VOGONS


First post, by PaddyWi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Hi guys,
I own an Abit BH6 Revision 1.02 with newest BIOS version "SS".

It struggles running Coppermine Pentium 3 CPUs. I tested a 933 Mhz and a 1000 Mhz, both with a FSB of 133 Mhz. None boots up.

I can get my hand on a P3 500/100 with 2.0 Volt or a P3 650/100 with 1.65 Volt.

Does this board wants CPUs with a higher or lower Voltage?

Or: Is there a trick to force the CPU into running a FSB of 66 Mhz or 100 Mhz.
Since there are no jumpers I can't find how - the ASUS P2B-F runs both CPUs just fine.

Thanks for your support!

Reply 1 of 10, by sunkindly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

AFAIK 1.02 doesn't support Coppermines above 700MHz, only the 1.1 and 1.2 revisions.

Also, as for the FSB with CMOS reset the BIOS software will default to the safest configuration which would be 66. But you can't set it without getting into the BIOS settings unfortunately.

Reply 2 of 10, by sfryers

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

A 933Mhz 133FSB P3 has a 7x multiplier; the same as a 700MHz 100FSB P3, so I'd have thought it should boot just fine at 66 or 100 MHz FSB. In my experience the BH6 is rather hit and miss with >100Mhz FSBs though, and the earlier revisions aren't rated to supply sufficient stable power to the later, higher-clocked Coppermines.

The board should boot at a safe FSB if the CMOS has been reset, which you can do manually using the jumper or by removing the coin cell battery for a few minutes. Testing with those slower CPUs would probably be helpful.

Are you using Slot 1 CPUs or Socket 370 versions with a 'slotket' adapter?

MT-32 Editor- a timbre editor and patch librarian for Roland MT-32 compatible devices: https://github.com/sfryers/MT32Editor

Reply 3 of 10, by PaddyWi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

I am using Slot 1 CPUs. A Celeron 333 Mhz with a FSB of 66 boots just fine.

Reply 4 of 10, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PaddyWi wrote on 2026-07-30, 19:01:

I am using Slot 1 CPUs. A Celeron 333 Mhz with a FSB of 66 boots just fine.

There's a modded v55 BIOS by @myne which may get your coppermine 933 working (at the foot of the post)...Re: AB-BH6 CPU help

Reply 5 of 10, by CharlieFoxtrot

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sunkindly wrote on 2026-07-30, 18:38:

AFAIK 1.02 doesn't support Coppermines above 700MHz, only the 1.1 and 1.2 revisions.

I have 1.01 and 800MHz coppermine worked just fine it. I don't have it installed nowadays, but I used it for years.

Reply 6 of 10, by NeoG_

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used a Slotket and a socket mod to get a Coppermine to boot on a BH6 1.02, not sure if it’s necessary on a slot CPU.

It was a 1000/133 which I bought before I knew the 1.02 was unstable at 133FSB due to the lack of a 1/4 PCI divider but the CPU runs fine at 840/112.

98/DOS Rig: BabyAT AladdinV, K6-2+/550, V3 2000, 128MB PC100, 20GB HDD, 128GB SD2IDE, SB Live!, SB16-SCSI, PicoGUS, WP32 McCake, iNFRA CD, ZIP100
XP Rig: Lian Li PC-10 ATX, Gigabyte X38-DQ6, Core2Duo E6850, ATi HD5870, 2GB DDR2, 2TB HDD, X-Fi XtremeGamer

Reply 7 of 10, by PaddyWi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

@CharlieFoxtrot
Was it a FSB 133 Coppermine?

Reply 8 of 10, by CharlieFoxtrot

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PaddyWi wrote on 2026-07-31, 05:26:

@CharlieFoxtrot
Was it a FSB 133 Coppermine?

No, a 100MHz one.

You really can't drive FSB at 133MHz on 1.0x boards as due to lack of dividers, AGP and PCI go so much out of spec that your graphics card or something else drops out.

Reply 9 of 10, by PaddyWi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

I was able to run a Coppermine 933/133 FSB with an Abit BH6 Revision 1.02.
It maxes out on 700/100 FSB though. I just re-updated the SS BIOS.

Reply 10 of 10, by Towncivilian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

I vaguely remember a Necroware (?) video on YouTube where it was determined that a certain voltage regulator or resistor pack or some other sort of IC had changed between revisions to provide the compatibility with later chips, anyone else recall seeing something like this?

abit BX-133 RAID, P3-S 1.4Ghz, 768MB PC133, Radeon 9000 PRO, AWE64, 2x40GB RAID1, Sony SDT-9000 & Connor CTD-8000 SCSI DDS2 DAT drives, Realtek 8169 1GB NIC, Adaptec DuoConnect AUA-3121, Win2k SP4
Depeche Mode Live Wiki