VOGONS


First post, by mgtroyas

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Hello all,

The Why

After my previous high-density project 30 years epoch gaming SFF build (plus CRT), I decided to do something similar but for Operating Systems and Applications. So I took my Toshiba Portege 2010, a Windows XP ultralight laptop from 2002, which I had bought some years ago (because it was beautiful and I hoped it could be a good compact Windows 98 time machine), and started exploring the rabbit hole "how much back in time could I go only using this laptop, installing in parallel all operating systems previous to Windows XP?". Narrator voice: pretty far back in fact, and making a very interesting travel.

The attachment 20230413_171628.jpg is no longer available

The Who

The Portege 2010 has an elegant black and silver design, weights only 1,18kg (still 1,5kg with the bulky second battery), is less than 2cm width, and completely silent when not under heavy load (the internal fan isn't annoying either). An it nevertheless packs a lot inside:

  • 860MHz Pentium III-M Tualatin with SpeedStep (the first model that came with it?).
  • 256MB of RAM, upgradeable to 512 with a proprietary module probably none of us will ever find.
  • 30GB 1,8" ATA5 mini hard drive (the same used on the first Apple Ipods, in fact made by Toshiba).
  • Very crisp 12,1" active TFT 1024x768 screen.
  • Two USB 2.0 ports.
  • Trident CyberBlade XP/Ai1 integrated video card with AGP 4x and 3D acceleration, 16MB from shared memory. External VGA output up to 1600x1200.
  • Decent keyboard, although with somewhat weird key positioning, probably to fit it on such small size. Equally decent touchpad.
  • Ali M1535B sound chip with good enough integrated speaker sound and very good sound quality when connected to external speakers (low noise, powerful sound on my Creative GigaWorks T20).
  • Intel 10/100 ethernet, 56k Modem, Infrared port and integrated 802.1b Wifi.
  • SD card slot, Type II PC Card slot.
The attachment 20230413_171814.jpg is no longer available

There was a Portege 2000 a year before, which I also happen to own, identical but with a 750MHz CPU and 20GB HDD. Costing around $1,800 in 2003, more than $3.200 today, it was indeed a premium device, I can only imagine having back in the day such a powerful but light and small device with you on the move.

The attachment 20230413_171949.jpg is no longer available

The cons:

  • With the passing years the display shows darker marks on some spots, although only noticeable on plain colour bright screens.
  • As the reviews already noticed back in the day, "the door that covers the I/O ports on the back panel breaks much too easily".

These seem wide problems because both my P2010 and P2000 have them.

The attachment 20230414_132311.jpg is no longer available

Other than that I cannot say anything negative about it, other than the limitations it imposes when used with some old OSes, but that's something it wasn't designed for. It can even do some 3D gaming, perhaps comparable to a Voodoo3 when paired with this CPU?

The attachment 20260530_131328.jpg is no longer available

Input and output

Fortunately the P2010 plays nice with external devices. On one hand, it can detect if a external display is connected on the VGA port and then it uses it as primary and disables the integrated TFT panel, or you can just choose on the BIOS to duplicate output to both. On Windows 95 onward the right video drivers allow to configure everything from the OS. Scaling is also available but it's non integer neighbour based, so not very pretty. I tend to leave image unscaled (DOS 320x200 is scaled as 640x480) or use the esternal monitor. Image quality on my Samsung Syncmaster 19" CRT is gorgeous.

Regarding input, integrated touchpad is presented as standard PS/2 mouse to the oS so it works on everything, fortunately USB keyboard and mouse is also emulated as legacy. Modern wireless mouses may be a problem though, my Logitech G305 doesn't move the cursor at all, and a M185 only moves it vertically when the mouse moves horizontally, and horizontally if a button is pressed, so the axis and buttons are messed up. My K260 wireless keyboard is also not detected on some reboots. Funnily enough a cheap no name wired USB mouse I have for emergencies works perfectly. Also, you can connect mouse and keyboard through a USB hub to save one of the two USB ports, and it works perfectly, I'm using my USB KVM with it without any issue.

