First post, by DosFreak
1. Try game first. Then try latest patch.
2. Try APCOMPAT.exe,2000/XP Compatibility Shortcut,2000/XP ACT's.
3. Reduce Acceleration. D3D/Sound
4. Try different executables. For install/running.
5. Do not use the shortcuts. If game doesn't work. Go to the game directory.
6. Affinity. Freezes/sound problems on dual-processor systems.
7. Play with game options. Disable/Enable Audio/Graphics options
8. Try different video modes. OGL/D3D/Software
9. Change desktop color. 256 color,16bit,32bit
10. Mix 'n Match files. CD ver works but floppy doesn't? Find similar files and swap,
Game looks similar to another game? Swap the files.
11. Do not install DirectX. During game install do not check the install DirectX option.
Always install DirectX Seperate.
12. Try switching to Full-Screen or Window. May fix speed issues or graphics problems.
13. Download any Codecs that the game may need.
14. Game doesn't work at all? Try emulation.
15. Look for Alternatives. Freeware version or new executable for the game.
16. Game doesn't install AT ALL? Try extracting with Winzip/Winar or Installshield
17. Email Company and complain....but make it civilized....barely.
18. Check NTCompatible.
19. Check Company's website.
20. Check Vogon's.
21. Use an Administrator Account to Install the Program
22. Log Off All Users Except the Account That Will Install the Program
The Fast User Switching feature is new to Windows XP, and because of this, most older
programs were not designed to support this feature. If you have multiple users logged on to
the computer, log everyone off except the account that will install the program.
23. Uninstall/Reinstall the game
24. Try different installation levels. Either install ALL of the game or the minimum
25. Copy all of the files off of the CD to the HD to verify that the files are not corrupted.
You can use programs for this but this is the simplest solution.
Just thought I'd throw this out. I'm going to assign what order a user needs to go through (the #'s don't really mean anything right now) and I'm going to flesh it out and add descriptions and links...but for now does anyone have anything else to add and whadya think of the list so far?
Remeber this list is JUST for Windows games. Gonna put my DOS list up later.