VOGONS


First post, by troydm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Got ASUS P/I-P55T2P4 rev 3.10 motherboard
on power on Post code C1 memory not detected is shown, no matter if ram sticks present or not it just repeats long beep and post card C1 code.

What I did and it didn't helped:
Recapped all capacitors
Checked most questionable traces and they are okey
Cleared CMOS
Tried bunch of different ram sticks in different configurations both FPM and EDO

No Tag ram IC is installed

Any suggestions what to check more?

Reply 1 of 12, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
troydm wrote on 2026-06-27, 17:22:
Got ASUS P/I-P55T2P4 rev 3.10 motherboard on power on Post code C1 memory not detected is shown, no matter if ram sticks presen […]
Show full quote

Got ASUS P/I-P55T2P4 rev 3.10 motherboard
on power on Post code C1 memory not detected is shown, no matter if ram sticks present or not it just repeats long beep and post card C1 code.

What I did and it didn't helped:
Recapped all capacitors
Checked most questionable traces and they are okey
Cleared CMOS
Tried bunch of different ram sticks in different configurations both FPM and EDO

No Tag ram IC is installed

Any suggestions what to check more?

Tried pressing down the HX chip?
Checked all legs of the other one?

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

- "One hates the specialty unobtainium parts, the other laughs in greed listing them under a ridiculous price" - kotel studios
- Bare metal ist krieg.

Reply 2 of 12, by troydm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
Nexxen wrote on 2026-06-27, 17:45:

Tried pressing down the HX chip?
Checked all legs of the other one?

yes, tried pressing all chips and checked all legs, nothing out of place and soldering looks solid so definitely not a problem, and they don't overheat

also would like to check memory slot voltage rails, but I am not sure which values and pins should I look for, it's 72 pin simm memory slot

Reply 3 of 12, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
troydm wrote on 2026-06-27, 21:59:
Nexxen wrote on 2026-06-27, 17:45:

Tried pressing down the HX chip?
Checked all legs of the other one?

yes, tried pressing all chips and checked all legs, nothing out of place and soldering looks solid so definitely not a problem, and they don't overheat

also would like to check memory slot voltage rails, but I am not sure which values and pins should I look for, it's 72 pin simm memory slot

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIMM

+5V

It's boring stuff to do, it'll take time and maybe bore you to death. Soldier on! 😀

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

- "One hates the specialty unobtainium parts, the other laughs in greed listing them under a ridiculous price" - kotel studios
- Bare metal ist krieg.

Reply 4 of 12, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Check the clock signal at the RAM slots
and
reflash BIOS.

Reply 5 of 12, by Dorunkāku

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
troydm wrote on 2026-06-27, 17:22:

No Tag ram IC is installed

According to the jumper manual on TheRetroweb, the only valid configuration without Tag RAM is one with a COAST module with Tag RAM installed.
Do you have a COAST module with Tag RAM installed?
Have you tried installing the 32Kx8 Tag RAM?

Reply 6 of 12, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dorunkāku wrote on 2026-06-28, 11:36:
According to the jumper manual on TheRetroweb, the only valid configuration without Tag RAM is one with a COAST module with Tag […]
Show full quote
troydm wrote on 2026-06-27, 17:22:

No Tag ram IC is installed

According to the jumper manual on TheRetroweb, the only valid configuration without Tag RAM is one with a COAST module with Tag RAM installed.
Do you have a COAST module with Tag RAM installed?
Have you tried installing the 32Kx8 Tag RAM?

Version 3.1 of this mainboard does not have a COAST-slot. It comes with full featured 512K cache and a soldered TAG-RAM. The 2nd TAG -RAM in the DIL28 socket _can_ be populated, if a cacheable area of 512MB is desired.

Reply 7 of 12, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My biggest suspect is some trace broken somewhere, ultra boring chipset - ram sockets continuity test is unavoidable.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

- "One hates the specialty unobtainium parts, the other laughs in greed listing them under a ridiculous price" - kotel studios
- Bare metal ist krieg.

Reply 8 of 12, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I´m afraid this continuity test is impossible to do, because the HX-MCH´s BGA soldering pads are hidden unterneath the chip and cannot be accessed. What can be done is check address lines and data lines of the RAM slots with a ohmmeter against ground to (indirectly) verify their connetctions to the respective output circuits of the chip.

Reply 9 of 12, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
majestyk wrote on 2026-06-28, 16:58:

I´m afraid this continuity test is impossible to do, because the HX-MCH´s BGA soldering pads are hidden unterneath the chip and cannot be accessed. What can be done is check address lines and data lines of the RAM slots with a ohmmeter against ground to (indirectly) verify their connetctions to the respective output circuits of the chip.

True, my mistake. It's a HX not FX.
Guess I have to go somewhere fresh to de-boil my brain 😀

Last edited by Nexxen on 2026-06-28, 23:18. Edited 1 time in total.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

- "One hates the specialty unobtainium parts, the other laughs in greed listing them under a ridiculous price" - kotel studios
- Bare metal ist krieg.

Reply 10 of 12, by troydm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
majestyk wrote on 2026-06-28, 16:58:

I´m afraid this continuity test is impossible to do, because the HX-MCH´s BGA soldering pads are hidden unterneath the chip and cannot be accessed. What can be done is check address lines and data lines of the RAM slots with a ohmmeter against ground to (indirectly) verify their connetctions to the respective output circuits of the chip.

to be clear I understand you correctly, I need to check each address and data line with multimeter against vss pin (ground according to pinout), and if there is resistance of 100 something ohms then it's Okey, if it reads 0 then something is definitely broken?

Reply 11 of 12, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
troydm wrote on 2026-06-28, 21:54:

to be clear I understand you correctly, I need to check each address and data line with multimeter against vss pin (ground according to pinout), and if there is resistance of 100 something ohms then it's Okey, if it reads 0 then something is definitely broken?

More likely scenario is reading infinite resistance.
Measuring resistance you should be able to detect clamping diodes in the chipset. This is how those funny cpu and ram "socket testers" work.

https://github.com/raszpl/sigrok-disk FM/MFM/RLL decoder
https://github.com/raszpl/FIC-486-GAC-2-Cache-Module (AT&T Globalyst)
https://github.com/raszpl/386RC-16 ram board
https://github.com/raszpl/Zenith_ZBIOS Zenith Z-386 MFM-300 ZBIOS disassembly

Reply 12 of 12, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wasn't all that boiled, I have the board without the HX chipset.
Traces are traceable (pun intended), as there are testing points.

I'll provide a wider picture later for future reference.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

- "One hates the specialty unobtainium parts, the other laughs in greed listing them under a ridiculous price" - kotel studios
- Bare metal ist krieg.