VOGONS


First post, by DexterHill0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

I recently acquired a Packard Bell Executive Multi-Media (9003D) computer that had been sitting a garage for a couple decades. Aside from some tarnished screws, dead bugs and dust, it looks to be in fairly good condition. No caps are bulged, leaking (although that doesn't rule out them being dry), no obviously tarnished or dirty connectors, etc. I gave it a clean with some IPA anyway before turning it on. It came with two ISA cards, some modem/network card and sound blaster 16, and had all 4 SIMM slots populated, one bank being a mismatched pair of sticks (and the default CD-ROM, HDD and floppy reader).
At the time I didn't have a PS/2 keyboard or mouse to hand but I still wanted to check if would even turn on, which it did, and it booted into windows 95 successfully. As I was moving it around, I pressed what I now know is the Reset button on the front, and that took me back to the POST screen where I noticed a message telling me insert some bootable media. I'll be honest I didn't take much notice of the message at that point because I wasn't sure what the button I pressed did, so I kind of assumed that was normal.

Fast forward to where I have a suitable keyboard (which for context is just a raspberry pi translating USB to PS/2 for now) and I go to try and explore this computer only to encounter the bootable media error which I have since been unable to get past. I was noticing during POST it was listing "Floppy A" as "installed". There is a floppy reader but no floppy inside, so I'm not sure if that message meant it thought there was a ghost floppy in the reader, or just that there was a reader available. Either way, I started by replacing the CMOS battery as that was obviously dead, which meant I could save BIOS settings (and disable the floppy) but that didn't change the symptom described earlier.
While in the BIOS I spotted the real symptom which was that both the primary and secondary IDE positions were listed as not installed, which is not true because the internal HDD is connected to the primary IDE header, and the CD-ROM is connected to the secondary header (I tried swapping them with no change). Both also have their jumpers set to the master position. I reseated everything but still none were registered. Up until this point I considered the possibility the HDD was dead, but even if that was true I would still expect to see the CD-ROM, as they both are in separate slots and do not share a cable.
I tried a few different things, like changing the HDDs jumper position to all available positions, removing the mismatched RAM, expansion cards, and even disconnecting the HDD entirely, but I was having some inconsistent POSTs with inconsistent error beeps. I commonly had one short beep, which I think means DRAM refresh error, but I also had 2 short beeps, 3 short beeps, and even 3 long beeps which I couldn't find docs on. There is a caveat here where I think my monitor was not consistently being woken up if the computer did POST, so I can't be certain all were failures. I also did a check of PSU voltage rails, which all came back clean and consistent, including the Power Good signal which had a clean and fast transition from 0V to 5V.

Since then, I have still been unsuccessful in getting either IDE device to be detected. This is making me think somehow the IDE controller IC (Intel PCIset SB82371FB) has died. I hope this isn't the case, and I'm not sure how a single reset could've killed it, but I'm out of other ideas.

Does anyone else have any ideas of things I could check?

Reply 1 of 30, by akimmet

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Are you setting up the drives in the BIOS? IDE drives will not be detected without setup on a system this old.

Reply 2 of 30, by DexterHill0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
akimmet wrote on 2026-07-26, 18:32:

Are you setting up the drives in the BIOS? IDE drives will not be detected without setup on a system this old.

I haven't configured anything yet - the BIOS is basically set to system defaults (which I imagine it was even on the only successful boot I had since the CMOS battery has been dead for a long time). Apologies for the phone pictures of a screen, I don't have a way to capture the screen directly. These are the only config options for IDE devices in the BIOS:
bios_ide.jpg?ex=6a67b644&is=6a6664c4&hm=c28ec5d72ca31c3f87cc61db6db2fa1afff9ffcd1c217202aeb8bafe62f8be15&=&format=webp&width=650&height=400
ide_individual.jpg?ex=6a67b644&is=6a6664c4&hm=040d40598f30484b50f7aa17a6b2c221edecbd724a48bb8bc7042cfe1d08101c&=&format=webp&width=650&height=400
In the advanced BIOS section there's only one related IDE setting which is just if it's enabled, and it is.

