First post, by jmsajdak
I am attempting to as close as possible to recreate the 386SX build my Dad and I did in what I think was the spring of 1994. There are a lot of specifics I can't remember anymore as it has been a LONG time since 1994.
Any ideas of what video card I should get? We originally only had VGA graphics as we reused the monitor from our Tandy 1000 RLX, so for this build I an only interested in VGA.
In My Possession
PCChips M396F RAV-2.1 Am386SX-40 (This was probably not the exact board we had but is from the right time frame and we did frequency build with PCChips boards in the late 90s so I figured it could have been close)
11 Bay Full Tower PC AT Case w/ Power Supply(We originally had a much smaller case but those seem hard to find, we did eventually have a case this size though that housed multiple builds)
Western Digital Caviar 2250 IDE Hard Drive (Don't remember what HDD we did have but this was the capacity we had, and let me tell you upgrading from the 40mb in our Tandy 1000 RLX to this we thought we would never fill it up-Spoiler Alert, we filled it)
Winbond W83757F SAB-757 (I have zero memory of what kind of HDD/FDD controller card we had)
Sound Blaster 16 CT 1750 Isa Sound Card With 34 Pin Sony CD-ROM (Pretty sure this was the setup we had for our first sound card and CD-ROM)
1.44mb Floppy Drive
Still have to Obtain
4x 1MB 30-Pin 80ns Non-Parity FPM Memory (We originally only had 2mb of RAM and I figure I can play with between 2mb and 4mb)
VGA Card
IDE Cable (Probably have one in a drawer somewhere)
Floppy Cable (Probably have one in a drawer somewhere)
Eventually Want to Obtain to Play With
387 Math Co-Processor
Upgrade to full 16mb RAM
100mb ZIP Drive (We had one of these at one point and it was a fun backup solution)