VOGONS


First post, by Dleatherhoff

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Hello,

I'm looking to upgrade my P3 600E + Voodoo3 to a late 1999 early 2000 P3 800 (or 850) + Geforce 2 gts
I've already snagged the Geforce but I cant find the P3, 800mhz, 850mhz or 1ghz are eluding me.
I have a P6BAT A+ rev 2.2 motherboard so I'm stuck with 100mhz fsb

If anybody has such a processor he's willing to part with or some pointer to find one, it would be much appreciated!

Reply 1 of 17, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just a note that VOGONS isn't intended to be used as a marketplace. Please don't use it for any personal buying or selling.

In regards to obtaining specific processors, my recommendation is setting up an Ebay search for specific processors. This way you will get notified when one appears for sale.

You could also try the Amibay forum (https://www.amibay.com/), since that forum is intended for buying and selling vintage hardware.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 2 of 17, by Dleatherhoff

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

My bad, didn't mean to break the rules.

Reply 3 of 17, by Dleatherhoff

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

EDIT: Followed your advice and joined the amibay forums, thanks.

Mods can delete this thread if it's against the rules, again my bad.

Reply 4 of 17, by Mike_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member
Shponglefan wrote on 2026-08-27, 14:57:

Just a note that VOGONS isn't intended to be used as a marketplace. Please don't use it for any personal buying or selling.

Btw, why is this? Many other forums have a buy/sell subforum...

Reply 6 of 17, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mike_ wrote on 2026-08-27, 15:57:

Btw, why is this? Many other forums have a buy/sell subforum...

My understanding is it's to avoid the headaches and potential liability that comes with individuals undertaking commercial transactions.

Invariably with enough buying and selling, there will be deals gone wrong which will lead to disputes between members and potentially increased moderation activity. Disallowing buying/selling helps avoid that.

If you look at Amibay, they have an elaborate set of rules to govern buying and selling activity. It's a lot more overhead to try to manage.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 7 of 17, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Another issue is fraud. vcfed allows trading, and doesn't have the capacity to keep a close enough watch on people selling things they don't actually own using pictures scraped off of Facebook marketplace. So it's more trouble than it's worth, and best to keep off of vogons.

Reply 8 of 17, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dleatherhoff wrote on 2026-08-27, 14:50:

Hello,

I have a P6BAT A+ rev 2.2 motherboard so I'm stuck with 100mhz fsb

I think it's easier to just set the existing CPU's FSB to 133 MHz.
There's a 95% chance a 600 Coppermine will work at that speed.

Aopen MX3S, PIII-S Tualatin 1133, Radeon 9800Pro@XT BIOS, Audigy 4 SB0610
JetWay K8T8AS, Athlon DH-E6 3000+, Radeon HD2600Pro AGP, Audigy 2 Value SB0400
Gigabyte Ga-k8n51gmf, Turion64 ML-30@2.2GHz , Radeon X800GTO PL16, Diamond monster sound MX300

Reply 9 of 17, by Dleatherhoff

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie
shevalier wrote on 2026-08-27, 16:46:
Dleatherhoff wrote on 2026-08-27, 14:50:

Hello,

I have a P6BAT A+ rev 2.2 motherboard so I'm stuck with 100mhz fsb

I think it's easier to just set the existing CPU's FSB to 133 MHz.
There's a 95% chance a 600 Coppermine will work at that speed.

From the motherboard's datasheet there is no support for 133 FSB, nor is there a way to modify the multiplier in the bios, at least none that I can see.

Reply 10 of 17, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Depending on the motherboard, there might be some software level support for increasing the FSB. There won't be a way that I am aware of to adjust the CPU multiplier.
I've had some success in the past with using such programs like CPUFSB.
Just food for thought.

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/cpufsb.html

Reply 11 of 17, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

cpufsb does indeed support W83194R-39 used by this board, gives you two options to try:
FSB 112MHz, PCI 37.33(CPU/3)
FSB 133MHz, PCI 33.25(CPU/4)

BUT board manual shows BIOS has support for both FSB and Voltage settings:
"CPU Internal Core Speed
If you set this item to Manual, two new items will appear: CPU Host BUS
Frequency ...
CPU Core Voltage
This item can be used to a set a core voltage for different kinds of processors.
Leave this item at the default value and your system will automatically assign the
correct voltage."
so I would start there

https://github.com/raszpl/sigrok-disk FM/MFM/RLL decoder
https://github.com/raszpl/FIC-486-GAC-2-Cache-Module (AT&T Globalyst)
https://github.com/raszpl/386RC-16 ram board
https://github.com/raszpl/Zenith_ZBIOS Zenith Z-386 MFM-300 ZBIOS disassembly

Reply 12 of 17, by NeoG_

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

PIck up a coppermine 1133/133 with a Slot1 adapter and run it at 850/100, or maybe a bit more if you can get the FSB over 100. Much easier to find.

