VOGONS


First post, by iiamsiincere

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Hello

I just wanted to get some tips and tricks to be aware of when installing Windows XP onto an SSD.
Things that I should be aware of?
Pros or Cons?
Things that I should pay attention to, to keep my machine stable?
Settings to make sure to turn on or off?
Newer software to install to help make the process smoother?

I'm thinking of either cloning the OEM drive of my computer, to make access to all of the hardware more seamless or using one of those XP Integral images.

Reply 1 of 3, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you plan to use an IDE (PATA) SSD, a SATA SSD, or a PCIe SSD (NVMe)?

PATA and SATA drives will appear normally to the Windows XP installer. NVMe will require slipstreamed drivers.

I use a combination of a SATA SSD drive to boot and run programs with Windows XP, and a HDD for the swap file and bulk storage. That reduces wear and tear on the SSD.

Last edited by fosterwj03 on 2026-08-08, 22:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 3, by iiamsiincere

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
fosterwj03 wrote on 2026-08-08, 22:03:

Do you plan to use a IDE (PATA) SSD, a SATA SSD, or a PCIe SSD (NVMe)?

PATA and SATA drives will appear normally to the Windows XP installer. NVMe will require slipstreamed drivers.

I use a combination of a SATA drive to boot and run programs with Windows XP, and a HDD for the swap file and bulk storage. That reduces wear and tear on the SSD.

I plan to use SATA SSD. I was thinking of maybe getting an M.2-to-SATA because I may not have any SSDs under 1TB worth using this with but for the most part, SATA SSD.

Reply 3 of 3, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a 500GB SSD for Windows XP and a 1TB HDD as a secondary drive. All of my GoG and Steam games only use about three quarters of the SSD.