VOGONS


MikroMikko / ICL Indiana

Topic actions

First post, by skimmble

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Has anyone installed DVD drive in their ICL Indiana? If so, how did you manage to get it to work?
Everytime I try to boot my MikroMikko Indiana with DVD drive connected, Windows 95 and 98 both crash to a protecion error.

Reply 1 of 10, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
skimmble wrote on 2026-05-13, 20:38:

Has anyone installed DVD drive in their ICL Indiana? If so, how did you manage to get it to work?
Everytime I try to boot my MikroMikko Indiana with DVD drive connected, Windows 95 and 98 both crash to a protecion error.

Sounds like a jumpering/DMA mode issue. Does the drive work if you just boot-up DOS with a CD-ROM driver from a floppy?

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.

Reply 2 of 10, by skimmble

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Thanks for the reply. Any of the DOS drivers I've tried so far does not recognize the drive (Philips DVD8631/95) . I've seen other similar setup with this same dvd model - the drive was listed on its Win95's Device manager so I know it is compatible with Indiana. The mb is Acer V12LC-X2

Reply 3 of 10, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How is it connected? Does it share a cable with a hard disk, and if so in what order do you have them connected to the cable, and which jumper settings do both devices use?

Possible pitfalls:
- HDD and CD/DVD share IDE-cable and HDD is jumpered for 'single mode' instead of 'master'.
- HDD and CD/DVD share IDE-cable and they are set to cable-select (no, it doesn't always work and the device ordering matters)
- Your motherboard allows inserting the cables the wrong way around if the cables don't have the requisite pinholes blocked (not all older cables do)
- Your BIOS has HDD/CD auto-detect mode and it is bugging out. If the BIOS allows, you may be better off setting the device settings yourself rather than using Auto

etc. etc.

There are a lot of things to try, so it would be helpful if you could explain exactly how you have the drives wired and jumpered along with any screenies of the relevant BIOS-pages.

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.

Reply 4 of 10, by skimmble

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

HDD is connected to the primary IDE channel and DVD is in the secondary. Have tried both master and slave jumpering. Bios has been set with both "None" and "CD ". I also tried different IDE cable. All the cables are connected right way. Original Mitsumi CD drive works fine without problems. Also, I'm able to boot to Safe mode where Device manager shows none of optical drives recognized.
Attached are current bios settings.

Reply 5 of 10, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm... in your second BIOS-image 'Fixed Disk 3' is set to 'CD', which I would take to imply the slave device of the second port. If your DVD-drive is the only device on the second IDE-port/cable, I would jumper it as 'master' and set Fixed Disk 2 to 'CD', intuitively anyway.

Have you tested this DVD-drive on another system so that we can be sure it is a working unit?

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.

Reply 6 of 10, by skimmble

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Tested with the settings you asked, with no luck.
Just plugged the drive into my old IBM 300GL and Win98 found the drive with no problems and read the disc, so apparently it is fully functional. Also, just in case, I attached old LG GDR-8163B dvd-rom drive to MikroMikko and win95 and DOS found it. BUT it couldn't read any of discs (I'm not sure if LG's drive was fully working anyway)

Reply 7 of 10, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe - and this is me going off the cuff here - the drive is "too new". Maybe it cannot negotiate an appropriate PIO/DMA-mode with this ancient Aladdin chipset-based mobo? Although it seems they ought to be able to, I'm pretty sure even the latest drives stayed compatible all-the-way to the most basic operating modes.

When you say it isn't detected, do you mean: it does show as detected during POST but then Windows freaks out about it, or it does not look like anything is connected via the cable, as far as the POST/BIOS bootup messages are concerned?

Edit: because if the drive shows up as detected during POST, this could be a Windows IDE-controller driver problem instead.

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.

Reply 8 of 10, by skimmble

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Most likely there are just compatibility issues with this model. However, I noticed that DVD8631/95 I have is actually different revision than the one I saw earlier (DVD8631/44) and the differences may be just enough. I tested LG drive in IBM and it was detected but it could not read anything so probably it is broken. I may need to find a working one with a black bezel. Possibly other early dvd-rom models would work too.

Reply 9 of 10, by skimmble

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Does somebody know where to get the last bios for MikroMikko Indiana / ICL Indiana D and F models?
The version is R04-B013 and filename FBIOS.EXE

Archive.org does not have this file stored.

Reply 10 of 10, by skimmble

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

In addition, I'm looking for the original Fujitsu ICL monitor for Indiana to buy. So far I haven't found one from Ebay.