PCI Hardware ID detail

  • Trident Microsystems CyberBlade XP-Ai1 Video Accelerator
    PCI\VEN_1023&DEV_8820&SUBSYS_00011179&REV_82
  • ALi/ULi M5451 AC'97 Audio Controller
    PCI\VEN_10B9&DEV_5451&SUBSYS_00041179&REV_01
  • Intel 82550 10/100 Mbps Ethernet Controller:
    PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1229&SUBSYS_00011179&REV_0D
  • ALi/ULi M5247 AGP Controller:
    PCI\VEN_10B9&DEV_5247&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_00
  • NEC/Renesas Electronics uPD720100A USB OpenHCI Controller (Version 1.0):
    PCI\VEN_1033&DEV_0035&SUBSYS_00031179&REV_41
  • NEC/Renesas Electronics uPD720100A USB 2.0 EHCI Controller [B1/v2]:
    PCI\VEN_1033&DEV_00E0&SUBSYS_00011179&REV_02
  • Texas Instruments PCI-1410 CardBus Controller:
    PCI\VEN_104C&DEV_AC50&SUBSYS_0000FFFC&REV_01
  • Toshiba AIS ToPIC95 CardBus Controller:
    PCI\VEN_1179&DEV_060A&SUBSYS_0000FFFC&REV_07
  • Toshiba AIS SD Card Controller Type A:
    PCI\VEN_1179&DEV_0805&SUBSYS_00011179&REV_03
Last edited by mgtroyas on 2026-06-26, 17:19. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 1 of 9, by mgtroyas

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

The How

Ludicrous Multibooting

The first design detail when planning to install a large number of OSes on the same disk (the P2010 has space/connector for only one hard disk) is... how to do it. Because I quickly realized the maximum number of primary partitions as many OSes will refuse to install to a logical one. You can try moving them to a logical one afterwards or share boot manager but I felt on the long term it could become a headache. So with this in mind I studied the different boot managers available looking for ways to manage visible partitions so I could fool the BIOS and have a different set of partitions visible on each boot. I pivoted to these three:

  • Plop: it's very fancy and enables the P2010 to boot from USB (not an option in the BIOS), but in my limited testing I didn't find a way to effectively do what I needed, I was always limited to four partitions.
  • XOSL: it seemed more flexible but I still had the limit on primary partitions, and the menu looked too small for the number of options I wanted to configure.
  • BootIt NG: its propiertary, but I ended using it as it's just awesome for my use case, because:
    • It uses an EMBR that allows to show and hide primary partitions at will. So for each OS I can choose to activate only it's primary and the others containing shared data.
    • It shows up to 16 options in the menu, and the rest are in the list one scroll away.
    • The integrated partition manager works like a charm, and can convert partitions between formats without messing the OS boot sector (which happened to me with several other tools).
    • The integrated partition imaging allows quick backups and restores, ideal for reverting when something goes wrong and you don't want to spend other 30 min installing from sratch.
The attachment 20260613_101623.jpg is no longer available

Here's a partial sneak peek of the project (there're some more OSes scrolling down). You may notice some icons are not the stock ones integrated in BootIt NG, yes I managed to create custom ones using Photoshop 5 and the custom palette and tool included with more modern versions of BootIt NG. I've compiled everything on this file, but for using it as is you just need to place the file "Icon16.dat" on the BootIt NG installation folder.

The attachment bootitng_custom_icons.zip is no longer available

Be aware that BootIT NG says it's 30 days shareware, but in my experience it randomly (it did it twice to me, the first one a few days after installing it), even with a valid registration key applied, will show a message saying "*WARNING* The evaluation period of BootIT NG has expired", leaving you apparently stuck. Fortunately if you wait some seconds it'll still load to the menu, and secondly you just need to delete the file "Bootitng.opt" to revert this to normal operation.

External media

Regarding the additional hardware needed, I used the following:

  • External USB floppy drive (LaCie) and a pack of 10 1,44Mb floppies. For install disks.
  • 32GB CF card (Transcend 133x) for faster disk access, although I'll probably try later using the original 1,8" HDD for more "authentic" feel. I needed an 1,8" IDE to CF adapter, easily available online.
The attachment 20260613_104222.jpg is no longer available

For the OS installation files, I created a FAT16 logical partition data of 510MB for Pre-Windows95 OS, located on the first 8GB of the disk (to allow MS-DOS to see it), and another larger FAT32 one at the end of the disk for later OS installation files and storing the partition backups; I also installed BootIt NG on there.

