VOGONS


First post, by iiamsiincere

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Hello

I have an OEM LGA775 cooler and I have been playing around with different ideas for coolers. I'm still trying to find one that fits the case that it's in as well as providing an actual bump in cooling performance.

I recently figured, maybe I should see if I should only replace the fan, as opposed to the heatsink.
My OEM fan is similar to this
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/3KwAAOSw3ldmOZpG/s-l1600.webp
or to the attachment (I'm at work, so I won't be able to take a picture of my actual CPU cooler for now)

I wanted to try and replace it with a Noctua but the physical design my cause an issue.
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/RYwAAeSwM~xqHeNU/s-l1600.webp (Not noctua as it doesn't seem like they have one the specific measurement I need)
I wanted to potentially get some ideas on what I can do with this setup and I'm open to things like Zip ties but nothing too destructive to achieve the goal of a much cooler CPU.

The current dimensions for the CPU Cooler Fan are 90mm x 90mm x 25mm.
I believe as long as I stay within the 90mm size I can get anything from 10mm to maybe 30mm without causing any case issues and also bringing better temps.

Reply 1 of 6, by Many Bothans

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Just measure and match the distance between the mounting points. Can't really go wrong with Noctua.

  • Zenith Z386SX-20, 8MB FPM, Video 7 1024i, Unhoused
  • AOpen AP43, Am5x86-133@160, 1MB L2, 128MB FPM, Stealth III S540 32MB Savage4, SB32
  • ITX-Llama, 3Dfx V3
  • Asus CUV4X-E, P3-933, 512MB PC133, Hercules 3D Prophet II MX 32MB, SB Live!

Reply 2 of 6, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I especially like those coolers that blow the hot air from the cooler back down onto the board and surrounding components. /S

How is the airflow through the case?

Does the current cooler use a duct or anything to pull cold air in from outside the case?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 6, by iiamsiincere

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
Many Bothans wrote on 2026-08-05, 17:10:

Just measure and match the distance between the mounting points. Can't really go wrong with Noctua.

The problem I'm seeing with most Noctua fans is that they are shaped like cubes where the OEM fan is a circle. When you place it onto the Heatsink mount, you mount the fan with the edges pointing out of the sides or at an angle. I worry that with the tight space, the Cube shaped fans won't properly fit.

Reply 4 of 6, by iiamsiincere

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2026-08-05, 17:38:

I especially like those coolers that blow the hot air from the cooler back down onto the board and surrounding components. /S

How is the airflow through the case?

Does the current cooler use a duct or anything to pull cold air in from outside the case?

I actually have another post regarding the cooling options for the entire case and it's extremely limited as it was a purpose built HTPC. There is a grate above the CPU cooler to bring air in. There's only 1 other case fan and it brings air in from the other side of the case. The side that the CPU is on has the PSU which has a fan only for cooling the PSU.

So I'm limited to only changing the CPU cooler based on the space provided. I did find one really good Noctua that's socket 775 capable that could fit but It barely fits. I'm always concerned that over time, it might cut into some things that normally wouldn't be touched by the OEM cooler.

Reply 5 of 6, by momaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Many Bothans wrote on 2026-08-05, 17:10:

Can't really go wrong with Noctua.

Actually, you can.
Not knowing the specs of the old fan and simply slapping a Noctua fan on there with possibly (likely) lower CFM rating could hurt the cooling performance.
The OEM fans are, usually, picked accordingly with the heatsink they are used on. Of course, I have seen cases where they weren't. So it is a good idea to perform your own studies/observations/tests too.

Generally speaking, the O/P's heatsink is better suited towards high CFM, low-t0-medium pressure fans due to greater spacing between heatsink fins.

iiamsiincere wrote on 2026-08-05, 16:57:

I wanted to potentially get some ideas on what I can do with this setup and I'm open to things like Zip ties but nothing too destructive to achieve the goal of a much cooler CPU.

