VOGONS


First post, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello all!

Are there any MR. BIOS specialists among us?

The essence of the issue is that I have a DEC LPV Socket1 motherboard with a stock BIOS for it from DEC (which contains the video BIOS for the on-board S3 805 video card)
I tried running MR. BIOS 3.43 on this motherboard. This MR.BIOS is for the SIS 85C461 chipset, and it started perfectly if i disable the onboard graphics card and used a regular external ISA graphics card. Naturally, the on-board video card does not work due to the lack of video BIOS in this MR. BIOS variant
Is there an option to integrate video BIOS and place it in a single firmware?

For example, I'm attach the MR.BIOS for the INTEL TC430HX motherboard (TUCSON) contains (as far as I understand) the MR.BIOS itself, just above the recovery BIOS for firmware recovery and even higher than the actual video BIOS for the S3 TRIO64 graphics card
Is it possible to do something similar for my MR. BIOS + video BIOS for S3 805?

Need help? Begin with photo and model of your hardware 😉

Reply 1 of 3, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Meanwhile I made it myself)))
MR.BIOS for DEC LPV(+) with S3/805 BIOS included

Need help? Begin with photo and model of your hardware 😉

Reply 2 of 3, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some photos after DALLAS recovery and with new MR.BIOS)))

Strange but with original DEC BIOS it still gives me OD O9 on POST-card?(((

Need help? Begin with photo and model of your hardware 😉

Reply 3 of 3, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

History of this MR.BIOS Version

I obtained a DEC DECpc LPV Socket 1 486 motherboard in fairly good condition.
The board was pre-cleaned and powered on with a known-good CPU and RAM.
However, the POST-card consistently displayed only 0D 09 across all power-on attempts, with no further progress.
As it turned out, the culprit was the original DEC BIOS, which is extremely picky regarding memory compatibility.

I decided to try MR.BIOS for the SiS 85C461 chipset used on this motherboard
(such ROM images are available on TRW for various boards based on this chipset).

For the initial test to succeed, I had to use jumpers to disable the onboard S3-805 graphics controller and install a standard discrete ISA VGA card.

ROM Sizes and the First Boot
Original DEC BIOS: 128 KB
MR.BIOS: 64 KB

For the initial power-on, I simply doubled the MR.BIOS image by concatenating two identical 64 KB files into a single 128 KB file. In this configuration, the motherboard POSTed successfully and initialized the display.
However, my goal was to get a fully functional motherboard with the onboard S3-805 graphics working. So, I came up with the idea to integrate the VGA BIOS into the MR.BIOS ROM image.

Step-by-Step Integration Process

1) Extracting the VGA BIOS:

I opened the original DEC BIOS in a hex editor. The 32 KB VGA BIOS was located right at the beginning, from offset 0000h to 7FFFh.
I extracted and saved it as a separate file.

2) Analyzing Reference ROMs:

I examined an MR.BIOS firmware image that natively supports S3 graphics, using the MR.BIOS for the Intel TC430HX (Tucson) motherboard as a reference.
In that image, the VGA BIOS is also located from 0000h to 7FFFh, followed by free space, a recovery boot-block, and the actual MR.BIOS code at the very end.

3) Structuring the New ROM Layout:

I replicated this layout for my specific MR.BIOS build in the following order:

0000h - 7FFFh: Inserted the 32 KB S3-805 VGA BIOS extracted in Step 1.
8000h - FFFFh: 32 KB of padding (filled with 00 null bytes).
10000h - 1FFFFh: Injected the 64 KB MR.BIOS image for the SiS 85C461 chipset.

Results

That was essentially it. The resulting custom MR.BIOS image works flawlessly on this motherboard. It resolved all memory module compatibility issues, adds support for hard drives up to 128 GB, is Y2K bug-free, and offers user-friendly configuration options (including various chipset and memory timing tweaks).
Performance-wise, it is quite impressive—the memory and L2 cache benchmarks are on par with much newer 486 chipsets designed for VLB/PCI buses.

Need help? Begin with photo and model of your hardware 😉