VOGONS


First post, by ricsip

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Hello folks,

Samsung HD160HJ SATA2 HDD, I managed to figure out, its part of the Spinpoint T166 family. All I found about this family, is on Seagates site:

https://www.seagate.com/files/www-content/sup … 66_DTRev3.0.pdf

As usual, no deep technical content in it, just a 1-page table of the various capacity models, and some basic characteristics. There is a hint at the bottom left corner of this doc, that says:

T166 Product Data Sheet Rev.3.0 (09-07-07) / DT
Based on T166 Product Manual Rev.6

So there must exist a T166 Product Manual of some kind...

What I am looking for, is the description of the jumper block, that sits next to the SATA data + SATA power connectors. That seems like an ordinary IDE/PATA jumper block, for setting the usual things like Master/Slave/CableSelect and maybe the 32 GB limit. But can it do the SATA Gen 1 limit as well? Thats what I would like to figure out. Unfortunately, google is not my friend, there does not seem to be such T166 Product Manual exist on the internet.

Reply 1 of 3, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ricsip wrote on 2026-06-23, 09:28:
Hello folks, […]
Show full quote

Hello folks,

Samsung HD160HJ SATA2 HDD, I managed to figure out, its part of the Spinpoint T166 family. All I found about this family, is on Seagates site:

https://www.seagate.com/files/www-content/sup … 66_DTRev3.0.pdf

As usual, no deep technical content in it, just a 1-page table of the various capacity models, and some basic characteristics. There is a hint at the bottom left corner of this doc, that says:

T166 Product Data Sheet Rev.3.0 (09-07-07) / DT
Based on T166 Product Manual Rev.6

So there must exist a T166 Product Manual of some kind...

What I am looking for, is the description of the jumper block, that sits next to the SATA data + SATA power connectors. That seems like an ordinary IDE/PATA jumper block, for setting the usual things like Master/Slave/CableSelect and maybe the 32 GB limit. But can it do the SATA Gen 1 limit as well? Thats what I would like to figure out. Unfortunately, google is not my friend, there does not seem to be such T166 Product Manual exist on the internet.

Try this...

The attachment 2e007f_EN.pdf is no longer available

Reply 2 of 3, by ricsip

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2026-06-23, 11:59:
ricsip wrote on 2026-06-23, 09:28:
Hello folks, […]
Show full quote

Hello folks,

Samsung HD160HJ SATA2 HDD, I managed to figure out, its part of the Spinpoint T166 family. All I found about this family, is on Seagates site:

https://www.seagate.com/files/www-content/sup … 66_DTRev3.0.pdf

As usual, no deep technical content in it, just a 1-page table of the various capacity models, and some basic characteristics. There is a hint at the bottom left corner of this doc, that says:

T166 Product Data Sheet Rev.3.0 (09-07-07) / DT
Based on T166 Product Manual Rev.6

So there must exist a T166 Product Manual of some kind...

What I am looking for, is the description of the jumper block, that sits next to the SATA data + SATA power connectors. That seems like an ordinary IDE/PATA jumper block, for setting the usual things like Master/Slave/CableSelect and maybe the 32 GB limit. But can it do the SATA Gen 1 limit as well? Thats what I would like to figure out. Unfortunately, google is not my friend, there does not seem to be such T166 Product Manual exist on the internet.

Try this...

The attachment 2e007f_EN.pdf is no longer available

Thanks, will try that one!

Reply 3 of 3, by ricsip

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
ricsip wrote on 2026-06-23, 15:19:
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2026-06-23, 11:59:
ricsip wrote on 2026-06-23, 09:28:
Hello folks, […]
Show full quote

Hello folks,

Samsung HD160HJ SATA2 HDD, I managed to figure out, its part of the Spinpoint T166 family. All I found about this family, is on Seagates site:

https://www.seagate.com/files/www-content/sup … 66_DTRev3.0.pdf

As usual, no deep technical content in it, just a 1-page table of the various capacity models, and some basic characteristics. There is a hint at the bottom left corner of this doc, that says:

T166 Product Data Sheet Rev.3.0 (09-07-07) / DT
Based on T166 Product Manual Rev.6

So there must exist a T166 Product Manual of some kind...

What I am looking for, is the description of the jumper block, that sits next to the SATA data + SATA power connectors. That seems like an ordinary IDE/PATA jumper block, for setting the usual things like Master/Slave/CableSelect and maybe the 32 GB limit. But can it do the SATA Gen 1 limit as well? Thats what I would like to figure out. Unfortunately, google is not my friend, there does not seem to be such T166 Product Manual exist on the internet.

Try this...

The attachment 2e007f_EN.pdf is no longer available

Thanks, will try that one!

Ok, it works! If the SATA pwr & data is on the left side, the jumper position for the "SATA 1.5Gbps limit" is the 3rd column from the left side of the jumper block.

Not to look too greedy, but does anybody have that T166 product manual anyhow?