VOGONS

Mechwarrior in DOSBox 0.72

Topic actions

First post, by ariqu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've read the other threads about how Mechwarrior stopped working sometime after .62 and about the 'intelligent=false' for the config file, but I've also seen mentioned that the intelligent variable is no longer read.

I've poked and prodded at it with and without memory management, low cpu cycles on all 3 of the cores, but I can't get this thing to come back from a mission. Dynamic core setting crashes DOSBox completely after a mission, the other 2 cores simply show that the running program has switched back to MW_MAIN from BTECH(the '3d' portion), but sits a blinking cursor.

So, is Mechwarrior still broken?

Reply 1 of 27, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Seems to work for me in 0.65, 0.70 and 0.72. I can get ingame and battle, load old save games from the 90s and such as well. I'd not use dynamic core for this old game

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 27, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Ariqu - maybe you can post the size (from a DIR listing) of some of the main game files here? If the sizes differ from what Leileiol sees, perhaps he has another version of the game.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 27, by ariqu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Attached is the listing of all of the files in my directory (Best viewed in DOS edit). It is cracked, although I have tried it without the crack, and it does the same thing. This version came on 2 floppies with both Battletech games for DOS. I wasn't aware of any other versions, although I was always baffled by the Adlib sound support claim on the packaging... It never worked for me.

Attachments

• Filename
    mechwar.TXT
    File size
    6.62 KiB
    Downloads
    471 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 27, by safurian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everybody

I have the same problem, every time I win a mission the screen freezes up and DosBox crashes...

shame

can anyone help me please. I know to little about this to help myself... shame again 😢

Thanks in advance for all the guys out there posting great solutions to these problems.

greetings,
Safurian

Reply 7 of 27, by Sephiroth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use a normal core with 7500 cycles to run the game like it ran on my old 486SX. I have tried a billion things and have the same problem. After you complete a mission or die, the screen goes black and it locks up. Using alt+enter doesn't fix it, and only ctrl+f9 will close out DOSBox at that point.

Also, mine was installed from floppy. I have the box set that had both Battletech games and Mechwarrior.

*EDIT*

Make that 4000 cycles with a full core. 7500 was way too fast. Either way, it hangs when "MW_MAIN" is called after a mission ends.

486 Launcher v2.0 is now under development!

Reply 18 of 27, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

You used it correctly.

You could also try typing just LOADFIX a few times, and then launch the game. Each time LOADFIX is run this way, it "eats up" a little bit of memory which sometimes makes a difference to the game.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 19 of 27, by hunzababy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

3 times is the max i can go, on the 4th time it say not enough memory.

first i try 1 time loadfix, it crashes after combat.
2nd try i loadfix 2 times, it crashes after combat.
3rd time i loadfix 3 times, it crashes after combat.

it seems after combat it crashes.

i use window xp to run, and do a quick combat, it run fine. The only thing is it is too fast to play..before i know it, the combat ends.