Reply 20 of 23, by RetroPCCupboard
cyclone3d wrote on 2026-06-09, 16:26:The capacitors look fine but they may still be in need of replacement. With new caps and socket pin mod, you should be able to get up to 2.3-2.4 Ghz.
If it runs fine for what you are using it for, don't worry about it. Most of those large caps are for CPU and maybe RAM.
I am a little worried that I will kill the board if I recap it. There are a lot of caps.
As for upgrading the CPU, it is tempting. But, TBH, 1.4Ghz Athlon with Geforce 2 (or Geforce MX 460 - i haven't decided yet) should be plenty for a DirectX 7 machine. I will be building a P4 with Geforce 4600 for DirectX 8.
cyclone3d wrote on 2026-06-09, 16:26:The last KT7A board I got that was NOs, the first time I powered it up, most of the caps exploded. Made me jump and there was capacitor paper all over the place.
Yeah, that would scare the life out of me too. Did it work again after a recap?