Common searches

Age of Rifles video

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 50, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by gatticus I noticed I need a SVGA card to run this and other games. Is the ATI RAge 128 Ultra SVGA?

Well, since it's VESA 2.0, it supports a wide range of SVGA modes. I don't think there's such a thing as "Ultra SVGA" (unless it's a marketing term being used...).

Let's try this. Scitech has UniVBE v6.7 for DOS available at:
http://www.scitechsoft.com/products/enterpris … ree_titles.html

Download and install that. In whatever directory you place it, it will contain these files:
README.TXT
UNICENTR.EXE
UNIVBE.EXE
UVCONFIG.EXE
VBETEST.EXE

Start up a command line and run VBETEST and try out some of the various video tests. If it locks up, Ctrl-Alt-Delete, then kill ("End Task") the command prompt.

Also, you might try going to:
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
and grabbing the Windows 98 OEM bootdisk file. You just stick a blank floppy in your drive and double-click the boot98.exe to create a Win98 bootdisk. Delete the Drvspace.bin file off of the floppy and copy the VBETEST.EXE file from your UniVBE directory.

Now boot from that floppy and run VBETEST. I'm willing to bet that you will find that some tests pass that would not under XP.

Reply 22 of 50, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by gatticus I ran the vbetest it noted VESA 2.0 with -64K memory.

When you start up VBETEST, it should come up with text like this:

OEM string: IBM SVGA BIOS, (C) 1993 International Business Machines Version: VBE 1.2 with 4096 Kb memory […]
Show full quote

OEM string: IBM SVGA BIOS, (C) 1993 International Business Machines
Version: VBE 1.2 with 4096 Kb memory

Select test to perform:

[0] - Interactive Tests
[Q] - Quit

You then select zero for Interactive tests:

Select color mode to test: […]
Show full quote

Select color mode to test:

[0] - 4 bits per pixel modes [3] - 16 bits per pixel modes
[1] - 8 bits per pixel modes [4] - 24 bits per pixel modes
[2] - 15 bits per pixel modes [5] - 32 bits per pixel modes
[6] - Text modes
[Q] - Quit

Then select 1 for 8 bits per pixel modes (it's also a good idea to test for 16 bits and 24 bits later):

Which 8 bit video mode to test: [0] - 640x400x8, 1 page, Banked+Linear […]
Show full quote

Which 8 bit video mode to test:

[0] - 640x400x8, 1 page, Banked+Linear
[1] - 640x480x8, 1 page, Banked+Linear
[2] - 800x600x8, 1 page, Banked+Linear
[3] - 1024x768x8, 1 page, Banked+Linear

Test modes like these to see what kind of response you get. The 640x480x8 mode is the most important as it's the most commonly used.

Reply 23 of 50, by gatticus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I ran vbe from a MS prompt and got these results:
VBETest/Lite - VESA BIOS Extensions (VBE) Compliance Test
Release 8.00 (Aug 23 2002)

Copyright (C) 1993-2002 SciTech Software, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

OEM string: ATI RAGE128
Version: VBE 2.0 with -64 Kb memory

. Multi Buffering: No . Virtual Scrolling: No
. 8 bit wide DAC support: Yes . NonVGA Controller: No
. Linear framebuffer: No

[6] - Text modes
[Q] - Quit

Choice:
But it not perform any of the tests.
I then rebooted using a MS dos boot disk and got this:
VBETest/Lite - VESA BIOS Extensions (VBE) Compliance Test
Release 8.00 (Aug 23 2002)

Copyright (C) 1993-2002 SciTech Software, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Version: VBE 2.0 with 16384kb memory

. Multi Buffering: Yes . Virtual Scrolling: Yes
. 8 bit wide DAC support: Yes . NonVGA Controller: No
. Linear framebuffer: 3968 MB

[6] - Text modes
[Q] - Quit

Choice:
And the tests ran good. Problem is don't think I could get the game to run from the boot disk in Windows Xp. No CD support.
JOhn

Reply 24 of 50, by gatticus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I used a Windows 98 boot disk w/ cd support. Then I use VBETEST and got the same results with the MS-dos disk. That is the tests work.
So I decided to see if the program would install. On the screen that see if I have enough memory. It locked up on checking my XMS memory.
I also installed new Bios and no changes.
JOhn

Reply 25 of 50, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Originally posted by gatticus I ran vbe from a MS prompt and got these results:....OEM string: ATI RAGE128 Version: VBE 2.0 w […]
Show full quote

Originally posted by gatticus I ran vbe from a MS prompt and got these results:....OEM string: ATI RAGE128
Version: VBE 2.0 with -64 Kb memory

But it not perform any of the tests.

