VOGONS

Common searches

Metal Gear Solid PC

Topic actions

Reply 41 of 62, by bugmenot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would also like to know the status of this patch/hack. I dusted off and installed Final Fantasy 7 for PC the other day and had the same problem... my 8800GTS doesn't support 8-bit textures, thus no hardware mode.

Alternatively is there a way to force MGS to run in a higher resolution, other than 320x240 and 640x480, even if it is in software mode.

Reply 42 of 62, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It is my understanding that in the case of FF7, hardware acceleration is only compatible with a very, very small number of specific chipsets (such as the ATI Rage Pro and maybe the Voodoo2), and you might as well not bother if you don't have one.

But don't worry, Q-Gears should probably be ready in a few years.
http://q-gears.sourceforge.net/

Last edited by Jorpho on 2007-04-02, 14:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 45 of 62, by Wintermute

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Qbix wrote:

wasn't there a patch for ff7 that worked around this problem ?

Yes, just install this patch and choose Riva Mode in the setup program:
http://chtserv.dlh.net/cgi-bin/patdl.cgi?lang … f7rtnt.zip&ref=

Even if this was originally meant for Riva 128 cards (which were the first ones with this problem) it works fine for any other modern graphic card.

@DosFreak: Playing FF7 on the PC has many advantages. Aside from the much better savegame system it is moddable. And nowadays there exist replacement models for most of the deformed (and in my opinion ugly) game world models, which strangely enough didn't appear in battle scenes or movie files (where they used more realistically ones.)

Reply 46 of 62, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh, and there's no annoying cd swapping and memory cards either

for the record Metal Gear Solid runs fine without a patch on this Radeon9800pro here on XP in Direct3D.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 47 of 62, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:

It is my understanding that in the case of FF7, hardware acceleration is only compatible with a very, very small number of specific chipsets (such as the ATI Rage Pro and maybe the Voodoo2)

Wait, ,am I correct to say that FF7 (and maybe MSG too) does not use either Direct3D or OpenGL, and directly accesses the 3D hardware? You know, just like early 3D games like Whiplash that directly accesses the 3dfx hardware instead of using GLide?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 48 of 62, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think FF7 used Direct3D actually, I know the config program checks for the card's blend modes and features (and the only way it did that was through Direct3D initializing of course)

That game has lots of stability problems though. I can't even get it to work in software OR accellerated on Win98se on a P2 233 either 😁

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 49 of 62, by Wintermute

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No, Final Fantasy does indeed use Direct 3D for rendering. If I understood correctly, the problem is, that the game uses a seldom used and now oboslute function "8 bit palette textures", which isn't supported by almost every modern graphic card.

In origin they planned to support the Glide pipeline (In fact there exist a 3DFX-only demo of Final Fantasy VII), but later skipped this - probably due to 3DFX loosing influence on the graphic cards market at that time.
Some people even found traces of Open GL-Support in the executables, but it seems that it was never finished.

Reply 50 of 62, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

8-bit textures shouldn't be the reason. Usually, newer cards' drivers converts them to 24/32bit automatically on load. If that wasn't so, then how can I play Monster Truck Madness or Hellbender in Direct3D fine on my Radeon then? 😁

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 51 of 62, by Wintermute

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Check the config program on FF7 without patching. It definetely will show you "8 bit paletted textures fail". With the Riva TNT patch this setting is just ignored and worked around. So could be that it is only check but nevertheless this is very likely to be the reason, why the game doesn't run. 😉

Reply 53 of 62, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

MGS for PS1 should run fine with hardware acceleration using epsxe.

As for the PC version you'll only be able to run it in software mode unless you want to buy a PCI Geforce FX.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2008-06-04, 11:30. Edited 1 time in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 58 of 62, by Simplex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I will also experiment with Intel Extreme Graphics 2 in my girlfriend's laptop. System Shock 2 was running fine so I hope MGS will too.
I have a PS2 Dual Shock hooked up to my pc via usb adapter - I hope PC version of MGS will be able to take advantage of it.

Regards,
Simplex

Reply 59 of 62, by Simplex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

😳 I managed to run MGS on XP with GeForce 8800GT in hardware mode!

I used vista-fixed exe file from here

I can post screens if you dont believe me 😀

I have 2 problems now:
1) controller does not work - I can assign keys in options menu by pressing buttons on pad, but they do not work in game. Maybe I'll just use xpaddder, the game does not support analogue stick anyway.
2) I have to leave default 640x480 resolution, when I change it in the options, the game asks me to restart and then crashes every time. I have to reinstall. Is it possible to somehow manually change the res, in some config file? I noticed a possible place where this can be changed - mgsvideo.cfg, but thte file is in hex or something so I don't know how to touch it.

Any help appreciated. I am still amazed I actually managed to run it in hardware mode, which was supposedly impossible because in newer nVidia dropped support for some 8bit palletted textures or somesuch 😉
Even 640x480 does not look that bad once you set 8x FSAA 😁

Regards,
Simplex