Reply 20 of 30, by Repo Man11
- Rank
- l33t
That also occasionally happened with Socket A boards without a four pin connector; I can remember twenty plus years ago where a guy mentioned this happened to his Epox 8K3A+. A slightly out of spec, slightly loose connection leads to resistance, which leads to heat, and the heat increases the resistance, then the contacts begin to burn and the resistance spirals out of control. About ten years ago, my mother's PC had a low level electrical burning smell coming from somewhere but I couldn't find it. When it quit working, I figured out that the power cord for the power supply was out of spec and had burned up, both the cord and the contacts for the PSU.
A lot of times when you first start out on a project you think, This is never going to be finished. But then it is, and you think, Wow, it wasn't even worth it. - Jack Handey