  • I copied all the CAB files there so after booting from floppy I could just run the install from the HDD without taking space on the OS partition.
  • I fortunately managed to avoid using a CD-ROM drive and disks on all the cases.
  • I could probably have used Plop Boot on a Floppy + USB drive boot but this just worked fine, was faster and allowed me to play with floppies which added some extra retro feeling.

Once the OS is up and running, fortunately in many cases I managed to connect it to my Ethernet home LAN, and then to the QNAP NAS where I store all the software, so Applications installation was done from network drive most of the times, avoiding file copying by physical media. Kudos to QNAP for making so easy to enable SMBv1 so the NAS works seamlessly on all these OSes without extra tweaking on their side.

Reply 2 of 9, by mgtroyas

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

The supported: Windows XP and 2000 (and 2003 Server R1/R2)

Ok, enough preparations. Let's start navigating the calm surface waters of the officially supported OSes before start diving on more dangerous deep waters. Windows XP and 2000 were the target OS of the P2010 so they had all the needed drivers and software preinstalled and available to download on Tosiba support site. Sounds easy but, guess what? Unfortunately downloads were removed long ago, so they're difficult to find even when using the Wayback Machine.

Fortunately an angel compiled all the downloads and information, uploaded it to GitHub and created a replica of the Toshiba/Dynabook Support Page, including the ones for the P2010 and P2000. Thanks to this effort setting up our laptop after OS installation is a breeze.

The attachment dynabook.png is no longer available

On top of getting not so easy to spot drivers for the video card, sound card, infrared, SD card, modem, etc, Toshiba also created some utilities that are really useful and integrated with the hardware:

  • "Toshiba Display Hotkey Utility" enables the keyboard hotkeys that dim the brightness of the integrated display.
  • You may need to install before "Toshiba ACPI Common Modules" which also enable the suspend keyboard hotkeys.
  • "Toshiba Power Saver" allows to change the power profile without rebooting to the BIOS.
  • Multiple tools for enabling/disabling different hardware elements like the touchpad, WiFi, etc.
  • For the road warriors "Toshiba Mobile Extension" allows to quickly change the IP networking configuration between different presets.
The attachment 20260614_194925.jpg is no longer available

Once the OS is up and running, the next thing I did was research the period correct versions of the different widely used Apps so each OS install has the right Apps version installed, to mimic the real experience of the user of that OS in particular. For this, WinWorld and win3x.org are fantastic resources for browsing their extensive catalogue and become aware of the evolution OS and Apps underwent during the 20 years I was able to cover with this build. Some recommendations:

  • Internet Explorer 5 by default, upgradeable to 6 or 7
  • Office XP and Works 6 suites
  • Lotus SmartSuite 9.8
  • Corel WordPerfect Office 11
  • Netscape 6/7
  • Mozilla 1.0
  • Opera Browser 6/7
  • Adobe Acrobat 5
  • Adobe Photoshop 6
  • Paint Shop Pro 7
  • Corel Draw 11
  • Adobe Illustrator 10
  • Encarta 2000 Library and Atlas
  • Visual Studio .NET
  • Borland Delphi 7
  • Borland JBuilder 9
  • Borland C++ Builder 6
  • Eclipse 2.0/2.1
  • NetBeans 3.5
  • Macromedia Dreamweaver MX
  • Macromedia Flash MX
  • Adobe Premiere 6.5
  • Winamp 3
  • Sonique 1.96
  • Mathcad 11
  • Cool Edit Pro 2.0
  • Sound Forge 6.0
  • GoldWave 5.0
  • ACDSee 5
  • Autodesk AutoCAD 2004
  • 3DS Max 5
  • Maya 5.0
  • Bryce 5
  • Norton SystemWorks 2001
  • Winrar 3.x
  • Daemon Tools 3.x
  • Alcohol 120%
  • 3DMark 03

As the Internet browsers of any of these OSes won't be able to load almost any of the modern websites, I recommend configuring the proxy from the wonderful Protoweb Project and browse the Internet as it was at the time. You can even select the speed, from 9.6k dial-up to 256k DSL.

The attachment 20260614_195826.jpg is no longer available

And last but not least, to complete the genuine experience, we can apply all the updates using the wonderful Windows Update Restored project.

