SIMM per bank on a 486 or 386 because the RAM bus is only 32-bits wide.

Reply 10 of 13, by spartaneye

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

the datasheet I have for the new motherboard doesn't mention anything about pc speaker error codes... but since hooking up the new speaker correctly (I had it connected to the wrong pins at first) it is giving me the (seemingly) same error beeps the other machine did, is there any sort of lookup anywhere that would have some of the basic error beeps listed out so I can try and find out what its trying to tell me? Thanks!
- Doug

Reply 11 of 13, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have to agree that in Pentium systems installing SIMMs in pairs is generally the rule of thumb, although not always true. For example, I had a K6 system based on an SIS 4471 chipset that allowed me to run the system with only one SIMM installed. Though, naturally there is a performance penalty for doing this since you are only using 32-bit databus for the RAM. I also have a nifty VLB Pentium 60 system that is based on a 32-bit planar and uses bank interleaving to emulate a 64-bit memory bus. Though that board can also operate in single SIMM 32-bit mode.

So basically not many boards work in half bank memory mode, and even if they support the feature it is best avoided due to bandwidth neutering.

Reply 13 of 13, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I have to agree that in Pentium systems installing SIMMs in pairs is generally the rule of thumb, although not always true. For example, I had a K6 system based on an SIS 4471 chipset that allowed me to run the system with only one SIMM installed. Though, naturally there is a performance penalty for doing this since you are only using 32-bit databus for the RAM. I also have a nifty VLB Pentium 60 system that is based on a 32-bit planar and uses bank interleaving to emulate a 64-bit memory bus. Though that board can also operate in single SIMM 32-bit mode.

So basically not many boards work in half bank memory mode, and even if they support the feature it is best avoided due to bandwidth neutering.

Nice info!
spartaneye's board is based on a standard Intel Triton chipset though.

@spartaneye
Here is a nice PDF with useful data about the Biostar MB-8500TAC-A. I just had a quick glance at it, this board seems to be rather quirky.
My recommendation: I would not spend much time on getting that one running, there are many better Socket 5/7 boards around.

If you want to try it anyway, forget about the IDE cable issue I wrote about above, boards with a reversed IDE cable usually don't beep at all.

Did you already test with a different graphics card?