Common searches

Z

Topic actions

First post, by un[skill3d

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there,

I wanna play the game "Z" by the Bitmap Brothers. But it seems like it doesn't run on my Win2k. So, what can I do?!

cu then ...

Reply 1 of 16, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by un[skill3d I wanna play the game "Z" by the Bitmap Brothers. But it seems like it doesn't run on my Win2k. So, what can I do?!

*sigh*
un[skill3d, we need system specifications, not just your OS. If we had actual access to your machine it wouldn't be such a big deal to have all this info, but since we don't, it forces us to relegate to wild guessing without specs.

For example, I know "Z" is a DOS game that supports VGA and SVGA modes. Are you attempting to use VGA or SVGA? If you are trying to use SVGA, you will find that support in Win2K is not nearly as universal as in DOS or Win9x. Some cards are better than others. Since I have no idea what video card you are using, I have no idea as to what to suggest.

This is why we keep asking that people give us this data "up front". It's the same reason you want to give as accurate a description to your doctor as possible when contacting him by phone. You wouldn't just say that you feel bad and ask what kind of pill you should take.

Reply 3 of 16, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by un[skill3d GFX: GeForce 2MX
RAM: 512
Sound: Creative PCI 128

Not looking good.
Searched around and couldn't find anyone with XP that had been able to run it properly. Trying the demo, I was able to start it up with sound effects and music, but it always dropped back to the desktop without a displayed error.

One thing is almost certain, use SETVIDEO.EXE and choose "Force UniVBE OFF". NOLFB is probably needed as well, but I can't tell as I'm unable to the actual gameplay screen.

I'll try some more tinkering, but I wouldn't hold out much hope.

Reply 6 of 16, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by un[skill3d Oh, so does it run on Win98 SE, or WinNT?

I was able to run it on Win98SE. On XP it dropped to the desktop every time, just before the actual game-screen would normally appear. I would normally think it was a VESA issue, but VGA config did the exact same thing.

Reply 8 of 16, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This has a Windows version - "Z95", aka "Z Expansion Kit".
Go tool around this website:
http://zzone.lewe.com/zzone.html

You may have better luck with the DOS version, though. It doesn't sound as if they've had better luck with Z95. 🙁

Reply 9 of 16, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Schadenfreude This has a Windows version - "Z95", aka "Z Expansion Kit".
Go tool around this website: You may have better luck with the DOS version, though. It doesn't sound as if they've had better luck with Z95.

Unfortunately, the patch there is only for the "Z95" version, so there's no way I can test it at present.

Might come back to this later, but right-now I place this on my list of reasons to set up a dual-boot.

Reply 10 of 16, by Carrera

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I could only find Z + Expansion pack in Germany (and therefore in German). This isn't a problem for me but I did notice if you copy the English sounds over the german ones the units did speak English.
Aperently though, there is no way to even get THAT version working in Windows above WinME.
With my boot disk everything worked fine though.