VOGONS


First post, by Alesia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Hello again Vogons, I am once again asking for your help. Today I picked up a Hyundai Super 16 Turbo with this motherboard: https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/hyundai-super-16t

Unlike a lot of XTs I've seen, this has an onboard battery but doesn't seem to have a bios menu which leads me to believe that this computer should have came with some sort of System disk or Utility disk that allowed the time to be set. The owner gave me everything he still had of it, which didn't include any software sadly. No one seems to have backed up any special software for this system sadly either, so if anyone has any software or other documentation laying around for this computer/motherboard I would love to get my hands on it.

Thank you for your time.

Reply 1 of 7, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It had 2 disks with MS-DOS 3.2 or 3.3 and GW-BASIC and a third disk with diagnostics and turbo.com utility to set the cpu speed. Nothing special you can't do without, the speed is switchable with CTRL-ALT-ENTER too so you don't even need the utility. DOS was 'branded', displaying the Hyundai name when booting.

There is no BIOS setup or setup disk, just set the time using the DOS time command.

Reply 2 of 7, by Alesia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
konc wrote on 2025-06-08, 14:55:

It had 2 disks with MS-DOS 3.2 or 3.3 and GW-BASIC and a third disk with diagnostics and turbo.com utility to set the cpu speed. Nothing special you can't do without, the speed is switchable with CTRL-ALT-ENTER too so you don't even need the utility. DOS was 'branded', displaying the Hyundai name when booting.

There is no BIOS setup or setup disk, just set the time using the DOS time command.

I know I'm getting around to this very late, but I would appreciate it if you imaged your DOS boot disk if possible, but all three would be best. The Super 16T and 16TE both have RTCs with battery backup, this does not seem to be able to be set properly in dos without some specific utility, I'm unsure if this lived on the factory hard drive or on the Hyundai specific boot disk, but the evidence does point to it existing. I was able to get a set of disks myself for the Super 16TE, but the boot disk is heavily damaged and I doubt I'm going to be able to recover much off it. With the rarity of the Super-16 series dos disks, they really do need to be archived regardless of how special or unique they end up being.

Reply 3 of 7, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Alesia wrote on 2026-07-22, 15:27:
konc wrote on 2025-06-08, 14:55:

It had 2 disks with MS-DOS 3.2 or 3.3 and GW-BASIC and a third disk with diagnostics and turbo.com utility to set the cpu speed. Nothing special you can't do without, the speed is switchable with CTRL-ALT-ENTER too so you don't even need the utility. DOS was 'branded', displaying the Hyundai name when booting.

There is no BIOS setup or setup disk, just set the time using the DOS time command.

I know I'm getting around to this very late, but I would appreciate it if you imaged your DOS boot disk if possible, but all three would be best. The Super 16T and 16TE both have RTCs with battery backup, this does not seem to be able to be set properly in dos without some specific utility, I'm unsure if this lived on the factory hard drive or on the Hyundai specific boot disk, but the evidence does point to it existing. I was able to get a set of disks myself for the Super 16TE, but the boot disk is heavily damaged and I doubt I'm going to be able to recover much off it. With the rarity of the Super-16 series dos disks, they really do need to be archived regardless of how special or unique they end up being.

Can you please tell me what is the evidence pointing to it existing?
Also what happens when you set the date/time using the DOS commands (having of course a working battery)?

Reply 4 of 7, by Alesia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
konc wrote on 2026-07-22, 16:07:
Alesia wrote on 2026-07-22, 15:27:
konc wrote on 2025-06-08, 14:55:

It had 2 disks with MS-DOS 3.2 or 3.3 and GW-BASIC and a third disk with diagnostics and turbo.com utility to set the cpu speed. Nothing special you can't do without, the speed is switchable with CTRL-ALT-ENTER too so you don't even need the utility. DOS was 'branded', displaying the Hyundai name when booting.

There is no BIOS setup or setup disk, just set the time using the DOS time command.

I know I'm getting around to this very late, but I would appreciate it if you imaged your DOS boot disk if possible, but all three would be best. The Super 16T and 16TE both have RTCs with battery backup, this does not seem to be able to be set properly in dos without some specific utility, I'm unsure if this lived on the factory hard drive or on the Hyundai specific boot disk, but the evidence does point to it existing. I was able to get a set of disks myself for the Super 16TE, but the boot disk is heavily damaged and I doubt I'm going to be able to recover much off it. With the rarity of the Super-16 series dos disks, they really do need to be archived regardless of how special or unique they end up being.

