VOGONS


First post, by fjasper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Dear Folks,

I am having trouble getting my PCI to USB Card with VT6421A to work.
My Specs:
MSI 5118 Motherboard
Pentium 166
32MB Ram
2GB HD
Elsa Winner 1000 PCI
BigTec PCI USB Card Via VT6421A
Win 98SE (no service packs etc.)

The issue:
I put the BigTec PCI to USB card in the computer. Windows
starts normally. I install the Windows 98 driver which came with the Card (on a small CD-Rom).
It seems to regonize it as a "correct" driver and trys to install it.
Then: "Boom", BSOD with "Fatal Exception 0D .. at 0028:C0028C6"

I can start in "safe mode" afterwards. If I disable the USB 2.0 ports and the "Via"-Chip in the system manager the computer runs fine again.

Any help would be greatly apreciated. Besides the PCI-USB issue, the system works fine. Maybe some special setting in the bios? All ISA-Slots are empty. Only the PCI graphics card and the PCI-USB adapter.

Best Wishes,
Fabian

Reply 1 of 4, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does it have a VT6212 or 6214 chip also ? the 6421 is for SATA/RAID not USB....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 4, by fjasper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

You are totally correct it has both the VT 6421A (RAID) and the 6214 chip (USB).
It is this card:
https://www.lets-sell.de/notebook-pc/schnitts … -erweiterung-pc

The RAID Part does not seem to be the problem (it appears without exclamation mark in the system).
The BSOD occurs directly after a message like " driver for via PCI to USB controller installed" pops up. It actually tries
to install the original driver from the CD and then BSOD.

Unfortunately, I am having troubles to get rid of the driver from the CD-Rom of the manufacturer. It always wants to install it and then BSOD.
I am starting to think that the driver itself seems to be alright but maybe something with IRQs is wrong? I am not an expert, just heard that IRQ-conflicts could be an issue?

Anyone having similar problems?

Reply 3 of 4, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ahh according to VIA the vt6214L is supported under Win98SE as a USB 2.0 device. Driver v2.70 is the latest AFAIK.
drivers: https://download.viatech.com/en/support/driversSelect.jsp
To uninstall try: remove/uninstall all USB devices from Device manager . Next search out for some .inf's, look for VIAUSB and USB2VIA. There may also be some "oem*.inf's" that are copy's (or am i thinking XP).
Then reboot and see what happens. It should not re-install the VIA drivers....Here is a picture of the driver files that could have been installed into Windows\system32.
Yeah you will need to figure out what IRQ / resource it is using and if a conflict....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 4, by eliot_new

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
fjasper wrote on 2025-02-18, 19:58:
You are totally correct it has both the VT 6421A (RAID) and the 6214 chip (USB). It is this card: https://www.lets-sell.de/not […]
Show full quote

You are totally correct it has both the VT 6421A (RAID) and the 6214 chip (USB).
It is this card:
https://www.lets-sell.de/notebook-pc/schnitts … -erweiterung-pc

The RAID Part does not seem to be the problem (it appears without exclamation mark in the system).
The BSOD occurs directly after a message like " driver for via PCI to USB controller installed" pops up. It actually tries
to install the original driver from the CD and then BSOD.

Unfortunately, I am having troubles to get rid of the driver from the CD-Rom of the manufacturer. It always wants to install it and then BSOD.
I am starting to think that the driver itself seems to be alright but maybe something with IRQs is wrong? I am not an expert, just heard that IRQ-conflicts could be an issue?

Anyone having similar problems?

Hello, I have found this old thread by pure coincidence as I was thinking about buying the BigTec combo card and searching infos about it.
Have you ever succeed in getting it work?
Can you use SATA and IDE devices along with USB 2.0 on Win98SE?

DOS:P166MMX,64MB,ECS,SpeaMirageV7,3dfxV1,AWE64,ESS1868,PicoGUS,32GB
W98SE:K6-3/400,256MB,P5A,Verite2200AGP,3dfxV2,M3D,AWE64,ESS1938,PicoGUS,64GB
XP:P3-1G,512MB,CUSL2C,FX5600AGP,Audigy1,80GB