There's not much you can do, unfortunately.

There are two aspects when it comes to cooling: airflow and heatsink surface area.
More airflow = better cooling
Larger heatsink surface area = better cooling

In your case, you want to reuse the current heatsink, so surface area will remain the same. That means the only thing you can do is try to increase airflow... which usually will come at the cost of extra noise. On that note, Noctua fans do have a pretty good noise-to-CFM ratio (well, they cost quite a bit, so they better!) But you will have to make sure that whatever Noctua fan you get can actually provide higher CFM than the current OEM fan. Otherwise, you'll just be wasting money and not improving anything. Also, Noctua are not the only choice for good quality fans. If you head on over to Digikey or Mouser (or other large electronics parts supplier), you can get similar or better performance from the good known fan manufacturers like San Ace, Sanyo Denki, Nidec, Delta, and etc. (And possibly a lot cheaper than Noctua too. IMO, Noctua are like the Apple/iMacs among computers - overall pretty good quality but very overpriced for what they are... but people around here keep regurgitating their name like they are the only and best option in every case.)

cyclone3d wrote on 2026-08-05, 17:38:

I especially like those coolers that blow the hot air from the cooler back down onto the board and surrounding components. /S

That's a common misconception people make.
The air from the cooler is actually not that hot at all (if it is, you definitely aren't using a heatsink that's large enough) and in many cases *helps* to cool MOSFETs and surrounding components better.

Reply 6 of 6, by iiamsiincere

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
momaka wrote on 2026-08-06, 17:18:
Actually, you can. Not knowing the specs of the old fan and simply slapping a Noctua fan on there with possibly (likely) lower C […]
Show full quote
Many Bothans wrote on 2026-08-05, 17:10:

Can't really go wrong with Noctua.

Actually, you can.
Not knowing the specs of the old fan and simply slapping a Noctua fan on there with possibly (likely) lower CFM rating could hurt the cooling performance.
The OEM fans are, usually, picked accordingly with the heatsink they are used on. Of course, I have seen cases where they weren't. So it is a good idea to perform your own studies/observations/tests too.

Generally speaking, the O/P's heatsink is better suited towards high CFM, low-t0-medium pressure fans due to greater spacing between heatsink fins.

iiamsiincere wrote on 2026-08-05, 16:57:

I wanted to potentially get some ideas on what I can do with this setup and I'm open to things like Zip ties but nothing too destructive to achieve the goal of a much cooler CPU.

There's not much you can do, unfortunately.

I love all of this. Thank you. I'm going to do some research right now.

There are two aspects when it comes to cooling: airflow and heatsink surface area.
More airflow = better cooling
Larger heatsink surface area = better cooling

In your case, you want to reuse the current heatsink, so surface area will remain the same. That means the only thing you can do is try to increase airflow... which usually will come at the cost of extra noise. On that note, Noctua fans do have a pretty good noise-to-CFM ratio (well, they cost quite a bit, so they better!) But you will have to make sure that whatever Noctua fan you get can actually provide higher CFM than the current OEM fan. Otherwise, you'll just be wasting money and not improving anything. Also, Noctua are not the only choice for good quality fans. If you head on over to Digikey or Mouser (or other large electronics parts supplier), you can get similar or better performance from the good known fan manufacturers like San Ace, Sanyo Denki, Nidec, Delta, and etc. (And possibly a lot cheaper than Noctua too. IMO, Noctua are like the Apple/iMacs among computers - overall pretty good quality but very overpriced for what they are... but people around here keep regurgitating their name like they are the only and best option in every case.)

cyclone3d wrote on 2026-08-05, 17:38:

I especially like those coolers that blow the hot air from the cooler back down onto the board and surrounding components. /S

That's a common misconception people make.
The air from the cooler is actually not that hot at all (if it is, you definitely aren't using a heatsink that's large enough) and in many cases *helps* to cool MOSFETs and surrounding components better.