VOGONS

Warcraft 2

Topic actions

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

The sound works good I think, but the vesa driver does not work. Do you know help ?

Reply 1 of 3, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think we need Vlad to post on this (yet again) and then add this to the FAQ for VDMSound. I, of course, have forgotten most of the details.

Basicly, an NT-based will _not_ support all the (DOS) VESA screenmodes that DOS and Win9x will. So, right from the start, you've got trouble.

IIRC, Warcraft II will work if you choose to start it up in full-screen, but then you'll run into another problem with your mouse.

There's a utility for this as well. In any case, it's a headache. You might seriously consider picking up the "BattleNet" edition of Warcraft II.

Reply 2 of 3, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:
I think we need Vlad to post on this (yet again) and then add this to the FAQ for VDMSound. I, of course, have forgotten most of […]
Show full quote

I think we need Vlad to post on this (yet again) and then add this to the FAQ for VDMSound. I, of course, have forgotten most of the details.

Basicly, an NT-based will _not_ support all the (DOS) VESA screenmodes that DOS and Win9x will. So, right from the start, you've got trouble.

IIRC, Warcraft II will work if you choose to start it up in full-screen, but then you'll run into another problem with your mouse.

There's a utility for this as well. In any case, it's a headache. You might seriously consider picking up the "BattleNet" edition of Warcraft II.

Yes, go full-screen when the game starts up (press Alt+Enter while the VDMSound license is displayed in the DOS box for about 0.5-1s).

As for the mouse, you don't need any utility with Warcraft, simply modify the game's setup file (there is an alternate mouse option in there... or am I talking about the wrong Warcraft? Someone should update the Warcraft entry in the compat DB).

V.

Reply 3 of 3, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, the entry in the compatibility database isn't very helpful. I scanned the SourceForge forum and found this:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go into your warcraft 2 directory and open War2.ini. In that file, find the line that says "vidmouse=0" and change it to "vidmouse=1" (Change the 0 to a 1)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hopefully that fixes it. Must've been some other "VESA Classic" that I was thinking of... Good call, Vlad. That's some memory you've got there.

Of course it probably helped that you repeated these answers a few thousand times.