VOGONS


Soyo SY-5EAS, help needed with bricked bios

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 28, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sucks 🙁

T48 is a good choice. Will last a long time...
Mine has saved me tons of time. You can try different versions easy.

Sorry it didn't work out in a easier way.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

- "One hates the specialty unobtainium parts, the other laughs in greed listing them under a ridiculous price" - kotel studios
- Bare metal ist krieg.

Reply 21 of 28, by xDarkBonEx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Well hello once again!

Just as a continuation of the topic: I didn't buy a programmer but I got my hands on socket 370 motherboard which uses the same type of bios chip, mainly dip32.
I plan to hotswap chips to program the Soyo one.

I've yet to receive the motherboard which is Matsonic MS7191SM with 466mhz Celeron and it was untested so it may not work.
Here's the question, the only AGP card I have is Nvidia 7950 GT which is AGP 8X and the motherboard, according to the manual and internet supports only AGP 2x. As far as I've read those are not compatible because of the voltage differences.
1. Can I use PCI S3 card to check video output?
2. I've found a cheap Radeon 9200 AGP card, but it's described as 8x, it has two notches on the connector meaning it should be universal card right?

Thank you all in advance!

Reply 22 of 28, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xDarkBonEx wrote on 2026-06-22, 13:28:
Well hello once again! […]
Show full quote

Well hello once again!

Just as a continuation of the topic: I didn't buy a programmer but I got my hands on socket 370 motherboard which uses the same type of bios chip, mainly dip32.
I plan to hotswap chips to program the Soyo one.

I've yet to receive the motherboard which is Matsonic MS7191SM with 466mhz Celeron and it was untested so it may not work.
Here's the question, the only AGP card I have is Nvidia 7950 GT which is AGP 8X and the motherboard, according to the manual and internet supports only AGP 2x. As far as I've read those are not compatible because of the voltage differences.
1. Can I use PCI S3 card to check video output?
2. I've found a cheap Radeon 9200 AGP card, but it's described as 8x, it has two notches on the connector meaning it should be universal card right?

Thank you all in advance!

Good to hear!

1. Yes, absolutely.
2. In theory yes. Personally I have never had issues with universal cards.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

- "One hates the specialty unobtainium parts, the other laughs in greed listing them under a ridiculous price" - kotel studios
- Bare metal ist krieg.

Reply 23 of 28, by xDarkBonEx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Hello @Nexxen

The AGP standards are so ridiculous 😁

I will get the motherboard today so I'll post an update later today 😀

Reply 24 of 28, by xDarkBonEx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Hello @Nexxen
I'm sorry for the super late reply. The board is working as well as agp card I bought.

I tried hot flashing the Soyo bios chip but neither awdflash or uniflash let's me. It throws an error and that's it. What is funny I can backup the "broken" bios in uniflash but I cannot flash the new one. The board does not have write protect.

Any ideas?

Reply 25 of 28, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xDarkBonEx wrote on 2026-06-30, 10:55:
Hello @Nexxen I'm sorry for the super late reply. The board is working as well as agp card I bought. […]
Show full quote

Hello @Nexxen
I'm sorry for the super late reply. The board is working as well as agp card I bought.

I tried hot flashing the Soyo bios chip but neither awdflash or uniflash let's me. It throws an error and that's it. What is funny I can backup the "broken" bios in uniflash but I cannot flash the new one. The board does not have write protect.

Any ideas?

On the motherboard you are trying to hotflash, is there a jumper to select the voltage of the BIOS?
If your chip is 12V and this board has 5V selected, it could be that.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

- "One hates the specialty unobtainium parts, the other laughs in greed listing them under a ridiculous price" - kotel studios
- Bare metal ist krieg.

Reply 26 of 28, by xDarkBonEx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

@Nexxen

There is no jumper, so I guess the only way is to use a programmer.

Btw the new board is quite okay but I do have two issues with it, the usb hub disconnects after some time and the performance of Radeon 9200 is pretty poor and it seems those two issues are connected. I've tested it with S3 GPU and everything works pretty well.

Reply 27 of 28, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xDarkBonEx wrote on 2026-06-30, 11:22:

@Nexxen

There is no jumper, so I guess the only way is to use a programmer.

Btw the new board is quite okay but I do have two issues with it, the usb hub disconnects after some time and the performance of Radeon 9200 is pretty poor and it seems those two issues are connected. I've tested it with S3 GPU and everything works pretty well.

Try AWD66.EXE - if you are using the 7191 board.
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/ecs-p6bat-b

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

- "One hates the specialty unobtainium parts, the other laughs in greed listing them under a ridiculous price" - kotel studios
- Bare metal ist krieg.

Reply 28 of 28, by xDarkBonEx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

@Nexxen

I've tried this one as well, same error unfortunately. I've tried two versions of Uniflash: 1.40 and 1.20 and AWD 5.5, 6.6 and the newest one.

None of them worked 😞