First post, by Mike_
I have a GA-7ZXE board to which I have soldered an ISA socket and some missing support components. Currently AWE64 seems to work fine, audio plays as you would expect, even when using sound fonts uploaded to the memory, and there are no audible errors. However, when running Creative's diagnose.exe, it fails on memory check saying that the DRAM onboard is faulty.
The card works fine on another system, so presumably the problem is caused by ISA bus. So I tried tweaking PCI/ISA bridge settings with WPCREDIT, and lowering ISA clock from PCICLK/4 to PCICLK/12 makes the test pass. So it's probably some kind of signal integrity problem, possibly caused by some component still being missing. Could it be caused by resistor net for address lines 20-23 not being populated, even though AWE64 does not use those lines? I assumed that they would not be needed as they are unused, but I'm not sure how transfers exactly work on ISA bus.