VOGONS


First post, by s997863

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

When playing the original 5-CD version of Baldur's Gate 1 on modern PCs, the ambient (non-combat) music almost never starts playing unless you force it to, by either quicksaving or by switching between window/fullscreen modes. It usually re-starts after combat music ends, but rarely continues to loop.

For example:
Start a new game in Candlekeep and walk in & out of the tavern behind you repeatedly: the tavern music should start playing every single time you enter, and it should keep looping as long as you stay inside.

At first I thought this problem is only CPU-speed related, because it's lessened if you slow down the game so much that it stutters badly. But I never had this music problem back on a Pentium-200 even though game was running smoothly.

Then I found a fix that only works on Win-XP (tested on Core-2-Duo, Intel graphics):
- Go to dxdiag.exe and completely turn off the sound acceleration slider.
- This ALMOST fixes the problem. You'll find the tavern music starting normally every time regardless of how fast & smooth the game is running, but there are other spots where it sometimes starts and sometimes doesn't, e.g. in the night walking cutscene with Gorion before the combat cutscene with Sarevok, or just when Imoen comes to join you after that ... etc.

Since the DirectX sound acceleration slider is missing from Win7 onwards, I have no solution other than to play BG1 on a Core-2-Duo PC.
Dual-booting to XP on 2nd & 3rd gen intel PCs didn't help: BG1 graphics run fine on those PCs in Win7, but their same GPUs stutter horribly on BG1 in WinXP (tested on Intel-HD graphics, Radeon 7850).

I've posted this over a decade ago on forums like GemRB, Beamdog for BG-EE, and Gibberlings ... etc. It just occurred to me to try here because some of the members here were smart enough to find assembly-level fixes for some DOS speed-sensitive games. Though it may be too late. I wonder how many people now even remember that BG-1 had music in every single indoor/outdoor area, unlike BG-2.

Note: I'm looking specifically for a solution for the 5-CD original BG1. I'm not interested in BG-2 engine total conversion mods (BGT / Tutu) or BG:EE.

Reply 1 of 3, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting. I never noticed. I tried dsound.dll version 5.3.2600.5512 (downloaded from dll-files, not recommended) and it seemed much better on my Win11 setup. I'll have to remember that next time I want to replay this.

But I sort of doubt this worked 100% back in the day.

Reply 2 of 3, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looking at the BioWare Patches page for BG1, does the installer prompt you to install the Version 1.1.4315 Patch and the DX8+ patches, or do you just have to know you need to get those from BioWare?

The page says specifically:

Note to users of the five CD version of Baldur's Gate: When you are installing the five CD version of Baldur's Gate you must have both the "Baldur's Gate 1.1.4315" and "Baldur's Gate DirectX 8+" patches installed for your region. Multiplayer will not function on machines with later versions of DirectX unless both patches are installed.

Reply 3 of 3, by s997863

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Thank you so much, ZellSF!
I don't know what made you try putting the old DX9 dll file in the game folder, but it's now working in Win7 about the same as it does when I disable sound acceleration in WinXP: i.e. the music ALMOST always plays, although there are some side effects. For example, when you go inside the tavern and come back outside to the starting area, the game volume seems to have suddenly gotten very high (the birds chirping is a LOT louder than when you first load here). But this happens on WinXP too, and this is one less game I have to worry about preserving an old PC to enjoy!

I still have to test it more. I noticed another weird thing when using the no acceleration workaround on WinXP: the music still fails to play in a few areas. For example, when you enter the inn, go upstairs (where there is actually no in-game ambient music) and then return downstairs, the tavern music doesn't restart. I actually found it works better if you INCREASE the game speed to at least 40 FPS in the launcher config menu. This is a nice balance of increasing the slow walking speed without breaking the scripted in-game cutscenes too much, which depended on the original 30 fps speed.

akula65, the 5-cd box I have already says 1.1.4315 after a fresh install (probably a pre-patched late re-release). I never saw any benefit from the patch 1.1.4315 file nor the separate DX8 patch for any issues. E.g. the game has graphical glitches on my Win7 PC now like the fog-of-war being blocky edged. This is fixed by setting the in-game graphics options to 16-bit and ticking the 'software transparent BLT' box."