Reply 3 of 30, by akimmet

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

OK, this BIOS dose appear to be capable of auto-detecting drives at boot.
The inconsistent ability to POST makes me suspect other motherboard or RAM problems.
Have you checked under the CPU heatsink? If there is a sil-pad, it would have dried out and failed by now.

Reply 4 of 30, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's normal for IDE CD-ROM to not be autodetected in this BIOS, as such detection wasn't needed until CD-ROM boot (El Torito) needed supported. So focus on just the hard drive. Since it sounds like the BIOS settings were wiped, it's possible for the IDE interface to be disabled entirely, but highly unlikely that it's the default.

Reply 5 of 30, by DexterHill0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
akimmet wrote on 2026-07-26, 21:35:

OK, this BIOS dose appear to be capable of auto-detecting drives at boot.
The inconsistent ability to POST makes me suspect other motherboard or RAM problems.
Have you checked under the CPU heatsink? If there is a sil-pad, it would have dried out and failed by now.

I'm not certain on the inconsistent POST, I think that may have been partly user error. I was also experimenting with RAM configurations during that point, like single sticks and different banks, which made it not POST a lot of the time.
Under the CPU heatsink there is definitely something, not sure if its a pad or thermal paste, but youre right I should replace that

jakethompson1 wrote on 2026-07-26, 21:41:

It's normal for IDE CD-ROM to not be autodetected in this BIOS, as such detection wasn't needed until CD-ROM boot (El Torito) needed supported. So focus on just the hard drive. Since it sounds like the BIOS settings were wiped, it's possible for the IDE interface to be disabled entirely, but highly unlikely that it's the default.

Good note on the CD-ROM, I'll ignore that for now then. I've checked and the IDE interface is enabled by default in the advanced options, so that wouldn't be the issue

Reply 6 of 30, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Since you were inside the case messing with RAM, you've already checked that the IDE cables aren't connected backward? Depending on the age of the system, there may not be any protection against that, but if they are, just flip them to be the right way (red stripe = pin 1) and it should work again.

Reply 7 of 30, by DexterHill0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
jakethompson1 wrote on 2026-07-26, 21:59:

Since you were inside the case messing with RAM, you've already checked that the IDE cables aren't connected backward? Depending on the age of the system, there may not be any protection against that, but if they are, just flip them to be the right way (red stripe = pin 1) and it should work again.

Just checked and they're all keyed, so they can't go in backwards unfortunately.

Ignoring the CD-ROM then, I should add as context that the HDD doesn't sound dead either. It spins up, I can hear the head move and it doesn't many any typical dead HDD sounds so I think its still okay

Reply 8 of 30, by DexterHill0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Some more discoveries from this morning which may or may not be useful:
- It seems like the BIOS may not be saving changes properly. The date & time save okay but when changing boot order, or other settings, it does seem to reset back to default on the next POST.
- Doing some research into generic IDE controller failures, I saw a number of recommendations from people saying to disconnected all other devices, except the HDD, which I tried (so no floppy or CD-ROM). Surprisingly, this did let the HDD be discovered, but ONLY when connected to the secondary IDE connected. If it's connected to the primary, it still does not detect the HDD. Unfortunately, I don't know if the BIOS can boot while it's the secondary device and it still prompts for bootable media.

I'm not sure if the latter point is good or bad. It's either helpful info or just cementing the dead IDE controller theory more 😒

Reply 9 of 30, by DaveDDS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lack of Flloppy shouldn't make a differece as that's on a different hardware interface.

Normally the HD is configured as primary select, and CD is configured as secondary select.

It sounds like your HD might have gotten configured as secondary which conflicts with the CD - removing the CD removes the conflict and allows the secondary HD to be detected.

Check the jumpers on the HD (do some research and figure out where exactly they should be, not just "try all") - is it configured as primary? If so, does it still show up as secondary?
- if so, it could indicate a cable, connector or jumper connectivity problem.

https://dunfield.themindfactory.com ; "Daves Old Computers" ; SW dev addict best known:
ImageDisk: rd/wr ANY floppy PChw can ; Micro-C: compiler for DOS+ManySmallCPU ; DDLINK: simple/small filetransfer(w/o netSW)via Lan/Lpt/Com

Reply 10 of 30, by DexterHill0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
DaveDDS wrote on 2026-07-27, 10:33:
Lack of Flloppy shouldn't make a differece as that's on a different hardware interface. […]
Show full quote

Lack of Flloppy shouldn't make a differece as that's on a different hardware interface.

