First post, by verenas
I've recently finished building a win98SE pc (specs below). At a late stage I decided to add the above mentioned soundcard to handle sound for dos games and have it routed through an audigy 2 ZS handling everything else.
I'd finally finished the build yesterday with everything working great, ran xcom for 3 hours before turning the pc off. I came back later and after starting the pc it was stuck in a restart loop and would never make it to desktop.
I removed the awe64 this morning and that seems to have resolved the issue. The only help I could find mentioned my modern psu may not function properly with the awe64 due to it having no native -5v rail. I'm hoping someone can assist me with a route forward if that actually makes sense as the issue? Should I have a different psu, is there an adaptor that can be added to the one I have, any help would be greatly appreciated!
Motherboard: ASUS P3B-F (Intel 440BX chipset, AGP, PCI, ISA slots, onboard SB-LINK header)
• Processor: Intel Pentium III @ 900MHz
• Memory: 512MB SDRAM (2x256MB PC100/PC133)
• Graphics Card: MSI NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 (AGP)
• Primary Storage: 32GB SanDisk Extreme Pro CompactFlash card running via a StarTech 3.5" IDE-to-CF Adapter
• Sound Card (ISA): Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold
• Sound Card (PCI): Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS (PCI, model SB0350
• Power Supply: Corsair CX500M 500W (ATX12V v2.3, semi-modular, 20A +5V rail, (lacks native -5V?) Pin 20 rail)
• Operating System: Windows 98 Second Edition (SE)