Common searches

New version of Glidos uploaded

Topic actions

First post, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just released v1.22. Hopefully that's got all the game speed problems knocked on the head.

Reply 1 of 21, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Except for the minor TR lighting bug we discussed earlier (for information, it's still there as you predicted), this release kicks some serious butt. Now all I need is getting my hands on Croc and I'll be ready for more (if any) bug hunting 😀

Edit: I just noticed the French translation of your site. Hat off to Alain and the TRO team for their dedication to Glidos on this side of the Channel!

Last edited by Kaminari on 2003-04-15, 06:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 21, by AntiSnipe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I THINK......I have most of the day off today, so I'm going to go play with it now too. From what time I had with 1.22 before breaking it (Doh!):

1. Starting a new game still made it begin in the menu ring randomly. I think it's sending the Escape press from skipping the opening movie into the game. This is not any major problem obviously, I mention it in case it points you to something else.

2. VESASupport: With it on everything works well, but the movies look a little worse. There are no scan lines and they look kind of "blurry". Without VESA support they have scan lines (like running without Glidos) but I get a little bit of "chirping/popping" noises from my speakers throughout the game (probably my system, not Glidos).
Again, not a big issue.

3. Game speed is right on.

4. It hasn't crashed/locked up yet. Version 1.20 locked up pretty frequently if I "rushed" the starting of the game by Escaping the logos and movies.

5. This one is bad. Played to the in-game cut scene at the end of level 4.
Here's a save right before it happens. The cut scene played, cutting off the very first part (lara kicks the gun away?) making the sound play out of sync by 3 - 4 seconds. Then at the end, part of the sound is cut off too. So the sound is delayed pretty bad through this and I suspect all the upcoming in-game cut scenes. After this is FMV that played fine, then........

6. Upon starting level 5 the camera is zoomed in way too close. Caused by changing, or not, resolution from the FMV? Accessing the menu ring and back out fixed it but........

I reloaded that save 3 times and #5 and #6 happened all 3 times, so this is not random. It also does this with Glidos VESASupport enabled or disabled.

Last edited by AntiSnipe on 2003-04-16, 00:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 21, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AntiSnipe wrote:

I THINK......I have most of the day off today, so I'm going to go play with it now too. From what time I had with 1.22 before breaking it (Doh!):

1. Starting a new game still made it begin in the menu ring randomly. I think it's sending the Escape press from skipping the opening movie into the game. This is not any major problem obviously, I mention it in case it points you to something else.

I used to have this problem. Don't know what causes it. It may be sending the ESC.

2. VESASupport: With it on everything works well, but the movies look a little worse. There are no scan lines and they look kind of "blurry". Without VESA support they have scan lines (like running without Glidos) but I get a little bit of "chirping/popping" noises from my speakers throughout the game (probably my system, not Glidos).
Again, not a big issue.

I didn't like the look of the scanlines, and thought they made the FMVs too dark, so I made Glidos detect them and fill in the gaps.
It does make the FMVs blurry. The chriping is because of VesaSupport too. Pushes the computer a bit too hard.

3. Game speed is right on.

Great! That was the main purpose of v1.22

4. It hasn't crashed/locked up yet. Version 1.20 locked up pretty frequently if I "rushed" the starting of the game by Escaping the logos and movies.

That's probably because of the varying process priority - the other main change in v1.22

5........will edit if any more.......

Reply 5 of 21, by AntiSnipe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Glidos wrote:

I didn't like the look of the scanlines, and thought they made the FMVs too dark, so I made Glidos detect them and fill in the gaps.

The chriping is because of VesaSupport too. Pushes the computer a bit too hard.

The movies look fine without the scan lines too, maybe better later on, I haven't gotten that far yet lately. Don't take my comment as critisizm, it's just minor cosmetic observations. On that note, the Playstation version (emulated on PC) does not have them and the movies look excellent, much better than Glidos or The vanilla PC version with or without scan lines.

The chirping does not seem to occur with Glidos VESA Support enabled. It does occur if I disable Glidos VESA Support and let my system handle it. Glidos even seemed a bit more stable with your VESA Support enabled in 1.20 (No, or less lockups from rushing opening movies). So I must conclude that Glidos' VESA Support is a really good (and "anti-buggy") thing overall. The option to disable it is nice though....just in case.

You da man Paul.

Reply 7 of 21, by AntiSnipe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, it's locking up and crashing to desktop now. I got to the end of Tomb of Tahocan and.......

1. Crashed to desktop right at the point the in-game cut scene should play.

2. Played the in-game cut scene and most of the following FMV, then hard locked during the FMV.

3. Played in-game cut scene, displayed the end of level info, and hard locked there.

4. Turned Glidos' VESA Support off. Played through cut scene and to the end of the FMV then crashed to desktop.

Could running this from a CD Image in a virtual drive be a problem?

Edit: Nope, that wasn't it. I ran it from the original CD and it played the in-game cut scene, displayed the end level info and locked up tighter than a nun's buns at a condom convention.

