VOGONS


First post, by plasticfactory

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

I'm looking for cardbus adapters (USB, wifi, etc.) that have the additional hardware mounted "backwards". IE, rotated around the device 180*.

For example, my Dell Inspiron 8200 has two cardbus ports, but I can only use one at a time if I want to leave my Audigy card hooked up due to physical interference. If I could install the cards back-to-back it wouldn't matter.

Hopefully this makes sense, and hopefully someone has a suggestion!

Reply 1 of 4, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There are CardBus-USB and CardBus-SDHC adapters that are as slim as the slot, meaning you can use one in the bottom slot, and a traditionally oriented adapter in the top slot.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 2 of 4, by onethirdxcubed

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Member

I can't think of any CardBus cards that extend below the slot, but the commonly available newly manufactured USB 2.0 and 802.11g adapters available on eBay both don't extend into the upper slot and stay fully in the footprint of a Type II card. To use one of those USB cards properly though you will want a powered hub with a slim connector.
The USB cards come randomly with either VIA or NEC chipsets and are indistinguishable from the label, and you may have compatibility issues with the VIA ones on a laptop that new.

Reply 3 of 4, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
onethirdxcubed wrote on 2026-09-01, 20:07:

The USB cards come randomly with either VIA or NEC chipsets and are indistinguishable from the label, and you may have compatibility issues with the VIA ones on a laptop that new

Oh, yes, I remember VIA chipset cards not working properly on newer laptops, but these were Core 2 Duo laptops from 2006 and later. They should be OK in Pentium 4 era systems like the Inspiron 8200.
https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/laptop- … ansion-cards-1/

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 4 of 4, by plasticfactory

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Newbie

Thanks guys. I actually have one of the slim USB cards on the way. Good to know about the potential pitfalls.

I'll look into the wireless adapter, I couldn't find anything slim but admit I didn't consider something "modern".