First post, by songoffall
- Rank
- Member
So a BIOS update bricked an Acorp 6VIA81 motherboard.
On restart, I get "BIOS ROM checksum error". The system asks for a floppy disk.
It's an Award BIOS, the chip is one of the old large ones, and I don't have a BIOS programmer. Locally, there are cheap CH341A programmers, but I have no experience with them and don't know if they will work with old motherboards.
A full universal BIOS programmer is out of my budget atm, and would need to be ordered from the US, which is at least a month of waiting time.
What kind of a floppy is the BIOS expecting? I made a bootable floppy in MSDOS and copied both AWDFLASH.exe and several BIN files to it, and the system stopped complaining, but now it just says the media is a 1.44 floppy disk and just stops there.
Pentium 2 300MHz/Matrox Mystique/Sound Blaster AWE 32 Value
Pentium 3 733MHz/3dfx Voodoo 3 3000/Aureal Vortex 2 (Diamond Monster Sound)
Pentium 4 2.0GHz/GeForce4 Ti4200/Sound Blaster Live!
Core2Duo Q9400/GeForce 8800GT/Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty