VOGONS


First post, by jlufanatic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Hi all, new here!

I have a Compaq Presario 5630 (1998) with these specs:

Mainboard Chipset: Intel 440BX 100MHz FSB slot1
Processor Intel Pentium II 300MHz
64MB SDRAM PC100
4,0 GB Quantum Bigfoot
Onboard ATi Rage LT 4MB

Soon to be upgrades:

Intel Pentium III 500MHz
3DFX Voodoo3 2000
64MB to 128MB RAM
3.5” 40GB PATA/IDE 7200 RPM

Now, my issue.
Got a P3 500 MHz, read I wouldn’t need a bios flash or anything, just pull the old one out and put the new one in. I did. PC shows life but gets a ”no signal on the screen.
So I put the old PII back in and all is back to normal.

Now, there’s a bios file available (2.38 dated 1999, final, 6814. My bios reads 6812, which confuses me.

Here’s where I need assistance, can I flash to, hopefully, support my new processor?

Have a good day!

Reply 1 of 12, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jlufanatic wrote on 2026-08-24, 01:15:
Hi all, new here! […]
Show full quote

Hi all, new here!

I have a Compaq Presario 5630 (1998) with these specs:

Mainboard Chipset: Intel 440BX 100MHz FSB slot1
Processor Intel Pentium II 300MHz
64MB SDRAM PC100
4,0 GB Quantum Bigfoot
Onboard ATi Rage LT 4MB

Soon to be upgrades:

Intel Pentium III 500MHz
3DFX Voodoo3 2000
64MB to 128MB RAM
3.5” 40GB PATA/IDE 7200 RPM

Now, my issue.
Got a P3 500 MHz, read I wouldn’t need a bios flash or anything, just pull the old one out and put the new one in. I did. PC shows life but gets a ”no signal on the screen.
So I put the old PII back in and all is back to normal.

Now, there’s a bios file available (2.38 dated 1999, final, 6814. My bios reads 6812, which confuses me.

Here’s where I need assistance, can I flash to, hopefully, support my new processor?

Have a good day!

Welcome to VOGONS 😀

v2.38 (SP12234) seems to be the correct ROMPaq update for your system (read more here https://ftp.zx.net.nz/pub/archive/ftp.hp.com/ … 500/sp12234.txt ) and will include the latest processor patches and fixes for possible conflicts between onboard graphics and Voodoo 3 cards.

Best bet is to apply the update and report if that resolves your issues (or not!)

Reply 2 of 12, by jlufanatic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Great! Thanks! Is there a download link?

Reply 4 of 12, by jlufanatic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
Babasha wrote on 2026-08-24, 07:23:

Hi! Bios flash was a success! However, the P3 still didn’t work. I think I attempted install twice on old bios and three with 2.38
I also attempted with and without the cmos battery all I’ve got is low fan rpm psu and black display no signal. Even tried disconnecting all drives and devices, no luck! Then put my P2 back in. Works everytime!

Reply 5 of 12, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jlufanatic wrote on 2026-08-24, 16:34:
Babasha wrote on 2026-08-24, 07:23:

Hi! Bios flash was a success! However, the P3 still didn’t work. I think I attempted install twice on old bios and three with 2.38
I also attempted with and without the cmos battery all I’ve got is low fan rpm psu and black display no signal. Even tried disconnecting all drives and devices, no luck! Then put my P2 back in. Works everytime!

Is your P3/500 Katmai Slot1 version? Not the Coppermine with Slot1-S370 adapter?

Did you try with other DIMM(s)?

Need help? Begin with photo and model of your hardware 😉

Reply 6 of 12, by jlufanatic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

It is Katmai slot 1, supposedly 100mhz 2.0 volts
I just ordered a new Samsung 128 mb stick
The flashed firmware is supposed to have Wilder ram support now

Reply 7 of 12, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wonder if there is any activity on one of those POST analyzer cards. Maybe you have one, any beeps from the PC speaker?

Dead CPU? How does the die of the CPU look, any cracks or pieces broken off?

has all kinds of stuff

Reply 8 of 12, by jlufanatic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
PD2JK wrote on 2026-08-24, 18:46:

I wonder if there is any activity on one of those POST analyzer cards. Maybe you have one, any beeps from the PC speaker?

Dead CPU? How does the die of the CPU look, any cracks or pieces broken off?

My Presario never beeps, I don’t think it has one
I haven’t removed the heatsink, I read they’re very fragile. The cpu was sold as is with no guarantee of functioning, maybe it is just broken, I didn’t know for sure

Reply 9 of 12, by jlufanatic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
jlufanatic wrote on 2026-08-25, 02:15:
PD2JK wrote on 2026-08-24, 18:46:

I wonder if there is any activity on one of those POST analyzer cards. Maybe you have one, any beeps from the PC speaker?

Dead CPU? How does the die of the CPU look, any cracks or pieces broken off?

My Presario never beeps, I don’t think it has one
I haven’t removed the heatsink, I read they’re very fragile. The cpu was sold as is with no guarantee of functioning, maybe it is just broken, I didn’t know for sure

Do you think there is a cpu qvl list? That way I’d know compatible cpu’s

Reply 10 of 12, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jlufanatic wrote on 2026-08-25, 02:16:
jlufanatic wrote on 2026-08-25, 02:15:
PD2JK wrote on 2026-08-24, 18:46:

I wonder if there is any activity on one of those POST analyzer cards. Maybe you have one, any beeps from the PC speaker?

Dead CPU? How does the die of the CPU look, any cracks or pieces broken off?

My Presario never beeps, I don’t think it has one
I haven’t removed the heatsink, I read they’re very fragile. The cpu was sold as is with no guarantee of functioning, maybe it is just broken, I didn’t know for sure

Do you think there is a cpu qvl list? That way I’d know compatible cpu’s

Does your version of the board have the three 66/100 MHz frequency jumpers

The attachment Presario 5600 P3 Jumpers.jpg is no longer available

Reply 11 of 12, by jlufanatic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2026-08-25, 17:21:
Does your version of the board have the three 66/100 MHz frequency jumpers […]
Show full quote
jlufanatic wrote on 2026-08-25, 02:16:
jlufanatic wrote on 2026-08-25, 02:15:

My Presario never beeps, I don’t think it has one
I haven’t removed the heatsink, I read they’re very fragile. The cpu was sold as is with no guarantee of functioning, maybe it is just broken, I didn’t know for sure

Do you think there is a cpu qvl list? That way I’d know compatible cpu’s

Does your version of the board have the three 66/100 MHz frequency jumpers

The attachment Presario 5600 P3 Jumpers.jpg is no longer available

According to Google, 5630 mainboard does everything automaticslly, there are no jumpers on this particular board for that reason. All the volts and mhz’s match the slot requirements with the latest bios, it’s a bit strange to me that it doesn’t seem to work. The bios 2.38 even expanded support for CPU and RAM 😒

Reply 12 of 12, by jlufanatic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2026-08-25, 17:21:
jlufanatic wrote on 2026-08-25, 02:16:
jlufanatic wrote on 2026-08-25, 02:15:

My Presario never beeps, I don’t think it has one
I haven’t removed the heatsink, I read they’re very fragile. The cpu was sold as is with no guarantee of functioning, maybe it is just broken, I didn’t know for sure

Do you think there is a cpu qvl list? That way I’d know compatible cpu’s

Does your version of the board have the three 66/100 MHz frequency jumpers

The attachment Presario 5600 P3 Jumpers.jpg is no longer available

This is what I got from Google

The board after bios update supports Katmai Pentium III 450/500 MHz CPU’s with a warning that the Katmai processors run way hotter with more heat produced