VOGONS


First post, by peke12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

I have an Intel D945PAW motherboard with a pentium D 830 equipped.
It is an LGA775 socket and the chipset is an Intel 945P express.
Asking chatgpt or Copilot if it is compatible, they all say it is.
Although I'm still not convinced. I find different info on Retroweb.
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/intel-d945paw-atwood

My question, is it in any way possible that I can install an Intel core 2 duo E6600 on this motherboard?
the computer will be installed with windows xp.
Other hardware used:
Sound Blaster audigy zs 2
radeon hd 4670

Reply 1 of 5, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
peke12 wrote on 2026-08-25, 10:07:
I have an Intel D945PAW motherboard with a pentium D 830 equipped. It is an LGA775 socket and the chipset is an Intel 945P expr […]
Show full quote

I have an Intel D945PAW motherboard with a pentium D 830 equipped.
It is an LGA775 socket and the chipset is an Intel 945P express.
Asking chatgpt or Copilot if it is compatible, they all say it is.
Although I'm still not convinced. I find different info on Retroweb.
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/intel-d945paw-atwood

My question, is it in any way possible that I can install an Intel core 2 duo E6600 on this motherboard?
the computer will be installed with windows xp.
Other hardware used:
Sound Blaster audigy zs 2
radeon hd 4670

When asking a chatbot LLM AI, I strongly recommend that you always ask it for a reference AND that you verify that reference yourself. You might need to go through a few rounds of being given invalid references and challenging the AI on them before you are given verifiable (and hopefully trustworthy) references OR the AI gives up (or you do so).

If and until an AI can demonstrably prove what it is affirming, or if and until you can empirically verify it or corroborate it with a trustworthy source, its affirmation is absolutely and completely untrustworthy and should be ignored.

Reply 2 of 5, by Karbist

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

It looks like the cpu vcore is generated by ADP3181 PWM IC which is not compatible with Core 2 duo.

Reply 3 of 5, by mr.cat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
Karbist wrote on 2026-08-25, 11:50:

It looks like the cpu vcore is generated by ADP3181 PWM IC which is not compatible with Core 2 duo.

Thank you, that clears up something I've wondered about these 945P based boards:
Some of them gain support for Core2 via a BIOS update, but some never do.
And apparently there are some boards that can be modded to support some Core2 CPUs (the link is about 975X though, not 945P).

I'd always imagined that if the board could support Pentium D,
it would not break a sweat with Core2 (as Pentium D is two P4s slapped together, basically).
So, there's more to that than just having enough power, you need some compatilibity on the board hw as well.

Reply 4 of 5, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
peke12 wrote on 2026-08-25, 10:07:
I have an Intel D945PAW motherboard with a pentium D 830 equipped. It is an LGA775 socket and the chipset is an Intel 945P expr […]
Show full quote

I have an Intel D945PAW motherboard with a pentium D 830 equipped.
It is an LGA775 socket and the chipset is an Intel 945P express.
Asking chatgpt or Copilot if it is compatible, they all say it is.
Although I'm still not convinced. I find different info on Retroweb.
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/intel-d945paw-atwood

My question, is it in any way possible that I can install an Intel core 2 duo E6600 on this motherboard?
the computer will be installed with windows xp.
Other hardware used:
Sound Blaster audigy zs 2
radeon hd 4670

Here's a more detailed processor support list... https://web.archive.org/web/20100526212628id_ … b/CS-026940.htm

Reply 5 of 5, by peke12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Thanks for the helpful answers.
conclusion: Core 2 duo processors not supported. 🙁