VOGONS


Win98 build hangs

Topic actions

First post, by Noko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

I've recently started a new PC build for Windows 98- only issue is I've been having problems getting past boot. My PC POSTs just fine, but always hangs right after detecting my IDE drives. I've got the following specs below:

Motherboard: ASUS P3C-2000
CPU: Pentium III @500Mhz
GPU: Nvidia FX 5200
I've got a DVD drive plugged in from my HP Pavilion and a Seagate Medalist 4gb HDD.

I originally had in a Pentium II before I realized it wasn't supported, as I always would get an "improper CPU internal frequency" error when entering BIOS. I got this error once with the Pentium III but not anymore, of course this leads me to wonder what could possibly causing my system to hang? I've replaced the battery and reset the BIOS settings to their defaults but no dice.
Any help would be appreciated. 🥲

Reply 1 of 6, by DJNW

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Is the drive actually okay?
If you take the HDD and/or DVD drives out of the computer, will it boot off a floppy?

Reply 2 of 6, by Noko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
DJNW wrote on 2026-08-08, 18:07:

Is the drive actually okay?
If you take the HDD and/or DVD drives out of the computer, will it boot off a floppy?

Both drives work fine- the HDD has a Win98 SE (albeit broken) install. I was hoping I could reinstall win98 if it managed to get past boot.
I removed both drives and just left my floppy drive in but I still can't get past boot. I rechecked my BIOS and now it tells me the system hung due to the "improper internal CPU frequency" though I have it set to 500Mhz and this MB supports it.
I'm really racking my brain over this 😣

Reply 3 of 6, by DJNW

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Okay, so a few things to try in no particular order:

-Check your jumpers/switches, they might have got knocked
-check the cpu hasn’t got any bent pins and there’s no cracks or tiny SMD parts broken
-is the cr2032 okay - Knocked loose or discharged?
-look at the board’s capacitors - are any showing bulges/crusty stuff or outright missing?
-is the bios itself actually okay?

Reply 4 of 6, by Noko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
DJNW wrote on 2026-08-09, 07:43:
Okay, so a few things to try in no particular order: […]
Show full quote

Okay, so a few things to try in no particular order:

-Check your jumpers/switches, they might have got knocked
-check the cpu hasn’t got any bent pins and there’s no cracks or tiny SMD parts broken
-is the cr2032 okay - Knocked loose or discharged?
-look at the board’s capacitors - are any showing bulges/crusty stuff or outright missing?
-is the bios itself actually okay?

You might have been onto something regarding the jumpers- I took everything about and removed a jumper I had on my DVD drive, originally I had my HDD and DVD drive as masters but once my DVD drive was set to slave I booted right into my win98 boot disc. I'm going to see if I can still boot with both IDE drives connected since I only had my DVD drive in.

Reply 5 of 6, by DJNW

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Silly question - are they both master on the same ide cable? If so, they'll fight.

Reply 6 of 6, by Noko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
DJNW wrote on 2026-08-09, 22:31:

Silly question - are they both master on the same ide cable? If so, they'll fight.

No- I had them on separate IDE cables, I had my HDD as a primary master and DVD drive as secondary master- guess the BIOs didn't like that. I've got both drives connected with my DVD as secondary slave and finally can get past boot. Just now gotta reinstall win98 onto the HDD and I'll finally be free 😊