VOGONS


Asus TX97-XE won't POST

Topic actions

First post, by cloverskull

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Hello,

I purchased an Asus TX97-XE and it won't post. I tried removing all PCI/ISA cards, still no POST. Took out the RAM to see if it would beep, but nothing.

When I turn the computer on, there's no signal from the VGA card and no beep. Nothing but fans spinning up.

Thing is, I figured this was related to a sketchy mobo, so I bought another, with the same exact problem. What could this be other than a dodgy mobo? I find it unlikely to have two in a row in immaculate condition exhibiting the same exact behavior. Could this be a faulty CPU? What else can I try before I just start spending more money?

Thanks a ton, this is pretty frustrating so help is appreciated 😀

Reply 1 of 7, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What memory are you trying to use? What CPU? Do you have more than one Socket 7 CPU?

A lot of times when you first start out on a project you think, This is never going to be finished. But then it is, and you think, Wow, it wasn't even worth it. - Jack Handey

Reply 2 of 7, by cloverskull

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

It's a Pentium 233 MMX. I just ordered another on eBay but this is all I have to test with so far.

I confirmed it's not the GPU by swapping in a known working GPU.

CAPS lock doesn't work but NUM lock does...the light comes on when I push the button. But the computer powers up not from the power switch on the computer case but when I turn the PSU on. And the num lock key doesn't stay lit every time I press it...it takes a few presses to get it to stay lit.

Thanks for your help.

Reply 3 of 7, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not having spares on hand does make life tough. Just for curiosity sake have you tried both SIMM and DIMM memory? Are you using a known good CMOS battery? There are some motherboards that will not POST without one.

A lot of times when you first start out on a project you think, This is never going to be finished. But then it is, and you think, Wow, it wasn't even worth it. - Jack Handey

Reply 4 of 7, by JSO

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
cloverskull wrote on 2026-06-28, 23:55:
Hello, […]
Show full quote

Hello,

I purchased an Asus TX97-XE and it won't post. I tried removing all PCI/ISA cards, still no POST. Took out the RAM to see if it would beep, but nothing.

When I turn the computer on, there's no signal from the VGA card and no beep. Nothing but fans spinning up.

Thing is, I figured this was related to a sketchy mobo, so I bought another, with the same exact problem. What could this be other than a dodgy mobo? I find it unlikely to have two in a row in immaculate condition exhibiting the same exact behavior. Could this be a faulty CPU? What else can I try before I just start spending more money?

Thanks a ton, this is pretty frustrating so help is appreciated 😀

Try without CMOS battery and check jumper settings.

Maybe it's a capacitor's issue.

DOS IS THE POWER OF OUR CHILDHOOD MEMORIES!

Reply 5 of 7, by cloverskull

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

No luck with the CMOS battery (also swapped out numerous times to be sure I have a live one). Jumpers are all set appropriately. Looks like maybe just two bad mobos 🙁 I ordered a new CPU just in case even though all the gear I've ordered so far has been "tested" and I'm reasonably certain this isn't a PEBCAK issue.

Reply 6 of 7, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Same issue here. I concluded at some point that it was a burnt northbridge... Though at some point I would like to conduct more tests (like checking voltages at the socket, etc...)

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 7 of 7, by quigonhu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

try to replace the cpu