The attachment 20260614_200124.jpg is no longer available

In my case, as Spanish is my mother tongue, you can see in the screenshots I hunted for localized versions of OSes and Apps both as a extra challenge and as a more personal experience.

Reply 3 of 9, by mgtroyas

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Windows 98 SE and Millenium

On our backwards OS exploration we reach the last versions based on MS-DOS, before XP initiated the NT based unified era. Here we find the first case (in our travel) of a despised OS (Windows Me, like Vista, 8 ) between two respected ones, and the causes are:

  • It introduced new technologies that raised the hardware requirements (CPU, RAM, disk) which forced users to crawl with their current build or spend on a new one.
  • These technologies were not optimized yet, so next version OS (XP, 7) will probably be more lean than it's predecessor, and also people had already bought new hardware by then.
  • Same happens with drivers, guilty of many BSODs, and are optimized when the next OS version arrives.
  • These technological jumps reduce compatibility with older software. In case of Me it was intentional (hidding the MS-DOS layer).

For the Toshiba, this an perhaps Windows 2000 are the sweet spot performance wise. Windows XP is too heavy for it with only 240MB of RAM, probably with the extra 256MB expansion it'd go much better but then perhaps the CPU or the disk would start to be felt slow.

The attachment 20260616_100051.jpg is no longer available
The attachment win98_1440.png is no longer available

In my experience Me is a fine OS if you don't intend to run MS-DOS software. But for that Windows 2000 offers something similar and much more stable, so it's not surprise that Microsoft were full on NT for XP replacing both 2000 and Me.

For 98 Se and Me the recommended drivers are WDM versions, mainly for the video and sound card. They're not provided officially by Toshiba but can be found, although:

  • There're many version of the video drivers that although compatible on paper, I couldn't install.
  • Same happens for audio drivers
  • The Intel 10/100 drivers that work on Windows 98/ME are the ones that contain the file e100bnt5.sys

I'm attaching the ones that worked for me:

The attachment ali-sound-win98.zip is no longer available
The attachment cblade-xp-a1-win98.zip is no longer available
The attachment Intel-E100b.zip is no longer available

Many of the Windows 2000/XP drivers from previous post work perfectly on Windows 98 (SD card, AGP, PCMCIA, Modem). But USB 2.0 and WiFi unfortunately are no longer supported (at least officially). Dual monitor setup is still supported and will be until Windows 95. No SoundBlaster emulation on any version of drivers, so pure Windows gaming only, this build is geared to desktop usage. Toshiba applications (Fn hotkeys for sleep, dim screen, muste sound, etc) will also work until Windows 95.

Windows Update restored still works on WIndows 98, but only if you update Internet Explorer to the required version, a problem if you want to preserve the integrated one. ProtoWeb proxy of course also works like a charm, using the 56k modem speed version brings an extra level of nostalgia.

Due the frenetic pace of OS evolution, recommended applications are those launched on 1999-2000:

  • Microsoft Office 2000
  • Lotus SmartSuite Millennium Edition
  • Corel WordPerfect Office 2000
  • Adobe Acrobat 4.0
  • QuarkXPress 4.1
  • Adobe InDesign 1.0
  • Internet Explorer 5
  • Opera 4.0
  • Netscape 6
  • mIRC 5.6
  • Windows Media Player 7
  • Windows Movie Maker
  • Winamp 2.6
  • RealPlayer 7
  • Macromedia Flash 4/5
  • Macromedia Dreamweaver 3
  • Adobe Photoshop 5.5/6.0
  • Adobe Premiere 5.1c
  • Adobe After Effects 4.0
  • CorelDRAW 9
  • Jasc Paint Shop Pro 6
  • MusicMatch Jukebox 4.0
  • Cool Edit Pro 2000
  • Blender 2.0
  • ACDSee 3.0
  • WinZip 8.0
  • WinRAR 2.5
  • CloneCD
  • Norton Utilities 2000
  • VMware Workstation 1.0

Reply 4 of 9, by mgtroyas

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Windows 95 and 98 FE

Travelling back further we arrive to Windows 98 FE and Windows 95. I created a Windows 98 FE install to have a working Internet Explorer 4.0 setup, as Windows 98 SE already came with Internet Explorer 5.0, and Internet Explorer 4.0 on Windows 95 destroys the original File Explorer experience. Windows 98 FE and 95 share differences with Windows 98 SE so I'll talk about 95 grouping both.