Normally the HD is configured as primary select, and CD is configured as secondary select.

It sounds like your HD might have gotten configured as secondary which conflicts with the CD - removing the CD removes the conflict and allows the secondary HD to be detected.

Check the jumpers on the HD (do some research and figure out where exactly they should be, not just "try all") - is it configured as primary? If so, does it still show up as secondary?
- if so, it could indicate a cable, connector or jumper connectivity problem.

My terminology might be a bit off here, but by primary and secondary I'm referring to the actual IDE connectors on the motherboard. They have separate connectors for a primary and secondary device, both of which can have a master and slave (so allowing for four devices across the two connectors, I guess?). Both the HDD and CD-ROM have their jumpers set to master on their respective IDE channel, but the HDD is only detected when connected to the secondary channel and not the primary channel. The exact HDD model is ST31276A and the jumpers are:

    1   3   5
2 4 6

D1 = jumper across pins 3-4
D0 = jumper across pins 5-6

+--------+--------+---------------------------+
| D1 | D0 | Result |
+--------+--------+---------------------------+
| Open | Open | Slave |
| Open | Closed | Master |
| Closed | Open | Cable Select enabled |
| Closed | Closed | Master, forced Slave |
| | | present |
+--------+--------+---------------------------+

I tried all positions, but by default the jumper is across pins 5 & 6.

Reply 11 of 30, by DaveDDS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, I misunderstood and though you were referring to the position on the cable, not two distinct IDE interfaces.

Still, it seems odd that a primary drive on one interface would affect/conflict with a primary drive on the second interface.

Can you confirm on the mainboard that they are actually different (who knows perhaps Packard put on two connectors to the same interface so as to avoid customers having to set those pesky jumpers - kinda like IBM and the whole Drive A: & B: both jumpered as B: debacle)

Try configuring the CD as secondary(Slave) and see if that allows the HD to be detected.

https://dunfield.themindfactory.com ; "Daves Old Computers" ; SW dev addict best known:
ImageDisk: rd/wr ANY floppy PChw can ; Micro-C: compiler for DOS+ManySmallCPU ; DDLINK: simple/small filetransfer(w/o netSW)via Lan/Lpt/Com

Reply 12 of 30, by CC-Adam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

I have an executive MM 9007 E. I think it might have the same motherboard or similar at least, my BIOS looks the same, it's a Pentium 150 MHz tower system. It auto detects my hard drive and CD drive when you first switch on, if I unplug the hard drive it comes up "Not Installed" in the bios like in your photo, then if I plug in the drive and go back to the BIOS it comes up with the drive model as you would expect. Both the HDD and CD Drive are set as master on their own channel like yours was and both get auto detected without me doing anything. Let me know if you want me to try anything on mine if it could help at all.

Have you tried just the CD drive in IDE 2 to see if just that appears? Set it as master. If this works try setting the hard drive as Master, forced Slave present and the CD drive as slave, and connect them to IDE 2 with a single cable if you have a cable with two drive connectors. Probably not the battery if it is holding date and time (with the power disconnected).

Reply 13 of 30, by DaveDDS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CC-Adam wrote on 2026-07-27, 11:24:

I have an executive MM 9007 E. I think it might have the same motherboard or similar at least, my BIOS looks the same, it's a Pentium 150 MHz tower system. It auto detects my hard drive and CD drive when you first switch on, if I unplug the hard drive it comes up "Not Installed" in the bios like in your photo, then if I plug in the drive and go back to the BIOS it comes up with the drive model as you would expect. Both the HDD and CD Drive are set as master on their own channel like yours was and both get auto detected without me doing anything. Let me know if you want me to try anything on mine if it could help at all.

Which is exactly what I would expect.

Ahh ... re-reading, I see that I originally read too-fast/missed an important point - it wasn't that the CD was removed that made it "work", it was that the HD was moved to the second IDE interface.

This strongly suggests that IDE1 is not working. I expect that if you were to jumper the CD as slave they'd both be detected on IDE2.