I ran a 1000/133 at 840/112 using the same method on a 100FSB mainboard.

98/DOS Rig: BabyAT AladdinV, K6-2+/550, V3 2000, 128MB PC100, 20GB HDD, 128GB SD2IDE, SB Live!, SB16-SCSI, PicoGUS, WP32 McCake, iNFRA CD, ZIP100
XP Rig: Lian Li PC-10 ATX, Gigabyte X38-DQ6, Core2Duo E6850, ATi HD5870, 2GB DDR2, 2TB HDD, X-Fi XtremeGamer

Reply 13 of 17, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
NeoG_ wrote on 2026-08-27, 23:48:

PIck up a coppermine 1133/133 with a Slot1 adapter and run it at 850/100, or maybe a bit more if you can get the FSB over 100. Much easier to find.

Are you sure about that? I don't see a single one on ebay. Every 1133 that I see listed is a Tualatin.

I don't think any of the top speed Coppermine chips are common at all.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 14 of 17, by NeoG_

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2026-08-28, 00:04:
NeoG_ wrote on 2026-08-27, 23:48:

PIck up a coppermine 1133/133 with a Slot1 adapter and run it at 850/100, or maybe a bit more if you can get the FSB over 100. Much easier to find.

Are you sure about that? I don't see a single one on ebay. Every 1133 that I see listed is a Tualatin.

I don't think any of the top speed Coppermine chips are common at all.

You are right the 1133 are pretty much all tualatin, and only a few coppermine 1000. I guess the advice is outdated from 18 months ago when there was much more of them on ebay, I just went on there and bought a 1000 for $13.

98/DOS Rig: BabyAT AladdinV, K6-2+/550, V3 2000, 128MB PC100, 20GB HDD, 128GB SD2IDE, SB Live!, SB16-SCSI, PicoGUS, WP32 McCake, iNFRA CD, ZIP100
XP Rig: Lian Li PC-10 ATX, Gigabyte X38-DQ6, Core2Duo E6850, ATi HD5870, 2GB DDR2, 2TB HDD, X-Fi XtremeGamer

Reply 15 of 17, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is one more alternative, though I am not certain of its availability to you.
A 1+ GHz Tualatin Celeron (100MHz bus) and a compatible slotket.
Should the BIOS fail to recognize the Tualatin core, it can be patched with the BIOS Patcher utility.

Aopen MX3S, PIII-S Tualatin 1133, Radeon 9800Pro@XT BIOS, Audigy 4 SB0610
JetWay K8T8AS, Athlon DH-E6 3000+, Radeon HD2600Pro AGP, Audigy 2 Value SB0400
Gigabyte Ga-k8n51gmf, Turion64 ML-30@2.2GHz , Radeon X800GTO PL16, Diamond monster sound MX300

Reply 16 of 17, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shevalier wrote on 2026-08-28, 04:01:

Should the BIOS fail to recognize the Tualatin core, it can be patched with the BIOS Patcher utility.

In my experience, there’s no need to patch it. Worst case scenario, during POST, the displayed CPU type & speed will be completely wrong, but other than that it will work perfectly (as long as the CPU or slotket have been modified to support Tualatin, of course).
I ran Tualatins on boards with unpatched BIOS versions from 1998.

2 x PLCC-68 / 4 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 1 x Skt 4 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 21 x Slot 1 / 8 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 9800X3D
Backup: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

Reply 17 of 17, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have PIII 900E and it is sufficient for all games up to about 2002. Not sure if they still sell. Few years ago I bought a few of them.

Pentium III 900E,ECS P6BXT-A+,384MB,GeForce FX 5600, Voodoo 2,Yamaha SM718
Turion 64 MT-40@2.4Ghz,Gigabyte GA-K8NE,2GB,GeForce GTX 275,Audigy 2ZS
Phenom II X4 965,Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3,8GB,GeForce GTX 780
Vishera FX-8370,Asus 990FX,16GB,GeForce GTX 980 Ti