Windows 95 was one of the main milestones on Microsoft OS design. It was a planetary event, thanks to a multi-million marketing campaign, and it introduced Windows to millions of first users.

Personal note: in my house we had a 286 running MS-DOS for years, with 512KB of RAM that limited it to only old software, and when I was introduced to computers at high school we bought a Pentium 233MMX with windows 95. For me, as I guess for many of us, it was like discovering a completely new world that changed my life forever.

The attachment 20260527_115249.jpg is no longer available

Windows 95 today looks surprisingly outdated, and many revisions were released adding features we take from granted, that were developed during these years:

  • First version didn't even have an integrated Web browser, that was added with the Plus! extension pack (IE 1.0) and later integrated on OSR1 (IE 2.0). IE 3.0 was integrated on OSR2.0 and finally IE4.0 was included in OSR2.5 but as a dirty auto setup to run after first boot, that also included RealPlayer and hanged on setup (it happened for me now and unlocked the memories of having the same problem back in the day).
  • Same happens to USB, FAT32, DirectX, OpenGL, AGP, MMX and more, support only was added on OSR2.
  • Stability is one of the main differences compared with Windows 98 SE and later. I think it's partially because it used VXD drivers instead of WDM used on the later, but installing drivers was like a minefield, a bad movement and you screwed all the setup and had lot of hangs and BSODs, having to reinstall from scratch.

    As a young teenager, always installing new things and tinkering until it started breaking apart, to avoid reinstalling I just installed Windows 95 again over the current install. That created backups of the main executables, and I remember later discovering having a collection of files like CONTROL.EXE, CONTROL.001 ... probably to CONTROL.020 or more.

  • Other little details are still missing, like the ability to drag and drop shortcuts to/from the Start menu, or minimize a window by clicking it's entry on the Task bar.

Original Windows 95 has a feeling not so different from Windows 3.x, in fact you can choose during setup to use the Program Manager instead of the new Start Menu and Task bar interface.

The attachment 20260625_123903.jpg is no longer available

Focusing on the Toshiba P2010, we enter the muddy waters of unsupported OS but we're lucky to still have drivers available for the display card (still multi monitor support), audio, ethernet, and to some extent Infrared, PCMCIA and SD Card. But there are multiple considerations to have in mind:

  • The Toshiba provided drivers won't work, they are WDM based. You need to use older VXD based ones, I'm attaching the ones that worked for me.
  • For the Trident CyberBlade videocard, even VXD drivers will fail to install. They're compressed like many others (extensions like "TVDD8820.VX_") but the installer doesn't like it. You need first to decompress first all files using the "expand /f" command, then they will install.
  • Windows 95 OSR2.1 wit the USB support pack (USBSUPP.EXE from the install CD, or aftermarket XUSBSUPP) won't recognice any mouse or keyboard, as there were no drivers available back then and I haven't found any newly developed that works. So if you value external mouse and keyboard support via the laptop's USB legacy emulation over other devices, you can in fact install the video and sound drivers without the USB patch.
    - Have in mind if you try to install the USB patch later, you'll broke the video drivers.
  • If you don't mind the lack of external USB mouse and keyboard support, the right order to install the drivers is the following:
    - USBSUPP or XUSBSUPP
    - DirectX
    - ALi AGP GART (the two previous ones are mandatory prerequisites)
    - Trident Cyberblade VXD drivers (6.50.6341-015A.22ICDNP)
    - Visual C++ Redist 6 is needed by some drivers, they'll throw an error about missing file MFC42.DLL. You can download it here
  • Last but not least, the video drivers break the APM support. The CPU will not rest, the temperature rises and the fan will be on all the time. To fix this, you need to install a HLT tool like Rain 2.0. I'm not too concerned because the APM CPU control introduces a low electronic noise (due to the high frequency CPU status change) that I feel disturbing, but the HLT tools doesn't produce it.
The attachment trid_cybxpai1_w95_expanded.zip is no longer available
The attachment intel100-w95.zip is no longer available

ALi M1561 Audio VXD Windows 95 / NT4 + WDM Windows 98 /XP drivers (too big to be uploaded here, they contain multiple quality wavetables files)

Most iconic applications during this 1996-1998 period, many first versions here:

