VOGONS


First post, by chacha

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

RetroDebian Live — first public ISO release + v2-tmu-memtester

Hi friends,

I’m releasing the first public ISO of RetroDebian Live, a small live Linux distro built on Debian Etch for classic x86 retro gaming and hardware experiments.

The goal is simple: not a modern desktop forced onto old hardware, but a fast, light, period-appropriate system for Pentium II / Pentium III machines, old GPUs, Glide, UT99, and 3dfx testing.

This first release includes :

  • Debian Etch base
  • custom 2.6.24 custom kernel build
  • 3dfx / Voodoo2-focused setup, custom drivers including mismatched Voodoo2 SLI support
  • Pentium III optimizations, while still Pentium II compatible
  • tuned Fluxbox desktop
  • basic tools included: editor, terminal, htop, smbfs, fake neofetch, etc.

The ISO is still an early public release, but it already boots and works as a real live system.
The build pipeline and future editions are still planned for cleanup later, but I think it is useful enough to release now.

Current focus is clearly 3dfx Voodoo2, but more ISO variants may come later, including other drivers, tools, games/demos, and possibly NVIDIA-focused versions.

========================================================================
This is also a double release with v2-tmu-memtester, a small tool I did for testing Voodoo2 TMU memory issues.

v2-tmu-memtester is a heuristic diagnostic tool for Voodoo2 TMU memory issues. It exercises many data patterns and rendering paths, then looks for statistically suspicious behaviour, because TMU faults are not always detectable with a simple one-test / one-failure method. Still very beta tho, feedback appreciated !.

Our friend Bits und Bolts has already been using the ISO and the tool while troubleshooting a Voodoo2 card, and he just released a video showing it in action. This tool is still in beta stage and requires tuning / fixes. During my own tests it did find the exact issue on 1 card, for Alex it only spotted the faulty TMU, but it already helps.

========================================================================
Downloads :
https://gitea.chacha.ddns.net/chacha/RetroDeb … eases/tag/beta1
https://gitea.chacha.ddns.net/chacha/RetroDeb … odoo2-beta1.iso
=> individual packages are also available if one want to bake its own Debian.

Bits und Bolts channel & video :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVhEIGM3n0o

RetroDebian Project :
https://gitea.chacha.ddns.net/chacha/RetroDebian

V2TMUMemTester Project :
https://gitea.chacha.ddns.net/chacha/V2TMUMemTester

Feedback, bug reports, hardware compatibility results, and patches are very welcome .

Licence is GPL-3.0-or-later

Reply 1 of 4, by zuldan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chacha wrote on 2026-09-27, 09:53:
Hi Zuldan, I saw your PM but It seems that I haven't posted enough message in vogons to have the right to PM back... I dont wan […]
Show full quote

Hi Zuldan,
I saw your PM but It seems that I haven't posted enough message in vogons to have the right to PM back...
I dont want to steal this thread (with respect to Fagear/Witchery), so I'll just forward you to that one: RetroDebian Live — first public ISO release + v2-tmu-memtester
Everything you need is in that post, you can either get the tool binary or (easier) the distro iso wich also contains it.
++

Thank you. If you update the title of the post to something like Voodoo 2 memory tester…it might get more traction.

Reply 2 of 4, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
zuldan wrote on 2026-09-27, 10:13:
chacha wrote on 2026-09-27, 09:53:
Hi Zuldan, I saw your PM but It seems that I haven't posted enough message in vogons to have the right to PM back... I dont wan […]
Show full quote

Hi Zuldan,
I saw your PM but It seems that I haven't posted enough message in vogons to have the right to PM back...
I dont want to steal this thread (with respect to Fagear/Witchery), so I'll just forward you to that one: RetroDebian Live — first public ISO release + v2-tmu-memtester
Everything you need is in that post, you can either get the tool binary or (easier) the distro iso wich also contains it.
++

Thank you. If you update the title of the post to something like Voodoo 2 memory tester…it might get more traction.

Agreed! Here's something I've got to play with!

If it's dual it's kind of cool ... 😎

--- GA586DX --- P2B-DS --- BP6 ---

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 3 of 4, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was trying to figure out what ram chips were causing me grief , and I'm pretty sure the issue is on the second card in my SLI setup.
But for some reason the program only seems to test the first card , is there a way to force it to test the second card?

Reply 4 of 4, by TechieDude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
AppleSauce wrote on Yesterday, 12:08:

I was trying to figure out what ram chips were causing me grief , and I'm pretty sure the issue is on the second card in my SLI setup.
But for some reason the program only seems to test the first card , is there a way to force it to test the second card?

I think it would be easier if you tested each card individually. Testing them together will only make it harder.