First post, by eliot_new
- Rank
- Member
Hello everybody
As I have 3 cheap and very old graphics cards, I m currently trying to install and test on Win 98SE.
Underlying hardware: P3-450, BX mainboard, 768 MB SDRAM, 32 GB SD-card on IDE adapter.
I wonder whether it has some consequences if I install DX 7.0, DX 8.1, DX 9.0c?
Currently I m testing the Diamond Stealth S540 Savage4 with 32MB, AGP on Win98SE and DX 7.0.
Installed Deus Ex 1 and Quake 2 so far, next games will be WoT, Unreal 1, Tomb Raider 1 & 2, Midtown Madness, Drakan, Wipeout XL and all the other games recommended on vogons...
What could happen if I install, let say, DX 8.1, will this affect DX 7.0 renderer i.e. in Deus Ex 1, WoT, Unreal 1, Rune etc?
Same question for DX 9.0c?
I have read that Microsoft programmed DX to separate the render paths and that every version is backward compatible with the older ones?
This means I could start and play every DX 5.0 or DX 6.0 game on Win98SE with installed DX 9.0c?
DOS:P166MMX,64MB,ECS,SpeaMirageV7,3dfxV1,AWE64,ESS1868,PicoGUS,32GB
W98SE:K6-3/400,256MB,P5A,Verite2200AGP,3dfxV2,M3D,AWE64,ESS1938,PicoGUS,64GB
XP:P3-1G,512MB,CUSL2C,FX5600AGP,Audigy1,80GB