Can you please tell me what is the evidence pointing to it existing?
Also what happens when you set the date/time using the DOS commands (having of course a working battery)?

Well, to start, the Super 16T (Turbo), Super 16TE (and presumably the Super 16TM/XT but I can't find an ad) were marketed on having RTC function with battery backup. You can view the ad here: https://www.1000bit.it/ad/bro/hyundai/Hyundai … Peripherals.pdf note that the Super 16T has RTC+Calender with battery backup as a feature by default but the Super 16 does not. Though the Super 16 had the RTC/Battery as an optional add-on board but not by default. This tracks with the Super 16T/TE/TM/XT all having RTC batteries on the motherboard while the Super 16 has no battery on the motherboard. The Super 16T/TE/TM/XT also have RTC chips that can be checked with a Hyundai specific diag program that warns that Date/Time will be lost of the check is proceeded with. Implying they felt the need to warn the user at all. If the system was intended to be forgetting it's date/time every restart I doubt they would have bothered with that warning, or a battery, or the RTC chip. Reviews of the Super 16T+ series all mention sets of Hyundai specific software on the DOS boot disk but they do not go into specifics sadly, but the software suites seem pretty extensive based on the descriptions. They mention the GW-Basic and Utilities disks separately (I have these and they do not contain the suspected utility in question), so I believe this software for programming the RTC was either written to the original HDD at the factory or was included in the DOS boot disk and might not be readily noticeable/buried in another program like the "Electric desk" program Hyundai included. It might have been read only by a specific program but without the disks/disk images or manuals it's impossible to say.

As far as entering the time and date in dos, this only persists for the session. A restart wipes the date/time completely, which means that the RTC chip isn't able to glean the information it needs directly from the DOS time/date entry. To cover all my bases, I ran the RTC chip diag check to ensure it was still working, ran out and got a new RTC battery despite already having a good one, and double checked my battery holder's continuity to the board. Everything checked out, so the RTC *should* be functioning correctly. This mirrors the behaviour that has been seen in other threads where the RTC should be/is functioning but doesn't seem to receive any info from normal DOS operation. Attempting to enter the date/time again via the DOS Time/Date also doesn't produce any change in the computer's behaviour. I didn't expect it to, but I wanted to cover my bases.

This is why I'm trying to find these disks or an unlikely HDD image, there's something more going on with these Hyundai turbo XTs and it's sad to me that they remain lost media like this, it's very hard to investigate what could be going on without all the tools/evidence to do so.

Reply 5 of 7, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

GLaTICK lists support for the Super-16TE: https://github.com/640-KB/GLaTICK
So at a minimum, the info on how to talk to the RTC is out there, and could be repurposed into a small .COM file. The idea of GLaTICK is it is an option ROM, that once installed, makes DOS time "just work" using builtin DOS support without utilities.

Reply 6 of 7, by Alesia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
jakethompson1 wrote on 2026-07-23, 02:29:

GLaTICK lists support for the Super-16TE: https://github.com/640-KB/GLaTICK
So at a minimum, the info on how to talk to the RTC is out there, and could be repurposed into a small .COM file. The idea of GLaTICK is it is an option ROM, that once installed, makes DOS time "just work" using builtin DOS support without utilities.

Interesting and good to know. I have no idea how I would get a com file from the glatick code but I might poke around and see if I can find a friend that can assist with that while searching for this Hyundai OEM stuff.

Reply 7 of 7, by Alesia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Sorry for the double post but Konc kindly backed up their 16TE disks and I got to test them out on my 16T. With the Hyundai Specific DOS 3.3 boot disk I was able to set the time on DOS start and it persisted through restarts. This is huge and allows the 16T and TE (owners of the TM and XT will need to test these DOS images to see if they are compatible with their specific version's RTC chips.) We are going to get these images backed up to all the usual places, I know I will be uploading an image of the boot disk to the internet archive to complete my 16TE image set along with the GW-Basic and Utilities disks.

Huge thanks again to Konc for getting these backed up