VOGONS


First post, by TheFighterJetDude

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Thanks to EAZY BLACK, we officially now have the 359.06 XP driver ported to vanilla Windows 2000, which means we are no longer restricted to the GTX 480 without the extended kernel!

In my testing here, I have a 2500K system with a 980 Ti, and although for now there is no control panel, the driver itself seems to be stable! And yes, 3D acceleration seems to work fine as well.

The driver: https://w7revived.chefkiss.dev/DriverDatabase … 06_W2K_Beta1.7z

Required updates (Update Rollup 1 and KB829884) are in here: https://legacywindowssoftware.duckdns.org/fil … 0%28Vanilla%29/

Reply 1 of 5, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Aw, man! You just made my GTX 480 obsolete.

Reply 2 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice!

I was limited to 2000 BWC with a 980TI on one rig for 2000 as the minimum Windows OS (unless I added a 8800 GT as a eGPU) on my 5950x (Proxmox)
or was limited to that same 8800 GT as the most powerful GPU for 2000 whereas now mabye the 780 can be used on my 6700k (Proxmox)

Now I can ditch the 8800 GT assuming no games need it and if they do I'll just use it as a eGPU for when it is needed.
DosFreak All System Specs 7-2-2026

It'll take quite awhile before I get back to 2000 testing though since currently I'm working through my collection of all my games downloaded from online stores and cleaning up and verifying the emulators and cracks with Windows 11. After that it's a tossup between XP 32bit and Linux......but that was before when I was stuck with the 8800GT so mabye it'll be 2000 or Linux after 11.

Something to test would be to see if Nvidia Inspector 1.9.6.5 or 1.9.6.6 work on Windows 2000.

Ultimately though it sure would be nice to have newer GPUs for 2000 for when my 980ti inevitably fails that is at least performant enough to run at higher resolutions on a modern monitor at 60fps in D3D/OGL.
This looked promising a couple of years ago:
https://www.furygpu.com/about

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 5, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yup, it works!

This is, without a doubt, awesome. As previously posted, I also won't have to remove the GTX 980 Ti from my retro rocket to run vanilla Windows 2000.

Thank you!

Edit: I also like how the driver defaults to GPU scaling over HDMI. Extra nice!

Reply 4 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Supposedly a XP driver for the 1080
Re: 980ti Windows XP HDMI audio

if true would be interesting to see the differences between 359.06, 368.81 and the above driver. I know BWC originally modified 359.06. Vanilla would be best but at worst BWC extended core may be usable for a newer driver.

On the BWC website back in 2016 BWC did modify the 360x drivers (unknown what version) but they crashed on loading and he was not able to track it down.

My 1080ti is gathering dust in the closet but if the above driver works then.... egpu for 980 for 2000, egpu for 1080 for XP and Vista, egpu for 3080 for 7. This is for my 5950x.

780 as a backup for 980 and 1080 and 3060 as a backup for 3080.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2026-09-27, 22:58. Edited 3 times in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 5, by TheFighterJetDude

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
DosFreak wrote on 2026-09-27, 22:28:
Supposedly a XP driver for the 1080 Re: 980ti Windows XP HDMI audio […]
Show full quote

Supposedly a XP driver for the 1080
Re: 980ti Windows XP HDMI audio

if true would be interesting to see the differences between 359.06, 368.81 and the above driver. I know BWC originally modified 359.06. Vanilla would be best but at worst BWC extended core may be usable for a newer driver.

On the BWC website back in 2016 he mention that he did modify the 360x drivers but they crashed on loading and he was not able to track it down.

Yeah, I think Eazy Black tried porting 368.91 originally but it wouldn't start