VOGONS


First post, by Im from Windows

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Hi

running a "HP Invert v3.06" and a pentium 4. And that when i go into the BIOS its self it says "v02.54 copy write 1985-2004 American megatrends inc"

Anyone know where i should look in the BIOS for Hyperthreading/ Core Multi-Processing setting so i can change them please?

Thanks

Reply 1 of 15, by NeoG_

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"Invent" is just the company slogan from the mid 2000s, does the computer have a model number like "HP Pavillion a1224n" or something like that on the front or back

98/DOS Rig: BabyAT AladdinV, K6-2+/550, V3 2000, 128MB PC100, 20GB HDD, 128GB SD2IDE, SB Live!, SB16-SCSI, PicoGUS, WP32 McCake, iNFRA CD, ZIP100
XP Rig: Lian Li PC-10 ATX, Gigabyte X38-DQ6, Core2Duo E6850, ATi HD5870, 2GB DDR2, 2TB HDD, X-Fi XtremeGamer

Reply 2 of 15, by Im from Windows

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
NeoG_ wrote on 2026-06-18, 00:25:

"Invent" is just the company slogan from the mid 2000s, does the computer have a model number like "HP Pavillion a1224n" or something like that on the front or back

The motherboard came on its own

Reply 4 of 15, by Im from Windows

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2026-06-18, 21:32:

Looking up info from HP, it says to go to Advanced -> Device Options

So I had a look in there thanks! and from the bottom of the "advanced" tab I found
"I/O Device configerations" and pressing enter I found the following page with the following

Parallel port address [378]
Parallel port mode [ECP]
Parallel port IRQ [IRQ7]
dont know what they mean; but am i in the right bit of BIOS plz?

Reply 5 of 15, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I/O is for stuff like serial and parallel port (ports to hook up stuff like mice, printers, etc.)

I would say to just go through every menu one by one.

Does your CPU actually have hyper threading?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 15, by Im from Windows

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2026-06-20, 01:27:

I/O is for stuff like serial and parallel port (ports to hook up stuff like mice, printers, etc.)

I would say to just go through every menu one by one.

Does your CPU actually have hyper threading?

Sorry I do not know that! all i was told on another thread hear that this was the way to turn a duel core pentium into a single core pentuims so the games would run well on it

Reply 7 of 15, by Im from Windows

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
Im from Windows wrote on 2026-06-20, 17:01:
cyclone3d wrote on 2026-06-20, 01:27:

I/O is for stuff like serial and parallel port (ports to hook up stuff like mice, printers, etc.)

I would say to just go through every menu one by one.

Does your CPU actually have hyper threading?

Sorry I do not know that! all i was told on another thread hear that this was the way to turn a duel core pentium into a single core pentuims so the games would run well on it

Hear it is!
Re: simcity 3000 and 4 not working!

PS Cant see the edit post tab

Reply 9 of 15, by Im from Windows

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2026-06-20, 19:05:

Download CPU-Z and see what it reports the CPU as.

they dont do a 32bit version! and one that is capatible with win xp either

Reply 10 of 15, by luk1999

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Try CPU-Z Vintage or older CPU-Z version like 1.3x or 1.4x...

P4 3.4E, ASUS P4C800-E Dlx, 1 GB, X800 PRO 256 MB AGP, SB Audigy, XP SP2
P3 600, AOpen AX6BC, 128 MB, GF2 PRO 64 MB, ALS100+, 98SE
K6-2/300, MS5149, 64 MB, Virge 4 MB, V1 4MB, ESS1868, 95 OSR2

Reply 12 of 15, by Im from Windows

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2026-06-21, 20:15:

The older versions are still available. Try 1.79:
https://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/cpu-z_1.79-en.exe

OK so I have managed to download and install it and it has given me a note pad file, is this right? is this what you mean by display the info of the CPU? any way file attached thanks!

Reply 14 of 15, by DaveDDS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That seems to be just a "README" file describing CPU-Z itself, not output from the program. I'm not terribly familier with CPU-Z but I would expect it to tell you where it put it's output when you run it.

I don't think any P4s are multi-core, a few supported hyper-threading but IIRC those were called "P4 HT"

https://dunfield.themindfactory.com ; "Daves Old Computers" ; SW dev addict best known:
ImageDisk: rd/wr ANY floppy PChw can ; Micro-C: compiler for DOS+ManySmallCPU ; DDLINK: simple/small filetransfer(w/o netSW)via Lan/Lpt/Com

Reply 15 of 15, by Im from Windows

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2026-06-23, 21:40:

That is just the readme file. You need to launch CPU-Z and it should bring up a GUI and you can gather the info from there.

there is no CPU-Z program present on this machine!