VOGONS


First post, by Lost-Entrepreneur439

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

I have a Dell Inspiron 531s, it has an Athlon 64 X2 3800+, an nForce 430 chipset, the GPU is a GeForce 6150SE, and it has 1GB RAM. I've been trying to get Windows 98SE working on it, but I can't get it to work, I've been able to get 98SE to install by using the flag "/p i" when running SETUP.EXE from DOS, but after installing 98, I can't get the graphics driver installed, I tried multiple different GeForce 6 drivers, but every one I tried just gave me "Windows Protection Error", I saw some things on how to fix it, some people said you should try to disable onboard audio in the BIOS, that didn't work, someone said using ME fixed it for them, so I tried ME, nope, that just caused a shutdown on the Windows logo after installing the graphics driver. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get Windows 98SE or ME working on this system or is this computer just too new for Windows 9x?

Reply 1 of 10, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes too new. nVidia never released nf4 win9x drivers, just win2k/xp and up afaik. Have you tried disabling onboard video and use a good PCI vid card ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 10, by myne

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Rlowes tools on archive.org might help

I built:
Convert old ASUS ASC boardviews to KICAD PCB!
Re: A comprehensive guide to install and play MechWarrior 2 on new versions on Windows.
Dos+Windows 3.11+tcp+vbe_svga auto-install iso template
Script to backup Win9x\ME drivers from a working install
Re: The thing no one asked for: KICAD 440bx reference schematic

Reply 3 of 10, by Lost-Entrepreneur439

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
Horun wrote on 2025-03-22, 22:33:

Yes too new. nVidia never released nf4 win9x drivers, just win2k/xp and up afaik. Have you tried disabling onboard video and use a good PCI vid card ?

They did have graphics support, on another system with the same chipset (but 6150LE instead of SE), I was able to get 98 working fine. Vintage video cards are impossible to get where I am, and I no longer have that other system.

Reply 4 of 10, by Lost-Entrepreneur439

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
myne wrote on 2025-03-23, 00:24:

Rlowes tools on archive.org might help

Which tools specifically? Iirc, rlowes had a lot of tools for 9x.

Reply 6 of 10, by momaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Matchstick wrote on 2025-03-23, 06:55:

Probably having issues due to the 1GB RAM.

98se by default only supports 512mb, this cause Windows Protection Errors, and other weird things.

^ This.

Also, if this was my system, I would not put Win9x on it - it'd just be a waste of a dual core CPU.
Moreover, I really dislike the nVidia 6150 chipsets, as they are extremely failure-prone. Actually, whichever OS you end up using on it, make sure to put a small fan on the chipset heatsink, or that system won't last long. The worst part is when these start half-dying but occasionally still working "fine". I have two systems like that: one works OK for the most part, minus the LAN port being dead *most* of the time and occasionally the system refusing to boot at all. The other one was dead when I found it. Gave it a reflow and brought it back to life. Then over time, the wireless died.

Reply 7 of 10, by mantis2001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

I have same nForce 430 chipsets with Athlon II X2, the integrated display is 7025 (almost same to 6150) but failed win9x, even force install 6150 not working.

Gigabyte GA-8I915P Duo rev 2.1 (lga775) | P4 651 | ATI x800 gto | 1024MiB ddr2 | 80G IDE | win98se/XP
Colorful C.N68g d3 v16 (AM3) | Athlon X2 245 | GF 6800 | 4GiB ddr3 | 180G SATA | XP/7/Debian

Reply 8 of 10, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
momaka wrote on 2025-03-23, 14:28:

Moreover, I really dislike the nVidia 6150 chipsets, as they are extremely failure-prone.

Yeah, NVIDIA hasn't had much luck with single-chip chipsets, since the nForce 3
I have a dual-chip 6100, and it's still going strong.

Lost-Entrepreneur439 wrote on 2025-03-22, 20:35:

I've been trying to get Windows 98SE working on it, but I can't get it to work

As far as I knew (I use Windows 2000), the Windows 98 drivers are quite functional for this chipset (not for video part).
If you have an available PCI-e 16x, then an external video card will be fine.
For example, FX5950 PCX or Radeon X850 XT Platinum Edition.

PS.Just kidding.
X600 will be very good and sufficient.

Aopen MX3S, PIII-S Tualatin 1133, Radeon 9800Pro@XT BIOS, Audigy 4 SB0610
JetWay K8T8AS, Athlon DH-E6 3000+, Radeon HD2600Pro AGP, Audigy 2 Value SB0400
Gigabyte Ga-k8n51gmf, Turion64 ML-30@2.2GHz , Radeon X800GTO PL16, Diamond monster sound MX300

Reply 9 of 10, by VenomSpark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

I have found an old Olidata PC from my ex office while we were moving things to the new one, i asked if i could bring it home and they said no problem as is very old. I couldn't opened it at the moment, i saw the labels on it saying AMD Sempron and XP and i immediately wanted it for my retro experiments. Turned out is a Sempron Socket 939 Palermo Core, the mobo is an ASUS A8N-VM PSG or something probably from 2006 (i assumed from the BIOS date in CPU-Z, there is no way to update it because good luck with OEM locked mobos) which is already too new for 98, it is surely OEM BIOS locked as there's no way to overclock it but actually don't care at all to OC, it have basic BIOS options like disable IGP memory, IRQ reserved and some other low options. Fact is this mobo have as well an Nvidia chip, i wrote the name on GPT and he said is a nForce 4 430 Chip with the 6150 IGP. I decided to upgrade it with an Athlon 64 3800+ Venice core, add 2GB DDR400 and a Radeon X800 GTO Pci-Express and I installed Windows 98 SE QuickInstall 2026 edition, and by far it runs very well. It have some issues with the SoundBlaster LIVE! PCI in some games (Wolf3D for example) and have an "!" under system managment, but besides this idk if can help or are cases, Nforce 430 despite is imho shitty it can run 98 SE.

ASRock 939S56-M
AMD Athlon 64 4000+ 2.40Ghz San Diego\Toledo (Single Core) 1000Mhz HT FSB
1024MB DDR400 Dual Channel (512x2)
ASUS Nvidia GeForce 6800 GT PCIex 256MB GDDR3
ESS Allegro-1 (ES1989S) PCI
Win98SE+XPSP3+VistaUltimate
HP 56 15" CRT

Reply 10 of 10, by wierd_w

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have an old e-machines SFF machine that is this vintage.

I had wanted to do horrible nt4 experiments with it, but nvidia never released ICD drivers for geforce 6 series IGPs.

There's no end to options for boring XP machines. I wanted a sleeper NT4 box.

It was not to be.