Then you are very much "up the creek without a paddle" for DOS games in XP. Apparently the DOS/Vesa support in XP for this card is just about non-existent.

I then rebooted using a MS dos boot disk and got this: OEM string: ATI RAGE128 Version: VBE 2.0 with 16384kb memory Select c […]
Show full quote

I then rebooted using a MS dos boot disk and got this:
Version: VBE 2.0 with 16384kb memory

As I suspected: works fine in DOS/Win9x, but XP support is garbage.

Problem is don't think I could get the game to run from the boot disk in Windows Xp.

As you have already found out, trying to use the floppy as the "poor man's dual-boot" has it's own problems. Some titles just don't want run when the OS is on a floppy (and that's what you have...).

The best bet is a Dual-Boot system. That's very easy if you already have Dos or Win9x installed (but not XP) and you have a gig of free space on your drive. XP even creates the dual-boot menu for you as its being installed. Installing DOS or Win9x after XP has been installed, however...is a massive pain.

For earlier titles that use a "real-mode" 386 or earlier. DosBox is a good alternative. Someday it should have "protected-mode" support and theoretically should support "Age Of Rifles". Unfortunately, that's a good way down the road...

Right now, unless you replace your video card, you can expect a lot of problems with DOS games (and this is above and beyond the problems people usually see with DOS titles on XP).

Reply 30 of 50, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by gatticus I get the demo of Age of sail to run within Windows.

Not much of a surprise as it's a Windows game.

My age of Rifles works fine on another computer (Win95) so It is not the game

Right. It's the combination of the OS and your graphics card. I'm now starting to understand ATI's "blanket" statement of non-support. You may get standard EGA/VGA game titles to run, but I'd be surprised if you got any VESA/SVGA titles to run at all.

Originally posted by Schadenfreude You ever read of way to boot Win9x from a CD-ROM?

Interesting boot floppy alternative.

Nope. Most people I know say it's not possible without re-writing at least a portion of the OS. It might be possible, but I've yet to hear of a success.

Originally posted by gatticus It sounds like have Win 95 or 98 and Windows Xp is the best way to go.

A dual-boot Win9x/XP system is indeed the best way to go. It's just that other than "starting over" there is no easy way to do it (and that, of course, means you will have to re-install your programs, etc...).

You can install Win9x after XP, it's just messy and not for the meek. I gave a rough outline in this thread:
showthread.php?threadid=988

In that case, he was using Windows 2000, but it works the same way. One of the most import things is to make a backup of your Boot.ini file before you modify it. Way too easy to mis-type one character and suddenly you can't access either OS. There are ways to fix that, of course, but then it's still more of a pain that you don't want to deal with...

Reply 32 of 50, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by gatticus Sounds difficult to add win9X after the fact.

It is. If you're not comfortable with a certain amount of "tweaking", it's probably a better bet to "start over".

I have presented this issue with ATI. It is not just a Age of Rifles problem.

Considering their previous response, I wouldn't expect much.

Reply 33 of 50, by gatticus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have posted this concern on other sites dealing with the ATI rage 128 PRO.
I guess another solution would be another video card. But I don't want to get another and have the same issue.
JOhn

Reply 34 of 50, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Since the ATi RAGE 128 is supposed by UniVBE you should be able to force it to use the correct settings using the following command line:

CONFIG.EXE -s1 -c20 -d9 -m16384 -3

It would be useful if you could run the CONFIG.EXE program using the boot disk and copy what it outputs. (CONFIG.EXE > output.txt)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 36 of 50, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gatticus wrote:

I have been working with the manufactor-Dell on this. It seems my video card is bad. They are replacing it.

Then kudos to Dell for supporting you when ATI bailed.

Hopefully, the replacement card won't have a negative 64K of video under XP.

Reply 38 of 50, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by gatticus Well, I found out the warranty on my Dell is expired so I am going to get another card. I was looking at a 3D FORCE B-16.

Whoops. Well, as long as you're buying, I implore you to at least get a basic GeForce...preferably a GeForce3. The "3D FORCE B-16" is a "nVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Vanta" card. That's the least capable, most crippled video chipset that NVidia makes.

You might also look at some cards with ATI chipsets, as they seem to have a "more compatible" VESA support (despite what happened with your Rage128).

Reply 39 of 50, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can pretty much guarantee you DELL has no idea what the hell they're talking about. That card is not faulty if it works correctly in true DOS. Why you would get anything other than a GeForce3 is beyond me.

Yes, it’s my fault.