  • Microsoft Office 97
  • Corel WordPerfect Suite 7
  • Microsoft Works 4.0-4.5
  • Lotus SmartSuite 97 - Millenium Edition
  • Adobe Acrobat Reader 3.0
  • Norton Utilities 2.0 for Windows 95
  • Microsoft Encarta 96 / 97 / 98
  • The Way Things Work
  • Microsoft CinemaMania
  • BodyWorks 5
  • Redshift 3
  • Microsoft AutoRoute
  • Microsoft Visual Studio 97-6.0
  • Microsoft Visual Basic 5.0-6.0
  • Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0
  • Borland Delphi 2-3
  • Borland C++ Builder
  • Metrowerks CodeWarrior 10
  • Watcom C/C++
  • UltraEdit 4.0
  • Netscape Navigator 3.0-4.0
  • Internet Explorer 3.0-4.0
  • Mirc 5
  • CuteFTP 2.0
  • Macromedia Dreamweaver 1.0
  • WinZip 6.2
  • WinRAR 2.0
  • WinAmp 1.0
  • Adobe Photoshop 4.0
  • CorelDRAW 5.0
  • Paint Shop Pro 4.0
  • Macromedia Flash 1.0
  • Macromedia Director 5.0
  • Adobe Illustrator 7.0
  • 3D Studio Max R2
  • Blender 1.0
  • POV-Ray 3.0
  • Bryce 3D 2
  • ACDSee 95
  • QuarkXPress 4.0
  • Cool Edit Pro 1.0
  • MAME 0.1 / MAME32 0.34
  • Nesticle
  • Genecyst
  • ZSNES
  • Snes9x 1.0
  • Bleem!
  • UltraHLE

Reply 5 of 9, by mgtroyas

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

The lucky finding

I got surprised today. Remember I mentioned I have a Portege 2000 as a backup of the Portege 2010? Well, an idea crossed my mind. What's the chance it has the 256MB of RAM propietary expansion card installed (P/N# KTT-P2000/256)? Well, it was easy to check, so I removed the two screws and... surprise, there it was! I quickly mounted it on my Portege 2010 and yes, it's compatible. So now my Windows XP install doesn't swap constantly, and both Windows 95 and old MS-DOS versions seem to boot, not bad at all. Also check my previous post about Windows 95, as I posted by error in mid editing.

As probably not so many people have seen these RAM expansion cards, here are a couple of photos:

The attachment 20260626_143754.jpg is no longer available
The attachment 20260626_143735.jpg is no longer available

Reply 6 of 9, by mgtroyas

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Windows NT 4.0, 3.51 and 3.11

Going deeper we arrive to the enterprise oriented Windows NT family origins. I had very low interaction with these back in the day, as I was too young, but they have great value from a historic perspective because all the Windows versions since XP are based on these. It's a very alternative-timeline feeling seeing these OS that are similar to Windows 95 or 3.1 in the surface, but then have things like multi-user support and 32 bit drivers like XP, and on the other hand still a Devices section similar to Windows 3.x, NT 3.1 only detecting 64MB of RAM, and pressing Windows key on the keyboard opens the Start Menu, but pressing it again doesn't close it back.

Personal note: the first time I connected to the Internet, a year before having a 56k modem on our Windows 95 home PC, I was using NT 4.0 (and I found the 256 colour login screen being the coolest thing I had ever seen). I was on last years of High School and a friend of mine somehow got a bogus user and password for logging on the lab PCs on the University near our School. I had a blank hour on Fridays so I religiously went there with my 1,44MB floppy and downloaded everything I could until I filled it. Campus connectivity was just a couple of 56k modems running on some PC sharing the connection (I barely remember finding it while messing around on the lab PC). There I discovered Altavista, more interestingly Astalavista, and downloaded hundreds of LiteStep themes and Digital Blasphemy wallpapers to make my PC look like all these otherwordly GUIs and icons that later I'd learn were from other OSes different to Windows and would make me switch to Linux during my College years.

