VOGONS


First post, by ajacocks

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

Folks,

I also asked this on the VCF forum, but thought that this group might well have more diverse PC knowledge.

I lucked in to an empty chassis for an Orchid Portable PCIII. This is the same chassis as @polishvito posted about a few years ago. Mine is different in that it has a paperwhite passive matrix VGA LCD instead of his CGA plasma display. Interestingly, Orchid systems made the chassis as a Compaq Portable III/386 clone, and still exists today. They references that machine on their current site.

I've already found, in my existing collection, an SBC (Advantech PCA-6144S 486 SBC) and a video card that supports greyscale passive panels (Advantech PCA-6653 ). I ordered a backplane suitable for the chassis and tested the SBC and video card successfully.

The tough part is that the panel is seemingly undocumented online (I have searched a LOT), and so I have had to beep out the connections between the LCD itself, the interposer board that provides signal and power to it, and to the backlight controller PCB. My results are in this Google sheet.

Any assistance in identifying the pin mapping between the 16 pin ribbon cable that provides signal, the 5 pin molex cable that provides power, the 44 pin connector on the PCA-6653, and the PSU, would be appreciated. The manual page for the PCA-6653 that lists the connector pinout is on archive.org. The manual for the SBC, should that be useful, is here.

Thanks!
- Alex

Reply 1 of 2, by MikeSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The datasheet is available for the Chips 65545: https://www.vgamuseum.info/index.php/companie … nologies-f65545

It has a reduced pinout section for the LCD Flat Panel interface. In Pinouts (65545) > Pin Descriptions - Flat Panel Interface. Attached a picture.

That may reduce the amount of guessing. The reduced pinout only has FLM, LP, M, SHFCLK, P15:0. The full 44pin pullout has P23:0, multiple power rail, ground, KB lines.

CN2 and CN3 are shared (internal and external connector), and the official external connector splits monitor and keyboard/mouse I believe.....a lot more lines that you need.

So extracting only the minimum lines required from the 44pin connector would help. Not sure how many of the P15:0 lines are used for a black & white display.

Reply 2 of 2, by ajacocks

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

I wish that I could find one of the original video cards, as they seem to be a reference design and they should match exactly to the pinout of the LCD. You can see a low quality black & white picture of a 16 bit original VGA card on the (attached) Orchid reference page.

I have some guesses as to the pinout. I'm really not an expert on wiring on STN panels, though.

- Alex