First post, by lmttn
Hello, I have a 1999 Power Mac G4 (graphite model, 400 MHz) coming in soon and I have two small questions about it:
- What PCI graphics cards can be used as upgrades over the included ATi Rage 128?
- Can I use any old USB 2.0 PCI card and PC100 SDRAM or is it picky about either of these things?
EDIT WITH A LATER POST NOW THAT IT HAS ARRIVED:
lmttn wrote on 2026-06-27, 22:56:Okay, followup questions now that I'm sure the system is doing everything in its power not to boot. It did boot to a very slow and bloated OS 9.0 installation at first, but now it exclusively gives me the question mark folder message at startup. Even with a disc in the drive, none of the key commands for startup seem to be doing anything. Is it because I am using a PC keyboard instead of a Mac keyboard? The HDD and CD-ROM drives are audible, and the CD-ROM drive's access light works and shows that it's trying to at least do something. This is a "Yikes!" model G4 which according to a Reddit post is missing the later Macs' boot menus.