The attachment 20260525_091336.jpg is no longer available
The attachment winnt351_1024.png is no longer available

Regarding device drivers:

  • Luckily the ALi sound chip Windows 95 drivers package also includes NT4 ones that work perfectly. Hearing the NT 4 bombastic login fanfare was something I didn't expect, as the PCs in the lab had no sound card. Unfortunately nothing is available for NT 3.51 nor 3.1.
  • After some tests one of the driver packages already contained NT4 drivers for the Intel Pro 10/100. Finding the NT 3.51 and NT3.1 drivers was more difficult, but I managed to find the only ones that worked.
  • Absolutely no drivers for NT are available for the Trident CyberBlade XP-Ai1, so you're limited to 800x600 and 16 colours on the standard VGA driver, not so bad, but fortunately the Universal VBE drivers for NT allow us to crank up the resolution to the full 1024x768 of the Toshiba P2010 and 16/32 bit colours. It's slow redrawing the screen but then this is not a gaming build so I'm very happy with the result. Just have in mind that to avoid being locked on a black screen on login, you need to:
    - First upgrade to the latest Service Pack.
    - Copy the "FRAMEBUFFER.DLL" included with the driver, as it's missing on the default Windows installation.
    - On NT 3.51 then also dropping this "HAL.DLL" replacement that supports AGP video cards.
The attachment Q174567.zip is no longer available

Other tips for a successful installation:

  • If you get an error about not being able to lock files on the disk, run DOS command "LOCK" before running the setup.
  • If you copy the setup files to the HDD like me, don't rename "i386" folder to anything else, or it will fail finding some files.
  • Letting NT 3.1 setup create a boot floppy is mandatory, the setup doesn't make the NT partition bootable, you must boot from that floppy. On the other hand, on NT3.51 and NT 4 there are command line options to prevent creating a boot floppy.
  • No NT version previous to 4.0 likes a CPU newer than a Pentium 1 and will fail to install. To fix it, on the first reboot setup tries after copying the files to the HDD, you need to boot from a floppy instead and edit the file "SETUP.INI" to modify the line using the variable STF_PROCESSOR so it doesn't try to autodetect it.
  • As I use Spanish setup media, it's funny to state that the official localized SP3 media for NT 3.1 has a bug on the "UPDATE.INF" file, on line 415 it's missing
    set !STF_PLATFORMDET = "I386"
    and fails to install complaining about wrong hardware platform.
The attachment 20260705_170758.jpg is no longer available

Many professional apps had a 32bit version for NT to take advantage of it's stability, memory management and multi-CPU support:

  • SQL Server, Exchange
  • Lotus Domino
  • Oracle 7.3-8.0
  • Office 4.3 (for NT 3.x) and Office 97 (for NT 4.0)
  • Corel WordPerfect Suite 7-8
  • Lotus SmartSuite
  • Internet Explorer 3.0-4.0 (for NT 3.51), Netscape Navigator, and Opera 3.62
  • Norton Utilities for NT 4.0
  • AutoCAD
  • Adobe PhotoShop
  • CorelDraw
  • MATLAB 5.x
  • ANSYS 5.4
  • LabVIEW 4.0
  • Softimage 3D
  • LightWave 3D 5.x
  • The first version ever of 3D Studio Max was released for NT 3.51. In fact, if you run it on Windows 95 it'll hang on exit.
  • HandleEx for NT was a Sysinternals tool that later would become the famous Proccess Explorer

Reply 7 of 9, by mgtroyas

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Windows 3.0 and 3.11

After surviving with relative success navigating the dangerous waters of Windows NT, let's go deeper in search of what can be done with this 2001 laptop. It's interesting to experience how the 3.x OSes were not so different from the early Windows 95 versions, and that a lot of very competent graphical software already existed for them.

Personal note: I used Windows 3.11 on High School Computers subject class, and it was my first exposure to something newer than MS-DOS (at home we still had our 286 512Kb at that moment). There I also learned to program in Basic, which unlocked a passion that made me spend a whole summer programming a fully functional Tetris clone on MS-DOS 5.5 Microsoft QBasic (I mainly wanted to see if the fact that the long bar piece always appears just after having blocked the infinite one square column I had prepared for it to do a Tetris was intentional or pure randomness... I can confirm it's pure randomness, the same happened on my version...).

Some years later I discovered in a drawer we had Windows 3.0 on floppies, and installed it on said 286. With it's 512Kb of RAM, I remember it took so long to start (it really made dance the 20Mb MFM hard disk...) and was so slow, that in Paintbrush there was like half a second lag between moving the mouse and seeing the line appear on the screen. Many years later I upgraded this PC to 1Mb RAM and replaced the Tseng ET3000AX with a more recent ISA Cirrus Logic VGA, and then it ran incredibly smoother. That VGA card had hold back my gaming for years, that 286 I always thought was a potato, would have been an excellent gaming machine had it been upgraded over time.