Depending on BIOS, it might be possible to set IDE1 devices to "not installed" or via some other option cause it to use IDE2 instead of IDE1.

https://dunfield.themindfactory.com ; "Daves Old Computers" ; SW dev addict best known:
ImageDisk: rd/wr ANY floppy PChw can ; Micro-C: compiler for DOS+ManySmallCPU ; DDLINK: simple/small filetransfer(w/o netSW)via Lan/Lpt/Com

Reply 14 of 30, by CC-Adam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Yes if primary IDE channel is found to be dead, then you can go into the BIOS and change auto configured to disabled for both Primary IDE Master and Primary IDE Slave then it should ignore it. In the boot options, set the first boot device to Hard Disk and all other boot devices to disabled. Although none of this will help if it is unable to save the changes.

If you like I could move my hard drive to the secondary channel and see if it still auto detects and boots, just let me know.

Reply 15 of 30, by DexterHill0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
CC-Adam wrote on 2026-07-27, 12:02:

If you like I could move my hard drive to the secondary channel and see if it still auto detects and boots, just let me know.

That would be really helpful if you could, thanks.

CC-Adam wrote on 2026-07-27, 11:24:

Have you tried just the CD drive in IDE 2 to see if just that appears? Set it as master. If this works try setting the hard drive as Master, forced Slave present and the CD drive as slave, and connect them to IDE 2 with a single cable if you have a cable with two drive connectors. Probably not the battery if it is holding date and time (with the power disconnected).

I did a combination of tests and here are the results:

+----------------------+-----------+------------+------------------+----------------+
| Configuration | HDD Slot | HDD Jumper | CD-ROM Slot | CD-ROM Jumper | Result
+----------------------+-----------+------------+------------------+----------------+
HDD only PRI_IDE Master — — No detection
HDD only PRI_IDE Slave — — No detection
HDD only SEC_IDE Master — — DETECTED
HDD only SEC_IDE Slave — — No detection
HDD + CD-ROM PRI_IDE Master SEC_IDE Slave No detection
HDD + CD-ROM PRI_IDE Slave SEC_IDE Master No detection
HDD + CD-ROM SEC_IDE Master PRI_IDE Slave No detection*
HDD + CD-ROM SEC_IDE Slave PRI_IDE Master No detection*
+----------------------+-----------+------------+------------------+----------------+
* Noticeably longer delay before "insert bootable media" appears

Happy to do more if needed

Reply 16 of 30, by CC-Adam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

No worries, I just tried it, I pulled out the cable from my CD drive and plugged it into the HDD, so now I just have the HDD connected to the secondary channel, it is set as master with the jumpers.

As soon as the machine posts it is detected without any extra delay and boots into Win 95.

It is possible your OS got corrupted when you hit the reset button, but it does also sound likely that your Primary IDE channel is bad. Have you tried swapping the cables too to see if the cable is the issue?

Reply 17 of 30, by DexterHill0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Honestly that explanation to me makes a lot of sense. If the original reset killed the IDE controller while it was doing something with the HDD, perhaps that corrupted it too. For some reason right now it is no longer picking up my keyboard butonce it recognises it again I will try disable the first (primary) IDE slot to see if I can force it into using the secondary slot.

Also, both cables show the same symptoms so I don't think the cables are bad

Reply 18 of 30, by DaveDDS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It does kinda make sense...

But I wouldn't think a reset at any point during startup could "kill the IDE controller"

I do think it *possibly* could corrupt the content of the hard drive but I also think this is unlikely as it shouldn't have been engaged in any write activity to the drive (unless Winblows actually booted - then who knows)

I also think that if the problem is "corrupted drive" it should have tried to boot - possible a "not bootable" error message, or at the least some visible drive activity.

https://dunfield.themindfactory.com ; "Daves Old Computers" ; SW dev addict best known:
ImageDisk: rd/wr ANY floppy PChw can ; Micro-C: compiler for DOS+ManySmallCPU ; DDLINK: simple/small filetransfer(w/o netSW)via Lan/Lpt/Com

Reply 19 of 30, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry... did you remove all ISA/PCI card (they can conflict with IDE controller on your motherboard)?
Its better to start without additional cards leaving motherboard alone for first time.

Need help? Begin with photo and model of your hardware 😉