Edit some more: It locks up with or without VESA Support. It locks up in a window or full screen, and it locks up with VDMSound 2.0.4 and with the 2.0.4update1 version.

HERE'S a save right at the doorway to trigger the cut scene if anyone wants to try it.

Last edited by AntiSnipe on 2003-04-18, 06:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 21, by AntiSnipe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

More info:

It also does the same thing with Glidos v1.18.
I notice before the lockup/crash NTVDM.EXE is running. When it locks up, NTVDM.EXE stops. NTVDM keeps my 2.4 gig CPU pegged at 97% +.

NTVDM.EXE has a priority of High. I reduced it two, down to Normal and it made it through the FMV to the next level twice in a row so far.

Back to version 1.22 reduced NTVDM.EXE priority to normal right off, ran from that save.......DING DING DING! We have a winner! Problem solved.

Last edited by AntiSnipe on 2003-04-18, 08:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 21, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AntiSnipe wrote:

More info:

It also does the same thing with Glidos v1.18.
I notice before the lockup/crash NTVDM.EXE is running. When it locks up, NTVDM.EXE stops. NTVDM keeps my 2.4 gig CPU pegged at 97% +.

Yeh that's one of the problem supposedly cured in v1.22. Glidos
now drops the priority of the DOS box when there is no Glide activity, which usually means the game is sitting waiting for a key press.

NTVDM.EXE has a priority of High. I reduced it two, down to Normal and it made it through the FMV to the next level twice in a […]
Show full quote

NTVDM.EXE has a priority of High. I reduced it two, down to Normal and it made it through the FMV to the next level twice in a row so far.

Back to version 1.22 reduced NTVDM.EXE priority to normal right off, ran from that save.......DING DING DING! We have a winner! Problem solved.

That's useful to know, but I can't just get rid of the priority increase because others need it to avoid audio break up.

Could you try out the version of PollPipe.dll that is in the NoPri.zip archive attached to a post in the "PIT Perfect" thread?

Reply 10 of 21, by AntiSnipe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sure. I'll get back to you tomorrow on it.....sleepy now.

As for the priority, it's no biggie as long as I know how to work around it. Could it be a user setting in Glidos, like the gamma slider, maybe? Also, it was not a problem for me before, so it probably has to do with my current system (this is the one with the evil SIS chipset). Never the less, this all good FYI.

NTVDM.EXE still sits at 97 - 99 % CPU in 1.22 if it matters. Even after reducing the priority. There are times where Glidos is able and does grab something like 47% too, so its Glidos 47% : NTVDM 53% depending on what's going on.

Reply 11 of 21, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AntiSnipe wrote:

HERE'S a save right at the doorway to trigger the cut scene if anyone wants to try it.

Typically, everything works fine here on both computers.
🙁

Makes debugging very hard when I can't find a way to reproduce a problem.

Reply 12 of 21, by AntiSnipe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The version of Pollpipe.dll from the nopri.zip fixed it. I ran through it 3 times without a problem then put the old pollpipe.dll back and it locked up again during the FMV. This without changing the NTVDM priority. I'll keep using that dll and let you know if I notice anything odd from that.

The sound during in-game cut scenes is still off with either Pollpipe and either NTVDM priority. The sound is about 3 seconds late, or the first 3 seconds of the cut scene is cut off and the next level starts with the camera zoomed in too far.

One other odd and probably useless ovservance. When I load that save, then walk back outside (not through the end of level door) one of the horseman creatures that I killed already explodes. This already happened before I made the save, so it replays again.....odd. Scared the s*** outta me! 🤣. It doesn't seem to effect the other problem either way though.

Last edited by AntiSnipe on 2003-04-18, 20:01. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 21, by AntiSnipe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Bah! At the end of Sanctuary Of The Scion, it crashed to desktop again. I give up. I'll just have to keep kicking it in the a** and deal with it.

Attachments

• glideshutdown.jpg
    Filename
    glideshutdown.jpg
    File size
    14.67 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 15 of 21, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AntiSnipe wrote:

Bah! At the end of Sanctuary Of The Scion, it crashed to desktop again. I give up. I'll just have to keep kicking it in the a** and deal with it.

Last message "GlideShutdown" That suggests that TR decided to shutdown. Odd.

If you find time to do more tests: could you go back to the version of PollPipe.dll that comes with v1.22 and set up TR with no audio support. See if that cures it. I know that is a useless way to fix it, but it might tell us something.

Reply 17 of 21, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AntiSnipe wrote:

Good call. Back to 1.22 default pollpipe.........Without sound it seems to go through Tomb of Tehocan end level save without lockup.

Hmmm, so I wonder where the bug is. Is it a Glidos problem? Could it be VDMSound? Or maybe your audio drivers?

Difficult to know.

Reply 19 of 21, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

At the risk of confusing the matter, can he disable VDMSound when running with GliDOS and try running it with GliDOS using XP's native SB emulation?

Only by uninstalling VDMSound. 🙁

Maybe I should make this configurable.