The attachment 20260716_202650.jpg is no longer available

Editing an image on Photoshop 3.0 on high color and realizing it looks 90% like the more recent versions was shocking, same for browsing the Internet (thanks again to Protoweb) with an early version of Opera and even Mosaic.

The attachment 20260716_203544.jpg is no longer available

Regarding compatibility, on Windows 3.11 for Workgroups I managed to install appropriate drivers for the Intel Ethernet card, so great support Intel team.

The video card has zero support, like in NT, but we have not one but two options to go higher than the 640x480 and 256 color : vbesvga by PluMGMK and a patch for the original VGA driver. I ended up using the later because it doesn't garble the screen when you open a MS-DOS window.

And unfortunately the ALi AC'97 sound chip has no drivers available. There are some other AC'97 chips that had drivers but not in this case.

The attachment 20260716_205732.jpg is no longer available

Going down to Windows 3.0, our luck finally runs out. No Ethernet drivers, no sound drivers so internal speaker only, and no graphics drivers, only 640x480 256 colour with awful scaling on the 1024x768 screen, I prefer no zoom at all... or using the VGA output on a external CRT, which looks fantastic. Fortunately we can then reuse DOS networking thanks to the fantastic mTCP project. All things considered not bad for a Windows version 10 years older than the laptop.

And last but not least, ACPI was not a thing on these MS-DOS based OSes, CPU is at full frequency all the time, which forces the fan to be running. But fortunately there's this driver WQGHLT that can be loaded on startup and works like DOSIdle but for Windows 3.1x and 3.0. I'll attach it also here, in case the download disappears in the future.

The attachment wqghlt.zip is no longer available

As I said, there's no shortage of well known interesting apps to run on these OSes:

  • Microsoft Office 4.3 (Word 6.0, Excel 5.0, PowerPoint 4.0)
  • Microsoft Works 3.0
  • Lotus SmartSuite 4.0 (with 1-2-3 for Windows)
  • Novell WordPerfect 6.1
  • Corel Quattro Pro 6.0
  • Microsoft Schedule+ 1.0
  • ClarisWorks for Windows
  • Microsoft Money 3.0
  • Intuit Quicken for Windows
  • Visio 3.0
  • WordPerfect Presentations 3.0
  • Lotus Organizer 2.0
  • Microsoft Project 4.0
  • Microsoft Publisher 2.0
  • Novell PerfectOffice
  • Netscape Navigator 3.0 Gold
  • Microsoft Internet Explorer 3.0
  • Mosaic (NCSA)
  • Eudora Light
  • Pegasus Mail
  • Adobe Photoshop 3.0
  • Paint Shop Pro 3.0
  • CorelDRAW 4.0
  • Adobe Illustrator 4.0
  • Fractal Design Painter 3.0
  • Micrografx Designer 4.0
  • Adobe Premiere 4.0
  • Cool Edit 1.31
  • Cakewalk for Windows (MIDI)
  • Ray Dream Designer 3.0
  • Macromedia Director 4.0
  • Aldus PageMaker 5.0
  • Aldus FreeHand
  • Harvard Graphics 3.0
  • Norton Desktop for Windows
  • Microsoft Visual C++ 1.52c
  • Microsoft Visual Basic 3.0
  • Borland Delphi 1.0
  • Borland Turbo Pascal for Windows
  • Norton Antivirus for Windows
  • PC Tools for Windows

Reply 8 of 9, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Regarding Windows 3.0 ... if you have a DOS packet driver you can use WINPKT.COM with it and Trumpet Winsock in Windows.

Reply 9 of 9, by mgtroyas

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Thank you, other than mTCP I haven't yet figured out how to get networking running on DOS the traditional way. It seems I have the needed files, there's a DOS folder on the Intel drivers packages containing these files:

drivers.dos
e100b.dos
e100beds.nif
E100bodi.com
E100BODI.INS
ipxodi.com
lsl.com
net.cfg
netx.exe
protocol.ini

But I've tried using multiple Microsoft networking products and they don't like the drivers. It's something I need to work more on.