First post, by gamdat
I have a Compaq Deskpro 66M (circa 1992/93):
- Processor: 486/66
- Memory: 16MB
- IDE Drive: Conner CP3201G (210MB - Type 51)
- SCSI Drive: Micropolis 2112 (1GB)
- Controller: Compaq 32-Bit Fast-SCSI-2
- Controller: Adaptec AHA 2740/2742/2744 SCSI Host Adapter
- Floppy: 3.5
I'm trying to temporarily attach a different drive in place of the IDE (Conner) drive, so I can make an image of the SCSI (Micropolis) drive. I don't have any way to connect the SCSI drive to my laptop, so I need to somehow get an image of it by using the Compaq itself.
After quite a bit of trial and error, I was able to get a WD Caviar 32500 (2.6GB) connected and booting with FreeDOS 1.4, but there's a couple problems:
The main problem is accessing the SCSI drive which is connected to the Compaq Fast-SCSI-2 controller. I never did know much about configuring DOS drivers and I've pretty much forgotten the little I did know. I looked at the config.sys that's on the original (Conner) drive and the only device lines in config.sys that seem related are:
device=\sys\fws2aspi.sys
device=\sys\fws2disk.sys
I searched through the pile of 3.5" floppies I have and found one that contained those files:
Compaq MS-DOS SCSI Support - SP2398 Ver 2.11 Rev A
I copied the 2 files to the Caviar drive, and added the device lines to the FreeDOS fdconfig.sys. When the system boots, it appears to load fws2aspi.sys, but fails for fws2disk.sys:
The COMPAQ Personal Computer FWS2ASPI Version 1.03 (C) Copyright Compaq Computer Corporation 1988, 1996 […]
The COMPAQ Personal Computer FWS2ASPI Version 1.03
(C) Copyright Compaq Computer Corporation 1988, 1996Controller 1 found in expansion slot 4
SCSI ID 0, LUN 0 --> Compaq 2112FWS2ASPI installed
The COMPAQ Personal Computer FWS2DISK Version 1.01
(C) Copyright Compaq Computer Corporation 1988, 1996Incorrect DOS version
So, I'm guessing the "Incorrect DOS version" error means I need a newer driver (if it exists) or different driver? Or am I just out of luck?
NOTE: If I remove the Caviar (FreeDOS) and boot with the original Conner (Compaq DOS 3.1 I think), I can access the SCSI drive fine. So the controller and drive itself are just fine.
If there's no way to access the SCSI drive when it's connected to the Fast-SCSI-2 controller using FreeDOS, could I move it to the Adaptec controller? Would I have better luck finding a compatible driver?
The next problem is the size of the Caviar as seen by FreeDOS. Currently the Caviar is configured with 2 partitions:
Partition 1: 200MB, FAT-16 (active/boot), FreeDOS
Partition 3: 6MB, Compaq Diagnostics
I'd like to add another partition with the rest of the disk.... or at least a bit more than 1G, so it can hold the image of SCSI drive.
The Compaq System Config sees the Caviar with the correct size (2.6GB) and the correct parameters:
- Heads: 16
- Sectors: 63
- Cylinders: 4960
But when I use fdisk from FreeDOS while is connect to the Compaq it says the drive is only 503 Mbytes. It seems to be seeing the wrong number of cylinders:
- Heads: 16
- Sectors: 63
- Cylinders: 1022
If I connect the Caviar to my laptop using an IDE->USB adapter, boot the drive in a VM and run fdisk that way, it reports 2441 Mbytes (which is 2.4GiB or 2.6GB) and the correct number of cylinders (4960).
So, is the Compaq giving the wrong info to FreeDOS even though System Config shows the correct info? Or is FreeDOS somehow misreading the drive info?
Any help appreciated.