First post, by Maraakate
- Rank
- Oldbie
Per subject. I have a few Slot 1 motherboards where the plastic guides/retainers are broken. I'm assuming someone is 3D printing something or there's some sort of out deadstock available out there.
Per subject. I have a few Slot 1 motherboards where the plastic guides/retainers are broken. I'm assuming someone is 3D printing something or there's some sort of out deadstock available out there.
There are STL files (for 3d printing) available. Sounds like it is time to get yourself a 3D printer... Maybe I should start printing and selling stuff like that...
More bulky junk I don't need. I see there is a fellow on eBay with AMP branded ones available for about ~$15 each.
I did see that listing just now. Not a bad price if you have no way to make them yourself.
I will say that I have used my 3D printer to make stuff that was no longer available and even to make a new part for my in-warranty cloths dryer that took them over a month to get the correct original part.
Sure it takes up some space, but it has saved me a bunch of time and money in the long run.
Bumping this thread. I just got an Intel SE-440BX-2 and am trying to remember how slot-1 CPUs were locked in:
- It came with a Pentium II fitted with a CoolerMaster heatsink and fan, accompanied by a retainer that clips on top (which works / locks perfectly)
- I have a Pentium III 850 (which won't boot, but that's another story) with a Foxconn heatsink fitted that doesn't seem to fit (it clashes with the side supports)
- I also have a Celeron sat on a Slotket adapter (which *does* boot) that came with individual 3D-printed parts to lock it in (which might make sense, given the PCB is narrower than the side supports)
Are all CPUs and heatsinks meant to fit the same motherboard supports, or do they need to match? Thanks!
PacificState wrote on 2026-03-14, 16:12:Bumping this thread. I just got an Intel SE-440BX-2 and am trying to remember how slot-1 CPUs were locked in: […]
Bumping this thread. I just got an Intel SE-440BX-2 and am trying to remember how slot-1 CPUs were locked in:
- It came with a Pentium II fitted with a CoolerMaster heatsink and fan, accompanied by a retainer that clips on top (which works / locks perfectly)
- I have a Pentium III 850 (which won't boot, but that's another story) with a Foxconn heatsink fitted that doesn't seem to fit (it clashes with the side supports)
- I also have a Celeron sat on a Slotket adapter (which *does* boot) that came with individual 3D-printed parts to lock it in (which might make sense, given the PCB is narrower than the side supports)Are all CPUs and heatsinks meant to fit the same motherboard supports, or do they need to match? Thanks!
I believe so. I used to mix and match P2 and P3 slot 1s in various boards all the time with no issues.
PacificState wrote on 2026-03-14, 16:12:Bumping this thread. I just got an Intel SE-440BX-2 and am trying to remember how slot-1 CPUs were locked in: […]
Bumping this thread. I just got an Intel SE-440BX-2 and am trying to remember how slot-1 CPUs were locked in:
- It came with a Pentium II fitted with a CoolerMaster heatsink and fan, accompanied by a retainer that clips on top (which works / locks perfectly)
- I have a Pentium III 850 (which won't boot, but that's another story) with a Foxconn heatsink fitted that doesn't seem to fit (it clashes with the side supports)
- I also have a Celeron sat on a Slotket adapter (which *does* boot) that came with individual 3D-printed parts to lock it in (which might make sense, given the PCB is narrower than the side supports)Are all CPUs and heatsinks meant to fit the same motherboard supports, or do they need to match? Thanks!
IIRC, there was SECC1 and SECC2 types, plus celeron, which was just PCB. Some motherboards had "clever" supports which fitted any of them and locking attachments to match, but these were usually later boards. Early LX boards you could maybe only fit SECC1 in what was supplied. Additional to that, slotkets, some of them fit the celeron mounts perfectly, others which were taller or to provide extra security for heavy heatsinks came with custom adapters. So quite a variety, and if lost from motherboard or slotket, or unsuitable for type you are trying to mount, are a bugger to match up. So self adapted parts, DIY and 3D printing are often the better solution.
Many libraries have 3D printers these days, also you may find independants willing to 3D print stuff as a side gig on marketplace or other classifieds, or a fully commercial business that will 3D print for you. In the case where you don't want 8 cubic feet of dust magnet lurking until needed.
Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.